Capitol Park Complex

richyb83

The new building renderings look nice,but I wish they would have a little more narrow with Iberville and Bienville buildings, and added more height. They could do the same with this new building taking the old Insurance building's place, make it about 10 - 12 floors. I'm glad they demolished that education building,that was one ugly building!

I disagree. This building is in Spanish town, and I don't think that anything taller than 4 or 5 floors would be right....they need to maintain a buffer there. I would rather see private development there, but being so close to the capitol, this is a perfect place for state offices. We all knew it would be something to house state offices. The rendering looks very institutional, especially comparing them to the details in the gateway buildings or the roofline of the Galvez building. It might look potentially attractive in the drawings, but I hope that it will be executed better than whatever that building is across the capitol lake from the capitol. I don't think it will be ugly.

That being said, a taller, narrower building would go with the rest of the capitol campus. I'd love to see one like that, but it's very close to a bunch of 1-2 story single and mutli family residences. I hope the setbacks and landscaping along 6th street and the south elevation of this building is really something.

For an example of what I would like to see more of, google the "Rivoli" Theatre in Portugal but with smaller windows and more right angles to mirror the other state buildings. The key is the statues and figures in the stonework along with the relatively imposing, plain shaped strucuture. http://www.asia.cinedie.com/images/fantasporto05_rivoli.jpg

Edited by cajun

• 7 months later...

The Gateway to the Capitol Park Complex on Fourth Street

*Iberville Bldg(left); Bienville Bldg(right)

102008028yo2.jpg

The Capitol Park Complex still has 2 more projects to complete....

* The future amphitheatre site off Lafayette Street is still fenced off; nothing yet; guess the site is still getting prepped??

* The future state office bldg/parking garage(above Post#24) off Fifth Street near the Old Arsenal just secured $11 million ; not sure when construction will begin??

Edited by richyb83

• 10 months later...

Here is the new rendering from the Coleman Architects website that buckett5425 spoke of in BR Developbit thread...NICE IMPROVEMENT from the old rendering in Post #24 above

The new Economic Development Bldg....this is a nice sized building...how would Capitol Lofts at the next block be too big?? I think they would compliment each other! JMO :shades:

capitolofficeparkfinalc.jpg

Edited by richyb83

Here is the new rendering from the Coleman Architects website that buckett5425 spoke of in BR Developbit thread...NICE IMPROVEMENT from the old rendering in Post #24 above

The new Economic Development Bldg....this is a nice sized building...how would Capitol Lofts at the next block be too big?? I think they would compliment each other! JMO :shades:

capitolofficeparkfinalc.jpg

Richy, I couldn't agree more, and we've been saying this from the beginning, including david slaughter. The civic association however claims that Capitol Lofts most conform with Spanish Town, and not the new state building. I find that ironic considering with the streets involved, and land elevation, the capitol lofts project is more related to capitol park, then it is to spanish town....

Exactly buckett! Capitol Lofts is much like a Capitol Park type development; than Spanish Town...but don't tell that to the historic ass-ociation :stop:

Yeah Dan...that virus has been going around...got my computer back in June...frustrating...thankfully my brother is a computer dude and fixed it....impressive technology being able to post on the phone!

but don't tell that to the historic ass-ociation :stop:

:lol:

Yeah Dan...that virus has been going around...got my computer back in June...frustrating...thankfully my brother is a computer dude and fixed it....impressive technology being able to post on the phone!

My dad's a computer person too, but even he couldn't handle this one, had to take it to someone else.

Yup, when I got my phone I made sure it had a nice big touch screen so I could stay current on UrbanPlanet while on the go.

• 4 months later...

Looks like this is gonna be a while...at least it has priority

Budget concerns delay state building plan

Building a new home for Louisiana’s economic development department has moved to the back burner but is far from forgotten.

Department Secretary Stephen Moret addressed the topic after a press club luncheon last week, saying he still wants to consolidate his office with some other state functions in a multistory building that would be built, along with a parking garage space, on the site of the former Insurance Department building.

Moret acknowledges the state’s fiscal challenges, with budget gaps of $1 billion or more in consecutive years, as a reason why nothing will happen soon with the project that would be located cater-cornered to the Capitol on the edge of Spanish Town.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/83314142.html

*rendering shown in above Post #30

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Proposed building shown on above Post #30....wonder what will become of this??

State property in B.R. valued at $2M less than expected

Gov. Bobby Jindal's plan to sell property near the Louisiana Capitol is running into wrinkles that could shrink dollars already planned for use in the state budget. The latest appraisal for the site of the former insurance building in downtown Baton Rouge came in at $2.8 million, well below the $5 million the Jindal administration anticipated. Meanwhile, some state lawmakers are expressing reservations about selling the real estate to private investors rather than using it for government office space. The House and Senate natural resources committees are scheduled to discuss the land sale next week. But the chairman of the Senate committee, Sen. Gerald Long, says he's not sure if lawmakers will vote on the issue, given the list of outstanding questions and concerns

http://www.businessr...M&date=20121101

Edited by richyb83

• 3 months later...

Since the Economic Development Bldg(POST#30) does not look it will ever happen... Might this be the ideal location for the once proposed 6-story Capitol Lofts that was shot at the next block(to the east) down by the SpanishTown Civic Association?? There should not be any concerns over a height limitation since the property once housed the 9 or 10-story Dept of Insurance Bldg(Post#22)...in the shadow of the State Capitol.

Capitol grounds site on block for $5 million

The former Department of Insurance site on the grounds of the State Capitol is again on the block this year, and the asking price is $5 million. Commissioner of Administration Kristy Nichols told the Joint Legislative Budget Committee today that the 17-lot tract is for sale, along with more than $40 million worth of other state-owned properties. The site that was formerly home to an insurance building currently has a two-story parking garage located on it but is otherwise vacant. What makes it unique among the properties on the state's list of those for sale is that it's one of the last remaining open parcels of land on the Capitol grounds—leading some to question why the state would want to sell property in such a prime location to a private developer. "A lot of people have concerns about it because it is a state-owned property, and a lot of lawmakers were hearing certain things about what might be done with it," says Sen. Gerald Long, R-Winnfield, who chairs the Senate Natural Resources Committee, which must approve the transfer of the site to the Division of Administration before it can be sold. Another concern surrounds the appraised value of the property. The state had at least two appraisals done on the site last year: one valued it at close to $5 million, the other less than $3 million. "They want nearly $5 million for it, and I'm not sure that is what the appraised value is," says Rep. Pat Smith, D-Baton Rouge, whose district includes the building site. "It's one thing to sell state property. It's another to make sure you get the best price for it."

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM#ixzz2Lh6vasoe

I think residential would be ideal for that location. I definately wouldn't want to see anything overshadow the Capitol complex in height or design. It's proximity to the Capitol would make it ideal for higher end housing. I'd want it to compliment both Spanish Town and the Weiss influenced Capitol complex within reason. Not a easy task.

I don't think 5 or 6 floors is unreasonable, but at the same time I could understand Spanish town residents crying foul over that. Not sure if they have a leg to stand on.

I also think it would be a wasted opportunity if a retail or restaurant component was not included, given the number of workers present in that area.

I'm honestly glad this property became available. The state is already pressed for cash, and federal cuts are inevitable. There is more than enough square footage of office space in Baton Rouge and in that capitol complex to house state workers. A state building would likely have not produced any street level spaces for restaurants either, which I think is appropriate for the Lakeland/5th intersection.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

If designed properly, I believe the redevelopment of that site could be wonderful. Small, mixed-use, linear buildings could front 5th street while the other edges of the lot  could be reserved for a few three story, but mainly two story town homes and apartments. The trick to pulling it off would be to incorporate many different massing, styles, and grouping of the buildings, similar to the current Spanish Town tectonic.

My fear would be that a market study would be guiding the design, and not common sense, leading to a giant, over-scaled building, just as the Capitol Lofts was proposed. 

I agree....varying styles and scales would be ideal. There's always a chance a study shows low demand and the property is developed in phases over the span of 5 or 6 years. Hopefully a local developer picks it up.

I'm not one to defend NIMBY's....but the towering buildings along north street, as much as I like them, are completely out of scale with the smaller homes and offices on University Walk and 6th street. They did sort of get the raw end of the deal there.

On the other hand, for infill projects near Arsenal Park, I think it's only fair that Spanish Town accept a certain increase in density. No one is going build a single family shoe box in that location. Their expectations for that property are not reasonable, IMO.

Fighting something to the scale of southgate towers or RiverPlace is totally justified, but a 3 or 4 level condominium is very reasonable....and would probably have a positive effect on nearby property values if done correctly.

Like you said, the best way to do this is to develop the section along 5th street separately from the others, with a different setup and feel.

Edited by cajun

Here is a quick rendering of the concept I was talking about. I also agree cajun, that phasing the development will give it the best chance of varying the styles and massing. A demand does exist for office space for lobbyist though...

I like it. I'm sure political gymnastics would have to be exercised to get any plan passed there.

A $5 million price tag for the land is going to dictate a certain required square footage. I'm afraid the sections facing 5th and the arsenal grounds may have to be fairly high density to justify the price of the land and the demolition of the garage already on site. That density may not be easy to stomach for Spanish Town. Their history of blocking reasonable scale development makes that property worth less than what the state will ask for it, IMO.

Hopefully some common sense will be exercised when developing this property. I want something special there, and I'm willing to wait for it.

Edited by cajun

I like it. I'm sure political gymnastics would have to be exercised to get any plan passed there.

A $5 million price tag for the land is going to dictate a certain required square footage. I'm afraid the sections facing 5th and the arsenal grounds may have to be fairly high density to justify the price of the land and the demolition of the garage already on site. That density may not be easy to stomach for Spanish Town. Their history of blocking reasonable scale development makes that property worth less than what the state will ask for it, IMO.

Hopefully some common sense will be exercised when developing this property. I want something special there, and I'm willing to wait for it.

I completely agree, but lets get something straight, the Capitol Lofts development was't of a reasonable scale. 

The houses that were to be demolished for the Capitol Lofts development have now been completely renovated and have been rented. They look great. 

Edited by buckett5425

That lot is a perfect location that needs development. I do like the rendering, Buckett, and agree with it. I'm afraid any attempt to put high density housing will be met with fierce force from Spanish Town residents and there is a high chance that this development, if done right, will raise values in the neighborhood.

Richy, I couldn't agree more, and we've been saying this from the beginning, including david slaughter. The civic association however claims that Capitol Lofts most conform with Spanish Town, and not the new state building. I find that ironic considering with the streets involved, and land elevation, the capitol lofts project is more related to capitol park, then it is to spanish town....

Just curious...is this change of heart bec you have some skin in the game now/you helped renovate some of the rental units??

BTW thanks for the attached thumbnail.. like that design...i wouldn't mind seeing 4 or 5 floor lofts fronting Fifth Street(west) & State Capitol Drive overlooking Arsenal Park(north)...maybe reserve the 2 or 3 floors for Lakeland Drive & Sixth Street. Anything would be better than the vacant cement slab now....

Just curious...is this change of heart bec you have some skin in the game now/you helped renovate some of the rental units??

BTW thanks for the attached thumbnail.. like that design...i wouldn't mind seeing 4 or 5 floor lofts fronting Fifth Street(west) & State Capitol Drive overlooking Arsenal Park(north)...maybe reserve the 2 or 3 floors for Lakeland Drive & Sixth Street. Anything would be better than the vacant cement slab now....

I have a better appreciation for architecture now. 

The Capitol Lofts development was market driven, meaning profit. The pro forma stated X amount of units were needed to maximize profit, so the architect created a volume that would house X amount of units, and then like lipstick, slapped architectural elements to the volume to make it appear attractive. That is not the type of architecture I think will be successful in Spanish Town, however, the Elysian, built using the exact same mantra, in an open field across from Spanish Town is perfectly okay with me....

Well it's about time! :)

Unfortunately profit and market driven pressure is what makes or breaks a real estate development. The trick is finding an appropriate design that can earn enough money for the developer to make the whole package viable.

It's one of the reasons I associate many new homes with McMansion trash and many "modernist" commercial properties as giant boxes sheathed in glass and metal with no concern for their surroundings. At least the McMansion developer has the decency to mostly build in the middle of nowhere.

I honestly felt like the units in question were appropriate because Spanish town is flanked by high density housing on the south and east.....and none of if is even remotely attractive.

Lake Towers looks like some Yamasaki garbage design to me. It's on the same trash pile as Kirby Smith, IMO.....only slightly better than some mid century soviet residential design. I think I can draw a floor plan of those buildings just by looking at them :)

Edited by cajun

I should clarify that statement...

I never realized how hard it is to be a good architect and how easy it is to be a terrible one. Some designers truly have bad ideas, but for  those designers with good ideas,  when money is tight at your firm, you're more worried about meeting the clients needs, and collecting a check, than meeting the needs of the community. The trick is balancing both needs, but if you frustrate the client, they will simply turn to another architect with a cheaper fee who gives them exactly what they want, which in most cases, isn't the best option for the community, but the best option for their wallet.

I have completed four of the seven Architectural Registration Exams and will have the other three finished by May. I will receive my license in December"ish" when my Internship Development Program is complete. I know exactly what I want to do now, and hope to make architecture a part time hobby so I can pick and choose my clients and derive my income from other sources, to avoid working for awful clients. haha. 

I do have some great clients though, that I love, when some of those projects are complete, if y'all ever comment on them in this forum, Ill let you know that it was my work.  ;)

• Like 1