GSP Form Arrangement POLL ADDED

Spartan

GSP arrangement  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should the arrangement be changed?

• Leave it alone! They should stay separate
    • Change it to a combined GSP forum
    • Abstain
    • Other (please specify)

There are a host of Greer topics in the Greenville and Spartanburg forums as the city is related to both metro areas. Should we combine them into one area?

There isn't really a good place for them, that much is for sure. I'm not sure that there is enough to warrant a dedicated forum. If we give one to Greer then we'd have to include Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, Lexington, and so on at some point, and that is not something I want to do.

One idea I have played with is to combine Greenville and Spartanburg into one forum with both cities. This would take care of suburban areas that are influenced by both cities. This way there is no question about thread locations, and since the two cities are combined on most levels it may be an option worth considering.

Thoughts?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't really a good place for them, that much is for sure. I'm not sure that there is enough to warrant a dedicated forum. If we give one to Greer then we'd have to include Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, Lexington, and so on at some point, and that is not something I want to do.

One idea I have played with is to combine Greenville and Spartanburg into one forum with both cities. This would take care of suburban areas that are influenced by both cities. This way there is no question about thread locations, and since the two cities are combined on most levels it may be an option worth considering.

Thoughts?

Negative, for the simple fact that most people posting here (and living in the Upstate) still differentiate between the two cities. You yourself have said over and over that you see the two as completely individual.

After reading your post again, I have to ask whether you are saying you want to create another form of an "Upstate" forum once again, with subforums for Greenville and Spartanburg? As I have said before, that would make the most sense.

Negative, for the simple fact that most people posting here (and living in the Upstate) still differentiate between the two cities. You yourself have said over and over that you see the two as completely individual.

I know what I think. I am asking what others think. You are correct that I ahve stated in the past that I am not in favor of such an arrangement, but its worth considering if everyone thinks its a good idea. Odds are they won't.

After reading your post again, I have to ask whether you are saying you want to create another form of an "Upstate" forum once again, with subforums for Greenville and Spartanburg? As I have said before, that would make the most sense.

Perhaps your question should be posted in the Greenville thread as well?

For such an announcement as the new 250 million dollar investment, it really has no home in our system as it stands today. It's happening in Greater Greenville (Greer), but in Spartanburg County. Just like the Village at Pelham. Where should it go? It's in the same boat... Some sort of consolidation might work best, but I really don't know. The moderators are most informed and knowledgible about these things and what would make their job easiest. :) I think that these two developments are clear evidence that Greenville and Spartanburg are certainly becoming more closely related. If there has ever been a time to combine the two in some way on UP (due to growth patterns and development) then the time is now, I believe.

According to the audio clip on the Greenville News website, Greenville-Spartanburg are the same size as Dallas-Forth Worth were in 1954 and is growing faster than they were in 1954 too. So, in other terms in 50 years we will be bigger than Dallas-Fort Worth is currently at the current growing rate. Good question, GvilleSC. Where should it go?

That doesn't follow, since DFW has been growing much, much faster for the past few years than it was 50 years ago; in other words, the metro's growth rate hasn't held steady since 1954, and there's no reason to think GSP's will as well.

One subforum could work; it works for the Triangle, which is similar in composition to the Upstate. However, the sheer activity of the Greenville subforum would warrant it having its own section IMO.

^That's if current growth rates hold steady, and that's a big "if."

One subforum could work; it works for the Triangle, which is similar in composition to the Upstate. However, the sheer activity of the Greenville subforum would warrant it having its own section IMO.

It also works for the NC triad too. Your right about it being a big "if" also.

If we change the current arrangement, the only option that I would be up for considering (unless there is a very convincing argument for something else) would be this:

• Spartanburg and Greenville collapsed into an SC Upstate forum, GSP

• Greenville construction thread collapsed into Greenville

• Create a coffeehouse for GSP forum as a subforum

• New forum would have Greenville, Spartanburg, and Greer listed for it's description.

If we change the current arrangement, the only option that I would be up for considering (unless there is a very convincing argument for something else) would be this:
  • Spartanburg and Greenville collapsed into an SC Upstate forum, GSP

• Greenville construction thread collapsed into Greenville

• Create a coffeehouse for GSP forum as a subforum

• New forum would have Greenville, Spartanburg, and Greer listed for it's description.

I like the first one of the four, personally. Can we have a coffee house and a construction subforum or is that not allowed?

Metro is saying that if we do this, those for points are what will have to happen.

You are right that Greenville itself is much busier than the Triad or Triangle. Infact, Greenville is one of those most active sections on UP. One of my personal objections is that it could probably drown out Spartanburg happenings. But on the other hand it may encourage people to read what's happening there and participate more. I want to hear from some of our Spartanburg posters...

as for me i feel that the upstate as a whole is my home because i spend so much time in both cities. i'm almost just as familiar and interested with Greenville now as i am with spartanburg so i vote for them to be combined. in my opinion, the upstate is growing together very quickly and will soon become one huge metro and i think that it should begin to be treated that way.

First, I like the current way more than the previous way of having Greenville and Spartanburg forums buried under an Upstate forum, which was a subforum of the South Carolina forum. That was too confusing and too difficult for most people to navigate.

I personally consider Greenville-Spartanburg to be one metropolitan area, much like Dallas-Fort Worth or Minneapolis-St. Paul. I think it is silly for the Census to split the two up, as they are both obviously very closely related in geography and development (I think they will be recombined by 2010, but that is irrelevent here).

I like monsoon's ideas, though. Why can't we have one forum, called "Greenville-Spartanburg" (I think this is MUCH better than "Upstate", since most people not from here don't know what that encompasses) that includes monsoon's ideas? Posts for Greer will obviously fall into this metro, and Anderson could even be included as well if demand warrants it.

I think Spartanburg would benefit from such an arrangement, in that the many people who read about Greenville would also be exposed to things going on in Spartanburg. I for one never read the Spartanburg forum, and things going on there seem like a different world even though it's not very far geographically. If it were combined with Greenville, I would be much more likely to peruse Spartanburg topics.

The big thing required for this to work well is cooperation and understanding. I think it would be up to all of us in Greenville and Spartanburg to join together as one metro (which is what we are), and eliminate any feelings of competition, dominance, or inferiority we tend to have. Do you guys think it can work?

First, I like the current way more than the previous way of having Greenville and Spartanburg forums buried under an Upstate forum, which was a subforum of the South Carolina forum. That was too confusing and too difficult for most people to navigate.

I personally consider Greenville-Spartanburg to be one metropolitan area, much like Dallas-Fort Worth or Minneapolis-St. Paul. I think it is silly for the Census to split the two up, as they are both obviously very closely related in geography and development (I think they will be recombined by 2010, but that is irrelevent here).

I like monsoon's ideas, though. Why can't we have one forum, called "Greenville-Spartanburg" (I think this is MUCH better than "Upstate", since most people not from here don't know what that encompasses) that includes monsoon's ideas? Posts for Greer will obviously fall into this metro, and Anderson could even be included as well if demand warrants it.

I think Spartanburg would benefit from such an arrangement, in that the many people who read about Greenville would also be exposed to things going on in Spartanburg. I for one never read the Spartanburg forum, and things going on there seem like a different world even though it's not very far geographically. If it were combined with Greenville, I would be much more likely to peruse Spartanburg topics.

The big thing required for this to work well is cooperation and understanding. I think it would be up to all of us in Greenville and Spartanburg to join together as one metro (which is what we are), and eliminate any feelings of competition, dominance, or inferiority we tend to have. Do you guys think it can work?

I'm with you on this. I'd like to see it combined and I'd like to read more of spartanburg's stuff, which I would if they were together. Right now I don't venture under the Spartanburg Subforum and it really seems so seperate on here, when the two cities or metros really aren't.

The sentiment from some of the Spartan posters seems to be to leave it like it is. I don't know why they haven't come over here to share their thoughts. Maybe they will later on.

Its understandable though. If we combine them it will make those intersted in Spartanburg issues have to dig through a lot of topics to find what they want. Spartanburg is a less active forum, but I think once development pick up in the city that people will become more interested in discussing what is happening there.

The sentiment from some of the Spartan posters seems to be to leave it like it is. I don't know why they haven't come over here to share their thoughts. Maybe they will later on.

Its understandable though. If we combine them it will make those intersted in Spartanburg issues have to dig through a lot of topics to find what they want. Spartanburg is a less active forum, but I think once development pick up in the city that people will become more interested in discussing what is happening there.

That's true and I would not want that to happen if i were in their shoes. But like myself and others have said- we'd like to see more of what's happening in Spartanburg. Maybe our activity in those threads in addition to Spartans' would keep the topics current and toward the top... But then again, it might not. This is tough and BIG decision to be made... You've heard the sides, you know the area and the forumers-- You'll make the right choice for us all, i'm sure.

That's true and I would not want that to happen if i were in their shoes. But like myself and others have said- we'd like to see more of what's happening in Spartanburg. Maybe our activity in those threads in addition to Spartans' would keep the topics current and toward the top... But then again, it might not. This is tough and BIG decision to be made... You've heard the sides, you know the area and the forumers-- You'll make the right choice for us all, i'm sure.

I say try it and if it doesn't work, then switch it back to the way it was.

We had Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson forum nearly a year ago. Greenville and Spartanburg has much activity to warrant their subforums.

I would prefer going back to the previous lineup:

-Upstate SC (Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg counties in general; may include Abbeville, Greenwood, Laurens and Union counties)

--Anderson (new subforum)

--Greer (new subforum)

--Greenville

--Spartanburg

We should enhance the region as a whole while going in depth into the region's major minicupalities.

Archived