Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Carolina Panthers Training Camp Fills Downtown Spartanburg Hotels

16 posts in this topic

I saw a story on the local Charlotte news about the effects of the Carolina Panthersteam coming to town to train for the upcoming season. Apparently all of the local hotesl are close to full from family members, fans, friends and media. Sounds as if downtown Spartanburg will be busier for the next while. Have any of you knoticed the activity?

The Panther's training camp was more heavily attended last year since they made it to the Superbowl the previous year. I expect that this year will be similar.

I have no doubt that downtown will be more crowded this week during the camp. This will be good publicity for Spartanburg since everything downtown is finally starting to look good. Hopefully some Charlotteans will come down and see what's happening.

I am not surprised that hotels are filling up. The Marriott gets filled up all the time since it is the only decent hotel that is not on the interstate... this is why I think that another hotel is probably in the works (thats just my guess though). And if not, one should be.

Too bad the Starbucks won't ready in time. They would make a killin' right there at the entrance to the camp.

When will it be done? Does anyone know? I'm guessing it wont take much longer.

They had a story on Fox 21 tonight. It said basicly the same thing. The Camp starts this weekend and lasts for one month. Expect downtown to be crowded :)

Bo Aughtry needs to construct a nice Hampton Inn for downtown Spartanburg. The market is definitely there.

Apparantly there was record attendance this weekend with nearly 5,000 fans showing up on Saturday. 2300 on Sunday. An overall increase of 82%

Article

Well, it's that time again this year. I was looking at Fox News Charlotte, which mentioned that over 3,000 people turned out to see the Panthers practice today at Wofford.

Seems we're watching the same newscast! I was glad to hear that people came from as far away as California to visit Sparkle City.

^Bakersfield to be exact....to see her grandson. :)

I just had a thought: why doesn't the city or some of the cultural organizations sponsor some events during the time that the Panthers are in town? Or is this already the case?

There is the Panther's Party in Barnet Park, and I maybe a few other miscellaneous events. I agree that a much larger event would work well during this time. Thousands of people come to Spartanburg to see the Panthers, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a much larger party for when they aren't on the field practicing.

The HJ reports that we've had about 17,000 visitors so far- or about 1,000 per day for the Panthers Camp. The Marriott is almost full.

Link

The HJ reports that we've had about 17,000 visitors so far- or about 1,000 per day for the Panthers Camp. The Marriott is almost full.

Link

The Charlotte Observer reports the following:

"The Panthers' 15-year contract to hold training camp at Wofford has expired, but team president Mark Richardson recently told the Observer he expected the deal to be extended."

Hopefully they extend it for 30 years!

The Observer