The Velocity

NewTowner

Hey, everybody! Great News!!

Just a couple of days ago I spoke with a courteous sales rep at the Icon Sales Office over by Laurel House Apartments, and he informed me that Bristol Development Group's upcoming Gulch development, sexily and coolly called Velocity! (For Men) will be...

...a mid-rise building!

It will be sited just east of the Icon, and (for really, really, really obvious reasons) Bristol decided not to block the heavily-marketed Icon views with a new high-rise. Fantastic news! It looks like the Gulch, despite its Nine Inch Nails ambience, won't become a network of rodent canyons after all. Just think: together with a moderate and rather nifty Icon, the VELOCITY! RAahahhrrrr!!! will help (!!) create a streetscape completely useful to human eyes. Now for a little embellishment and proportion!

Radical!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a way I can see the original plan of the Gulch? I've only seen a small map posted somewhere else, but you really can't see what's going on.

And also, NT, you briefly mentioned (for men). What does that mean? Is it a men only project?

I mean the name Velocity sounds like a Joop! cologne.

cheerio, I think all most of us have seen we're those original renderings which, in the absence of anthing more detailed, prepresented to concept of the low/mid-rise walkable neighborhood. It's really that concept that we're talking about here. The towers announced are on the edges and hopefully will stay that way. I few punctuation marks in the vicinity, aka towers, don't bother me, but a wide expanse of an urban neighborhood will go a long way in making the Gulch what it's being advertised to be.

Does anyone know if this project (Velocity) will front 11th Ave? I was envisioning it in the vast expanse of nothingness in between ICON and the ICON sales center--I think that is technically north of ICON. NT, you mentioned that it will be to the east of ICON--I think to the east of ICON is where the Citgo is currently at.

Just wondering for clarification and imagination purposes

. . . some of the previous renderings of how the Gulch might look:

gulchsignwide.jpg

And All the Rage featured this rendering on their cover last fall:

Gulch rendering

According to the latest Gulch plan I have seen that they are moving forward with-- the Gulch will feature low and mid rise buidlings with taller, landmark type buildings at important spots within the Gulch that have unique vistas--ICON for example.

Originally they said the Gulch would have a ten year buildout. I would say that if Velocity is a midrise with lots of retail, that it could mark the beginning of the next phase in the Gulch buildout--infill with more retail.

Thanks for the pictures. Can't say I like the first picture. It looks pretty boring and monotonous, but that second picture looks great. That's exactly what I hope the Gulch turns out to be.

Yeah, that second picture really drew me in--I saw that and my mind was made up that I wanted to live in the Gulch.

It does make it look inviting. I don't think at this stage, I wouldn't want to live in the middle of the action, but I would like to think that I could access SoBro and the Gulch shopping areas via the SoBro-CrossTown-West line of the light rail from my quiet perch on Rolling Mill. Sure would hate to carry all those packages on foot.

Now that we know the Velocity project is midrise and is being developed by Bristol Development, I'm hoping it looks a little bit like the Bristol on Broadway project with loads of street level retail and several restaurants. That would be awesome IMO.

I kind of like the idea of The Gulch. It's always been the Gulch to me since the days we took my dad to the train station for his trips and before that when my mom would greet returning and departing soldiers. To us, it IS the Gulch and always will be.

Now, if was call The Crack or something, I'd be all on your side.

I kind of like the idea of The Gulch. It's always been the Gulch to me since the days we took my dad to the train station for his trips and before that when my mom would greet returning and departing soldiers. To us, it IS the Gulch and always will be.

Now, if was call The Crack or something, I'd be all on your side.

Oooooo, Oooooooo I want to make a wise crack (ha wise crack) so bad I can't stand it. Imagine a tongue-bitting emoticon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this little blurb at http://www.nestinginnashville.com/NashvilleLofts:

VELOCITY in the Gulch

Bristol Development Group has recently announced plans to unveil a new 330 unit mid-rise condominium complex in the heart of the Gulch to be named Velocity. Situated just to the East of the ICON's building site, Velocity will be located on several vacant acres on Eleventh Avenue South. The mid-rise will not block any ICON views and the developers say the design will interact heavily with the fast-paced lifestyle already present in the Gulch.

These units will be geared toward a younger buyer. Rumors have prices starting in the $150,000s with a maximum sales price of $300,000. Designs will be compact but functional featuring new earth friendly technologies and state-of-the-art modern amenities.

Contract dates have yet to be determined, but developers hope for a occupancy date a soon as six months following the ICON's completion in late 2008.

VELOCITY in the Gulch

Bristol Development Group has recently announced plans to unveil a new 330 unit mid-rise condominium complex in the heart of the Gulch to be named Velocity. Situated just to the East of the ICON's building site, Velocity will be located on several vacant acres on Eleventh Avenue South. The mid-rise will not block any ICON views and the developers say the design will interact heavily with the fast-paced lifestyle already present in the Gulch.

These units will be geared toward a younger buyer. Rumors have prices starting in the $150,000s with a maximum sales price of $300,000. Designs will be compact but functional featuring new earth friendly technologies and state-of-the-art modern amenities.

Contract dates have yet to be determined, but developers hope for a occupancy date a soon as six months following the ICON's completion in late 2008.

Sounds like just what the Gulch needs residential wise. Now, I think it's time to hear about a large retail project there. By the time the Velocity is built in mid 2009, there should be about 1,000 apartments and condos in the area (754 between the Icon and the Velocity alone). That should be the critical mass they need to get a large retail project off the ground, IMO.

VELOCITY in the Gulch

When did the completion date of ICON get pushed back a year ? At their groundbreaking they said it would be finished by the end of 2007.

Archived