The Film Industry in South Carolina

goodbye

Since SC has a history of being in major movies (Deliverence, Forrest Gump, The Patriot, Radio, to name a few), and with the latest about to begin prepoduction, I thought it would be beneficial to open a new discussion for anything related to the film industry in this state.

The new film, 'Death Sentence,' starring Kevin Bacon, will be filmed throughout the state, but mostly in Columbia. Read More.

Another film will be shot in Rock Hill, but I can't remember who was producing it, and haven't found the info online yet.

Additional links:

SCFilmOffice.com

Feel free to add anything you'd like.

:shades:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The half constructed cooling tower of an unfinished nuclear plant in Cherokee County was the scene for the underwater lab in The Abyss....

Lake Limestone at Limestone College in Gaffney was used in the filming of The Hunt for Red October...

• 3 weeks later...

They were hyping the film industry in SC 23 years ago, nothing much ever developed then, or now. Some guy named Earl Owensby was going to build a big studio in Myrtle Beach. Never went anywhere. They only make movies down South to save production costs or to find a unique location. Hasn't been much of an economic force. But the Film Commission bureaucrats in Columbia have to justify their cushy jobs somehow.

Since SC has a history of being in major movies (Deliverence, Forrest Gump, The Patriot, Radio, to name a few), and with the latest about to begin prepoduction, I thought it would be beneficial to open a new discussion for anything related to the film industry in this state.

The new film, 'Death Sentence,' starring Kevin Bacon, will be filmed throughout the state, but mostly in Columbia. Read More.

Another film will be shot in Rock Hill, but I can't remember who was producing it, and haven't found the info online yet.

Additional links:

SCFilmOffice.com

Feel free to add anything you'd like.

:shades:

• 2 weeks later...

They had a casting call in Dutch Square Mall (columbia) this past sat. looking for extra's for the new movie there filming in columbia with Kevin Bacon. Over 1,000 people came in for the audition. They're having another one soon so that was a great opportunity for S.C.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason Joel Silver owns a house in SC is because he is a Frank Lloyd Wright fanatic, and he had the opportunity to buy one of Wright's more famous works: 'Auldbrass' in Yemassee.

There are a fair number of directors and producers who have houses in South Carolina. Joel Silver comes to mind.

I see the SC Film Office missed a movie!!

The airport scene in the movie Con Air is in Charleston.

Shooting is underway in Columbia. Last night several blocks of N. Main were closed. Appeared they were filming in the parking lot of a small used car dealership just off Elmwood.

Their base camp is at the corner of Elmwood and Sumter, almost next door to the annual Greek Festival that begins today. Man, that part of town is jumping this week.

Archived