Gaming Industry in Norfolk?

kvaughn

What ever happened to the proposal to have riverboat gaming in Norfolk? I think that the city is mature enough to support it without massive amounts of crimes being commited downtown and i also believe that it would spur more development in the area. What do you guys think?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ever happened to the proposal to have riverboat gaming in Norfolk? I think that the city is mature enough to support it without massive amounts of crimes being commited downtown and i also believe that it would spur more development in the area. What do you guys think?

First of all, welcome to the forum. :) I don't remember that proposal but that may have come out before i moved down here. In my personal opinion, I would rather not have Norfolk go down that road. I'm sure we could handle it but as far as "image" goes I just don't think it would be too good. Norfolk has come very far from its seedy, burlesque, image and I think it has benefitted because of that. I'd just hate to see us return to that type of reputation.

First of all, welcome to the forum. :) I don't remember that proposal but that may have come out before i moved down here. In my personal opinion, I would rather not have Norfolk go down that road. I'm sure we could handle it but as far as "image" goes I just don't think it would be too good. Norfolk has come very far from its seedy, burlesque, image and I think it has benefitted because of that. I'd just hate to see us return to that type of reputation.

i was thinking the same also but the main reason i was thinking of it was for transportation revenue seeing as to how the state pretty much left us our own for money for road projects

i was thinking the same also but the main reason i was thinking of it was for transportation revenue seeing as to how the state pretty much left us our own for money for road projects

I think that Va. Beach and brother Pat Robinson will beat us to it! :)

Sup K... Hey V-dogg, I recruited him to this board and it gives us lots to talk about at work!

I think that the gaming industry is definitely in our future somewhere in H/R and if they ever close Oceana, I say go for it there.

What do you think the people would say to me if I proposed gambling for the Fort Monroe property? :ph34r:

Sup K... Hey V-dogg, I recruited him to this board and it gives us lots to talk about at work!

I think that the gaming industry is definitely in our future somewhere in H/R and if they ever close Oceana, I say go for it there.

What do you think the people would say to me if I proposed gambling for the Fort Monroe property? :ph34r:

Hey man i caught you. Thats a great idea also. im hooked lol

I'm here to squash your smack. VB outlawed riverboat gambling including cruises-to-nowhere where gambling only takes place outside state waters (3 miles out). Long Pointe Marina is the end result as one of the proposals called for transforming the decrepit marina that was there into a riverboat site and later a cruise-to-nowhere dock. It was eventually killed and Long Pointe Marina was built instead.

Gaming in VA is a LOOOOONG shot anyway. We have some Native American tribes that cannot get legal recognition due to the fact that some politician is afraid that we will have gambling in the commonwealth as a result... oh wait what is the lottery again? Ooops nevermind...

Here is a link to the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Ashby_Plecker

This is interesting. I don't know if Va. will allow it. They have a lotto system but I think they will try to stop it. This could really help the city out.

they didnt allow it when that was written around 96 but i just read that in 2004 Biloxi miss made $911 million last year. Can you imagine what norfolk would bring in?

they didnt allow it when that was written around 96 but i just read that in 2004 Biloxi miss made $911 million last year. Can you imagine what norfolk would bring in?

oops i meant 2004 they did not count last year because of Katrina

This issue is dead in the water (no pun intended). It isn't being proposed by anyone in the general assembly right now (that I know of).

I guess only time will tell. I wonder what kind of crowd it brings though. Did the crime increase in those areas after it was introduced?

Archived