The Film Industry in South Carolina

goodbye

Shooting is underway in Columbia. Last night several blocks of N. Main were closed. Appeared they were filming in the parking lot of a small used car dealership just off Elmwood.

Their base camp is at the corner of Elmwood and Sumter, almost next door to the annual Greek Festival that begins today. Man, that part of town is jumping this week.

COOL! :shades: that's exciting

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shooting is underway in Columbia. Last night several blocks of N. Main were closed. Appeared they were filming in the parking lot of a small used car dealership just off Elmwood.

Their base camp is at the corner of Elmwood and Sumter, almost next door to the annual Greek Festival that begins today. Man, that part of town is jumping this week.

They also had Main St. block off from The Cadillac dealership to the old CoCa Cola distrubution center. I passed by there about 6:15am this morning and they were still going. They had both entrance of Main blocked off coming from Main and N.Main. :yahoo:

OMG. I went to get my hair cut today, but couldn't. They are using my barbershop as a location on Main St. My barbershop is called Hairstation near the cadillac dealership. It used to be a old gastation. I go there this morning and it looks like a junk yard and he said they are shooting the movie Death Sentence at that location! I was like I was hear two weeks ago and it looked normal and it looked like something out of a movie. I guess they paid my barber a GOOD amount to shoot there. lol. I guess I got to find a new temporary barbershop. Yeah they had a man out there guarding the site and he was like Kevin Bacon was there last night and he heard Denzel Washington was going to be in the movie too so he may be in town. He said they going to be shooting all over Columbia. I guess thats why they were at Blythwood High School and he said they'll be at other places too! Wow, this is cool. I'm going to see the movie just to see the locations lol

Well, they've got parts of Winthrop blocked off in the shooting of Asylum (in front of Tillman, parts of the grassy parking lots near Dinkins). Administration didn't bother to tell anyone until the last minute, so a lot of commuters had to make last minute adjustments as far as parking goes.

Thank goodness they are opening up Main Street during rush hour traffic. I got all the way through at 8:00 this morning, but tonight at 9 it was closed again.

Kinda fun to go by the camp this morning. Meal tent was set up with tables and chafing dishes but no one was stirring. Have to admit I thought it'd be fun to wander in...

I was driving to school today and saw them shooting around 6....I just drove by and they are still shooting Death Sentence!!! They had the street blocked off and stuff...They are shooting alot downtown!!! I shoulda watched like I saw dozens of people doing. Anyways here are some pics from my camera phone.

0926061723.jpg

0926061722a.jpg

0926061722.jpg

I wish you could've gotten a shot of Kevin Bacon. I know Columbia's economy can only benefit from something like this :thumbsup: . I wonder how long are they going to be shooting this movie?

Ok. Just got back from the Barbership (they converted it back into a gas station for the film Death Sentence). My barber had pictures with all the actors and stuff and showed me them filming there. He told me that they said they would be filming on the parking garage on Assembly St. He said that they plan to drive a car off of the parking garage into the street from the top!!

Here's a new one shooting in Aiken, Cola, and Myrtle Beach from an article in the Augusta Chronicle about 2 weeks ago:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/lates...ikenmovie.shtml

It sounds pretty horrendous, and is being billed as an "urban" Caddyshack... It also appears that they're trying to pass Aiken off as The Hamptons... lol

"Who's Your Caddy"

Cast unannounced at this point.

Shooting begins in mid-October:

4-5 weeks in Aiken

3 days in Myrtle Beach

1 day in Columbia

A crew of 50-60 people will be staying in Aiken during this time.

From the Ascendant Pictures website:

"A mega-rich rap star wants to join a country club in the Hamptons, but is initially refused membership until he buys the land adjacent to the 18th hole. Granted membership, he brings life to the stodgy golfers at the club, but they continue to try to get him kicked out...but to no avail. WHO'S YOUR CADDY? is an urban take on the comedy golf movie."

Here's a new one shooting in Aiken, Cola, and Myrtle Beach from an article in the Augusta Chronicle about 2 weeks ago:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/lates...ikenmovie.shtml

It sounds pretty horrendous, and is being billed as an "urban" Caddyshack... It also appears that they're trying to pass Aiken off as The Hamptons... lol

"Who's Your Caddy"

Cast unannounced at this point.

Shooting begins in mid-October:

4-5 weeks in Aiken

3 days in Myrtle Beach

1 day in Columbia

A crew of 50-60 people will be staying in Aiken during this time.

From the Ascendant Pictures website:

"A mega-rich rap star wants to join a country club in the Hamptons, but is initially refused membership until he buys the land adjacent to the 18th hole. Granted membership, he brings life to the stodgy golfers at the club, but they continue to try to get him kicked out...but to no avail. WHO'S YOUR CADDY? is an urban take on the comedy golf movie."

WoW, that's two movies in 1yr being filmed in columbia :yahoo:

Below is a link about the film industry in Chas in today's City Paper. It explores what can be done for Chas to become a draw for film-making, since it already has a vibrant, highly-skilled film community. The city also is on the verge of becoming a hotbed for cinematic activity, both local and national. The article highlights reasons why Chas hasn't boomed yet in terms of the film industry and shows the many different pioneers looking to make things better.

Underexposed

That's a lot of money, as well as a cool video clip. Good stuff.

Columbia isn't portraying Columbia though is it? That's what I'd really like to see is more of SC's cities playing themselves in movies. Charleston was itself (well atleast its 18th century self) in The Patriot, and Anderson was itself in Radio, but I'd like to see more.

Apparantly SC is a great job of getting the film industry here. The demand is so great that Spartanburg just lost its chance to be in a move (Dunan Park Stadium) because all of the film crews in the area are booked, and would be too expensive to bring in a crew from California. The movie was called "The Third Miracle."

Here is the link.

Apparantly SC is a great job of getting the film industry here. The demand is so great that Spartanburg just lost its chance to be in a move (Dunan Park Stadium) because all of the film crews in the area are booked, and would be too expensive to bring in a crew from California. The movie was called "The Third Miracle."

Here is the link.

Funny thing is that WYFF reported that the season change was the reason Duncan Park was cancelled. Apparently they wanted a Summer setting, so a park in Texas was chosen instead.

Here is the link.

I think that's a pretty good reason for losing out on a film. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived