Norfolk International Airport

willy

actually NewNewWilly can handle all planes Norfolk can except the A380

Considering that the runway is 1,000 feet shorter than norfolk's longest that would not be true. However, both runways can handle any plane that is built. The problem isn't the plane, the problem is how much weight the plane is carrying, (cargo, fuel) These are what determine the length of runway needed. Neither norfolk, or newport news, have runways long enough to land 747 fully fueled and fully stocked. This is one area that both airports need to look at and remedy.

I've always been partial to something that can take a hit. I feel much safer in big bulky planes. Those prop planes always feel like they're held together by glue and duct tape. I'm flying to Miami on the 23rd and I have a connector flight in Newark before i fly the rest of the way down to FLL. It's continental airlines but it also says expressjet on the ticket. I hope the jet part means it will actually be a jet instead of one of those puny little prop commuter lines. :unsure:

American Airlines has direct flights to Miami as you might know and they're on jets, although smaller. The flights from Miami to Norfolk are on 44-seat ERJ-140's.

Edited by okinawatyphoon

American Airlines has direct flights to Miami as you might know and they're on jets, although smaller. The flights from Miami to Norfolk are on planes like the one pictured below:

N805AE_1_IAD.JPG.19554.jpg

Yeah but it was cheaper to take continental and get a connector to Fort Lauderdale and then just take a cab the rest of the way (only 2 minutes away). I see what you're saying though.

• 1 month later...

Good news!

According to the Southwest Airlines route map, Nashville is listed as a city that has DIRECT flights to Norfolk. I'm not sure if this is effective yet or if it is just coming soon, but a quick Google search yielded no annoucements. Hopefully this is true. :)

EDIT: It appears to be coming soon, although I can find no annoucement or news from anyone. I'll contact the Norfolk Airport.

Edited by okinawatyphoon

Here's the breakdown of new flights:

Southwest will add two new flights this summer. In both cases it's weekend-only service that begins on July 7 and ends after Labor Day.

1. A second Chicago (MDW) flight will depart Chicago around 9:00 P.M. on Friday nights. This flight will overnight in Norfolk and return to MDW on Saturday morning.

2. A flight from Nashville (BNA) will depart BNA around 8:00 P.M. on Saturday nights. This flight will overnight in Norfolk and return to BNA on Sunday morning.

No news on JetBlue yet. Their schedule planners have indicated that ORF is high on list of potential new cities. We're certainly ready for them whenever they decide the time is right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was bored and watched Norfolk Perspectives and they had a feature on Norfolk Airport. The director said that they visited Montreal a month ago and are hopeful to start Air Canada here again. They are also working hard to get starter charter flights between Norfolk and Britain for the 2007 Jamestown festival, in hopes of proving there is a market for direct flights to Britain in the future. Pete Decker is the big pusher behind this. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...