Norfolk International Airport

willy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, urbanvb said:

They already launched the LAX flight a couple days ago. Almost sold out, both directions! 

• Like 3

So I did the math from the first four months and the airport averaged about a 12% growth, compared the first four months of 2022. If everything keeps up, I think 4.5M+ is definitely attainable. It would be amazing if ORF hit 5M this year, but I think that's a goal for 2024-25, esp. once the new hotel and renovations are completed.

8 hours ago, BFG said:

So I did the math from the first four months and the airport averaged about a 12% growth, compared the first four months of 2022. If everything keeps up, I think 4.5M+ is definitely attainable. It would be amazing if ORF hit 5M this year, but I think that's a goal for 2024-25, esp. once the new hotel and renovations are completed.

I’d be willing to wager that with Carnival starting year round operations in 2025, 5 million is a very attainable number. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 5:32 PM, walmartjamesbond said:

Interesting read

Apparently Norfolk Airport Commission has partnered with the Newport News Airport Authority to find a way to drive traffic to the Airport. 

Apparently the Airport is hanging on by a thread. Its final airline, American, is losing money on every flight.

They are looking for assistance with brining the airport other uses. Such as cargo or drone flights. 

The talks of shutting the airport down and building a housing development were thrown out.

Not fully norfolk airport news, but still interesting that we partnered with them. 

They should absolutely go the cargo route. They have so much room for warehouse and runway growth over there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 10:48 PM, Virginia City said:

They should absolutely go the cargo route. They have so much room for warehouse and runway growth over there.

I think the problem is a lot of the cargo would have to come over the HRBT or to Richmond. Both areas already have airports capable of cargo transport…

• Like 1

busiest may in history

According to a press release, ORF saw a 3.3% increase last month with 405,894 passengers, making this the busiest May and the second busiest month overall in the airport’s history. In comparison, the number of passengers in May 2022 was 392,942.”

The fact that we surpassed 400k in one month in mind blowing. End of year numbers are going to be crazy. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

busiest may in history

According to a press release, ORF saw a 3.3% increase last month with 405,894 passengers, making this the busiest May and the second busiest month overall in the airport’s history. In comparison, the number of passengers in May 2022 was 392,942.”

The fact that we surpassed 400k in one month in mind blowing. End of year numbers are going to be crazy. 

Hopefully this is the new trend throughout the whole decade even. This type of growth is what makes developers wake up and decide to expand the airport, which will in turn help expand the city,

8 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Hopefully this is the new trend throughout the whole decade even. This type of growth is what makes developers wake up and decide to expand the airport, which will in turn help expand the city,

Yes very true. Wouldn’t mind seeing Alaska to SEA or PDX. Or Air Canada to Toronto. Even Spirit, Frontier, or Breeze to the Caribbean would be great.

Also patiently waiting on Delta or Breeze to give me a non stop to SLC!

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:47 AM, walmartjamesbond said:

Yes very true. Wouldn’t mind seeing Alaska to SEA or PDX. Or Air Canada to Toronto. Even Spirit, Frontier, or Breeze to the Caribbean would be great.

Also patiently waiting on Delta or Breeze to give me a non stop to SLC!

Would love all of those.  I've been hoping for a Utah connection for a while.  Soon after graduating college I went on a road trip out there and it was absolutely beautiful, and would love for an easy way to get back to see it all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what? RDU just nailed a direct flight to Paris on Air France! I gotta say, that's pretty cool and interesting news. RDU has been killing it in terms of growth, and that's a big win for their airport. You know what? I'm willing to bet that in the next 10-15 years, Hampton Roads as a whole is gonna head in that direction too.

And let me tell you, with this announcement, ORF is sitting pretty for the future. Personally, I think our chances of getting a direct international route just shot up by a huge margin.

Now, here's the thing. RIC is just a two-hour drive from DC or RDU. So, any airline would think twice about offering a non-stop international service there. Mainly because people would just hop in their cars and drive. But you know what's great about ORF? We're perfectly situated, making it a no-brainer for a foreign airline to serve us. We're a coastal town, and we're the gateway to the Outerbanks. I can definitely see that being a ad on some billboard in Germany.

I don’t know if you all have been keeping up with the news, but Breeze just submitted documents to the government to authorize them to offer international flights. From what I hear, the first offerings will be to Mexico out of Provo and Tampa. Very interesting news, as ORF is soon to be the proud keeper of a couple of A220’s.

Since the launch, we’ve only had the E190 and E195s. Who knows, maybe that non-stop to Cabo is only a couple years away. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, walmartjamesbond said:

Guess what? RDU just nailed a direct flight to Paris on Air France! I gotta say, that's pretty cool and interesting news. RDU has been killing it in terms of growth, and that's a big win for their airport. You know what? I'm willing to bet that in the next 10-15 years, Hampton Roads as a whole is gonna head in that direction too.

And let me tell you, with this announcement, ORF is sitting pretty for the future. Personally, I think our chances of getting a direct international route just shot up by a huge margin.

Now, here's the thing. RIC is just a two-hour drive from DC or RDU. So, any airline would think twice about offering a non-stop international service there. Mainly because people would just hop in their cars and drive. But you know what's great about ORF? We're perfectly situated, making it a no-brainer for a foreign airline to serve us. We're a coastal town, and we're the gateway to the Outerbanks. I can definitely see that being a ad on some billboard in Germany.

I don’t know if you all have been keeping up with the news, but Breeze just submitted documents to the government to authorize them to offer international flights. From what I hear, the first offerings will be to Mexico out of Provo and Tampa. Very interesting news, as ORF is soon to be the proud keeper of a couple of A220’s.

Since the launch, we’ve only had the E190 and E195s. Who knows, maybe that non-stop to Cabo is only a couple years away. 

Just for some context, they already have a nonstop flight from RDU-CDG. Delta currently operates it. Air France is basically coming in and taking over that route. I feel like RDU has always been a bit of a dark horse with their air traffic and routes. Certainly something for ORF to shoot for

• Like 2