The Velocity

NewTowner

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what the sales person said this is still in the five to six story range. Velocity will go right next to the sales center and the Pine Street Flats will go between Velocity and Icon. I was disappointed there was no more information on Velocity. This project is exciting to me because of the size and the area covered. I said this on the Rolling Mill Hill thread, there is still not enough affordable housing DT. That is where the greatest demand is and for now I guess all the developers will have to flood the market with the high end stuff until that market is tapped out.

How can you look at every other 5-6 story project Bristol has ever done and come away with high expectations for the next one ? About a year ago Newtowner quite cleverly suggested that the Bristol on Broadway would age like "a dollup of sour cream under the Tuscan sun"; I think he nailed it dead on. Treat yourself to a foot tour around that building today and I think you'll begin to see his point; it already looks 10 years old to me. The soon-to-be completed Bristol West End looks to be a tad better than the BonBroadway but it's still cheapo with all kinds of faux this and faux that everywhere.

I'm sorry, but if adequately trained architects can create front-porched Katrina Trailer homes that are lovely, useful, and perfectly durable, than Bristol on Broadway should be able to turn a profit without turning out garbage like Bristol on Broadway.

Those units were sold to well-meaning suckers who simply didn't know the first thing about architecture, plain and simple. I feel for them, and count them among my brothers and sisters, but they got hosed and there's no way around it.

I hope Velocity employs common sense and decent materials. If not, the thing will just be another inferior product that floats because the market is underserved and the buyers wouldn't know a good building from a bowl full of yogurt.

The jury is out on the Icon. I, too, am optimistic, because the basic scheme gets a lot of things right. It will all come down to whether or not Bristol thinks they can get away with spraying another metal frame in styrofoam and unloading it on poor Suburbanites who just arrived in the Big City, fresh off the boat from disposable motorist oblivion.

Durable materials are important.

Exactly. Whether you like their designs or not, they're selling. They are bringing housing to downtown in a reasonably affordable price range and people are moving in that might not otherwise end up living downtown. There's plenty of good in all of that. I'm damn glad Bristol is here, and for that reason I would find it difficult to complain about their projects.

The jury is out on the Icon. I, too, am optimistic, because the basic scheme gets a lot of things right. It will all come down to whether or not Bristol thinks they can get away with spraying another metal frame in styrofoam and unloading it on poor Suburbanites who just arrived in the Big City, fresh off the boat from disposable motorist oblivion.

...but ironically if the prominent boards and the media in this town did a better job of demostrating more community savy as to what is crap and what is decent (architecturally) you'd see better buying decisions which, in turn, would lead to better product being delivered by developers. Newtowner is right that some developers will only do what they think they have to to sell the product.

[bristol on Broadway] units were sold to well-meaning suckers who simply didn't know the first thing about architecture, plain and simple. I feel for them, and count them among my brothers and sisters, but they got hosed and there's no way around it.

^Unfortunately, there is no easy fix for a poorly designed building that has been constructed of cheap materials. And this is why it literally breaks my heart to see developers churn this crap out to unsuspecting buyers. It stains some of the best parts of our city and will continue until our market gets wise to it and says: no more!

Even if it was cost effective (it is not) to peel back all the mud covered styrofoam and start over with brick or a more durable stone or precast material the structural design of the building wouldn't allow for it. Not only did the developer save money on the cheap applied materials but doing so also reduces the overall weight on the building allowing for additional savings to be achieved using less steel and concrete to support the structure. So you can't add back all the heavy durable materials later.

Since we are discussing what to look for in a building or condo home I should also point out that developers incur a significant premium to erect a concrete frame building (Viridian, Encore, Icon, Adelicia, Terrazo) rather than what's usually referred to as "stick frame". Stick frame buildings (BonB, Enclave, Bristol West End, Velocity) are steel frame buildings and don't have the longevity you gain in a concrete frame structure. They also don't generally perform as well acoustically unless the developer goes way overboard on acoustic isolation measures, which they almost never do (the ones building stick-frame, anyway).

After Newtowner's comments the other day I drove by the Bristol West End to see how the exterior finishes were coming together. I took some photos which I will share if I ever figure out how to post them to UP. Despite my higher expectations for that project (relative to BonB) I was disappointed to see the same cheap styrofoam clad walls, columns and parapets everywhere I looked. The top edge of the building also has the same "movie set" parapets that Bristol seems to be so fond of. They're somewhat convincing if you're looking straight at that feature but since you almost never are the gimmick is always right there for the world to see.

Other important considerations are window, door and hardware quality on both the interior and exterior of the building. Like a polyester suit, if it looks cheap it usually is.

I know there is a popular sentiment on this board to see developers provide lots of new construction options at affordable price points below $200,000 but I would advise those of you considering these purchases to be very careful about what you buy. Like the fake Rolex you paid $1000 for instead of $4,000 the short term enjoyment associated with your purchase is sure to fade when the reality of a poor investment decision starts to become apparent. As I said at the beginning, there is no easy fix for these poorly constructed and designed buildings so when Bristol and Village pack up their tent and you're left to face reality it can be extremely unpleasant (and costly). Rather than take the apparent shortcut to urban living why not accept a little less convenience and consider single family options in Germantown, East Nash or the 8th & 12th Avenue area ? I think you would do much better financially in the long run.

I'm afraid that may not be of any assistance to you with your BonB purchase, Mr. Campion. For you, I would strongly urge you to sell your unit now at whatever decent or not so decent price the market will bear. I don't see your sale prospects getting any better with time and when all the new condo options hit the market later this year and next (and BonB continues to sag) I'm afraid it will be even more difficult to drum up interest.

As much as I despise the look of BonB, I'm not so sure he should sell now. It depends on his circumstances. For example, if he is employed by or a student at Vandy (or nearby establishments), then he may not find any better a place to trash for his time there. Furthermore, I do think BonB represents a rental opportunity for students or those who want just a brief lease before they move on. In the latter case depending of course on what he paid for the condo, his purchase may turn out to be a good investment. I do think as far as hip and urban lifestyle are concerned that BonB has already been surpassed by other properties, and by the time several of the others are completed, it will be looked upon as a second rate place to live (A big miss). I've wondered what the heck one might call that architecture, Mediterranean barfbag?

After Newtowner's comments the other day I drove by the Bristol West End to see how the exterior finishes were coming together. I took some photos which I will share if I ever figure out how to post them to UP. Despite my higher expectations for that project (relative to BonB) I was disappointed to see the same cheap styrofoam clad walls, columns and parapets everywhere I looked. The top edge of the building also has the same "movie set" parapets that Bristol seems to be so fond of.

those renderings are more than disappointing. Bristol just doesn't get it. I was excited about a nice midrise building with the potential of having some real quality aspects to it.

Instead this has an ugly opening out to the corner (that does remind me of the sobro Hampton as well) and then all along the side it has their usual little balconies and each part is surrounded by a different mix of low-quality materials.

Oh and thank you for creating a public space Bristol...but honestly I don't know how many people want to enjoy an afternoon in that courtyard while being surrounded by that building.

Archived