Norfolk International Airport

willy

I wonder what will happen with no land left to expand with the growing demand?

I don't know Russ. The Feds delayed the additional runway by a couple of years. Even with the new runway, sumultaneous take offs and landings would not be possible because of the limited distance between the two runways. The studies done for the coming expansion may or may not have accounted for the increased use of the smaller regional jets, which could mean more planes and more activity than with the conventional 150-200 seater airtcraft. If the industry moves to more local service and away from their emphasis on major hubs, that could change their economics (more lower wage earning pilots). Then there's the proposal for the big Richmond-Norfolk hub in Isle of Wight County, which might come back someday. I don't want to drive that far..seems like a pain in the butt for both regions.

Yesterday I flew in to ORF from a flight from Ft. Lauderdale (stopover in freakin' Charlotte where we got delayed! :angry: ) but I must admit I am fond of our modest little airport, however, I reallyyyyy do wish we had more direct flights, and I also must admit I was quite impressed with Charlotte's airport, despite the rampant delays yesterday. Its layout and interior design is impressive.

Charlotte Airport is the only reason to fly USAir. It's a small enough hub that you don't feel rushed making your connection. Plus if you have time, you can grab a coffee, sit in a rocking chair and watch the hot girls stream by. Charlotte airport seems to be unusually abundant in that resource. The rocking chairs, that is.

Edited by hoobo

Yesterday I flew in to ORF from a flight from Ft. Lauderdale (stopover in freakin' Charlotte where we got delayed! :angry: ) but I must admit I am fond of our modest little airport, however, I reallyyyyy do wish we had more direct flights, and I also must admit I was quite impressed with Charlotte's airport, despite the rampant delays yesterday. Its layout and interior design is impressive.

If I'm not mistaken, Norfolk does have direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale by Delta Airlines. Norfolk does have quite a bit of direct flights, especially in the northest, but we're seriously lacking in the west and even places like Tennessee...NO direct flights to the whole state!

If I'm not mistaken, Norfolk does have direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale by Delta Airlines. Norfolk does have quite a bit of direct flights, especially in the northest, but we're seriously lacking in the west and even places like Tennessee...NO direct flights to the whole state!

Well, the crusie line arranged the flight, so we had little choice, plus it was cheaper for them and us to go through Charlotte... At least we didn't have to go through Hartsfield in Atlanta... OY. That would've been hell.

Well I guess Norfolk isn't the only one to lose Independence Air now.

Independence Air to Shut Down

It's quite sad. :(

I flew in from LAX to Dulles (Independence's main hub) yesterday and I had a layover of about an hour before I had to catch my connecting flight to Norfolk. I watched as their planes took off and thought how each flight would be one flight closer to the last from that company. My uncle flew IA several times before they pulled out of ORF and he was very impressed.

Charlotte does have a nice airport. I've been in it a few times flying to/from Miami and Louisville. I agree that ORF needs more direct flights as well. I've flown about 4 times in the past two years and have yet to have a direct flight. (At least the layovers havent been more than 90 minutes) On my most recent trip I just returned from, I flew to/from LAX with about an hour layover at Dulles in both directions. It was about as close to direct as you can get from this area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A propasal for new direct flights to and from England during Jamestown 2007 has Norfolk airport excited. The flights would take place at least once weekly from May 2007 to October 2007 - coinciding with the peak of the Jamestown settlement. The flights could become permanent after that, if there's enough demand.

A propasal for new direct flights to and from England during Jamestown 2007 has Norfolk airport excited. The flights would take place at least once weekly from May 2007 to October 2007 - coinciding with the peak of the Jamestown settlement. The flights could become permanent after that, if there's enough demand.

That's great! Where did you hear this from?

Someone mentioned this a while back already didn't they?

They menitoned that they were looking to make direct flights but mentioned both RIC and ORF as contenders. This news appears to mean that maybe the focus has shifted to ORF? :unsure:

As much as I am glad to think that the flights might come to Norfolk (in the Richmond v. Norfolk fight, I can't hide my bias), I can't imagine why, in this case, RIC would be overlooked - their huge expansion and renovation project would have just been completed. Also, I would think just being the capital would would give it the upper hand.

Edited by gosscj

As much as I am glad to think that the flights might come to Norfolk (in the Richmond v. Norfolk fight, I can't hide my bias), I can't imagine why, in this case, RIC would be overlooked - their huge expansion and renovation project would have just been completed. Also, I would think just being the capital would would give it the upper hand.

Norfolk just completed a renovation and expansion a few years ago too. Plus, Norfolk is by far the busiest of the three.

For one thing Jamestown is in our region not Richmonds so it should be a no brainer but Richmond can't keep themselves out of the mix so I would bet that Richmond will get it because they are greedy and want the money from it.

I think there's more clout to be won in this situation than money. And Jamestown might be a part of Hampton Roads' metro area but it is pretty central to both locations so it's not unreasonable to expect Richmond to compete for much of the publicity and tourism. If we're going to get upset about Richmond trying to "steal" the flights from the rigtful recipient, then we should wonder also why Norfolk has the gall to try to steal from Newport News/Williamsburg. They are, after all, the closest airport by far.

Yeah i just read that. too bad its on crappy PROPELLER plane service. I think Delta would have been wiser to add a real jet instead of increasing the number of flights. The bigger jets was cited as a reason why some people prefer PHF over ORF.

Propeller? Hmm... <_< . I didn't see that part. You won't catch me on a prop plane ever again if I have anything to say about it so yeah, I can see how that would be a disadvantage for Norfolk.

Propeller? Hmm... <_< . I didn't see that part. You won't catch me on a prop plane ever again if I have anything to say about it so yeah, I can see how that would be a disadvantage for Norfolk.

Yeah here's where it said that in the article: -_-

Norfolk International Airport's new flight, on a 37-seat propeller plane, will depart at 7 a.m. daily.

I agree with you vdogg. Of the two dozen airplane flights I have taken in the past few years, I have always rode on big jets and I want that to continue. I don't know exactly how these compare, but I know many Asian carriers seem to prefer using big planes sparingly rather than small planes often. Our local airport (Naha International Airport) has flights to a few places that are only on a two, three, or five times a week frequency but they use big planes. They seem to work here, but maybe the American traveler is different? :unsure:

Yeah here's where it said that in the article: -_-

I agree with you vdogg. Of the two dozen airplane flights I have taken in the past few years, I have always rode on big jets and I want that to continue. I don't know exactly how these compare, but I know many Asian carriers seem to prefer using big planes sparingly rather than small planes often. Our local airport (Naha International Airport) has flights to a few places that are only on a two, three, or five times a week frequency but they use big planes. They seem to work here, but maybe the American traveler is different? :unsure:

I've always been partial to something that can take a hit. I feel much safer in big bulky planes. Those prop planes always feel like they're held together by glue and duct tape. I'm flying to Miami on the 23rd and I have a connector flight in Newark before i fly the rest of the way down to FLL. It's continental airlines but it also says expressjet on the ticket. I hope the jet part means it will actually be a jet instead of one of those puny little prop commuter lines. :unsure: