The Film Industry in South Carolina

goodbye

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More news in today's Augusta Chronicle about "Who's Your Caddy" including the B-list lineup of stars ;)

Big Boi (from Outkast)

Jeffrey Jones (apparently had a decent role in Ferris Bueller)

Faizon Love (Elf)

Andy Milonakis (MTV)

Shooting has begun, and includes 29 days of shooting in Aiken (mostly at a private polo club and the Willcox Inn), 2 days at the Modjeska Theatre and Bar in Augusta, and 1 day in Columbia...

• 2 weeks later...

George Clooney's major motion picture, 'Leatherheads' will indeed use locations in the Upstate, as hoped! Possible sites included are various historic structures in both downtown Greenville and downtown Anderson. Renee Zellweger is in negatiations as a co-star for the film as well. More great news for our state's film industry! :shades:

Read more here...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Filming of George Clooney's new movie, 'Leatherheads' has been happening all over the Upstate in lately, and sightings of Clooney and Renee Zewegger in downtown Greenville have been regular.

Downtown's new High Cotton Maverick Bar & Grill hosted an invitation-only preview for the cast of 'Leatherheads' last evening. It was an apparent success, as expected. :shades:

Before long, when film makers choose South Carolina they'll be able to do all of their indoor shooting in Cayce. The first building of what will the the state's only indoor (state of the art) filming complex is all but complete in the little burb adjacent to Columbia. I was in that area the other day and and saw it. It looks really nice.

I remember reading and seeing that before it was constructed. I recall that it was payed for using state money. Hopefully similar projects will be built in other parts of the state, since filming here typically takes place in one region at a time. There was talk once of an Upstate film studio to be privately built, however, that never happened to my knowledge.

Downtown Greenville was buzzing this past weekend with the filming of "Leatherheads." Really though, pedestrian traffic was not noticeably higher (there is always lots of people enjoying downtown Greenville on a beautiful weekend), but there was a group of fans watching waiting behind the caution tape all day. I saw George Clooney in one scene in the afternoon, as well as Michael York walking along Main Street. I did not notice Rene Zellweger (that I knew of anyway).

Here are a couple shots from yesterday evening in downtown:

LeatherheadsHotel_02.jpg

LeatherheadsHotel_03.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a pretty good editorial from The State that argues that it decreasing incentives to filmmakers shooting in SC was a good idea. The argument is pretty much that incentives should only go to those areas where we have significant potential to develop a viable economic cluster, and the film industry isn't one of those areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was cool. Last week I was in London, and throughout the city's Underground, Death Sentence is being advertised like crazy. To get an idea of how much advertising is being done, if you look in the reflection, you can see another advertisement for the movie.

1223271005_4bd1c4e318.jpg

I've seen the trailor. It's neat to see the Barber Shop I go to converted into a gas station in the movie and you can see the Strom Thurmond building when the car falls off the parking garage. The movie opened this weekend by the way, i think it'll be number 1 or 2 at the BO

Archived