The Velocity

NewTowner

When did the completion date of ICON get pushed back a year ? At their groundbreaking they said it would be finished by the end of 2007.

You're right. I wonder if that was a type'o. :unsure: Since Icon is chugging along now, I doubt it will take 2 1/2 years to complete, so I'm thinking it's still on target for a late 2007 completion, possibly early 2008. That would hopefully mean the Velocity project will come on stream in 2008, not 2009.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. I wonder if that was a type'o. :unsure: Since Icon is chugging along now, I doubt it will take 2 1/2 years to complete, so I'm thinking it's still on target for a late 2007 completion, possibly early 2008. That would hopefully mean the Velocity project will come on stream in 2008, not 2009.

I bet they meant to say the Velocity will be complete about 6 months after ICON... which will be end of 2008. As in... about 6 months after ICON's completion in early 2008?

Friends,

I stopped by the ICON sales center on Sunday, Aug. 20. Based on what the sales rep said, my feeling is that ICON is slated to be finished by mid-2008 at the latest, with Velocity to be ready no later than the end of 2008.

WW

Thanks for the update, William. Did you find out any additional news on the Velocity? I loved to know when they plan to release renderings for the project. It's going to be huge. A 336 unit midrise is going to a large footprint. Will it be in multiple buildings or just one really big one?

There is a pretty big site between the ICON sales office and the actual site of ICON along 11th ave S. I'm assuming this is where Velocity will go?

I was wondering that too. At first my impression was that Velocity would be sited above the stone wall, to the east of ICON, but now I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...

So wait. The rentals/retail is being built at the same time, but is a different project. Will they be connected to the Velocity? If not, how far away?

I think this corner is going to be a very exciting place to live, but shouldn't we be spreading things around a little. It seems like we are getting alot of residential super-pockets with nothing in between. I'm sure these clusters of buildings will have many amentities, but nothing at all down the block.

NewTowner, I'm begining to long for your low-rise dreamland.

So wait. The rentals/retail is being built at the same time, but is a different project. Will they be connected to the Velocity? If not, how far away?

I think this corner is going to be a very exciting place to live, but shouldn't we be spreading things around a little. It seems like we are getting alot of residential super-pockets with nothing in between. I'm sure these clusters of buildings will have many amentities, but nothing at all down the block.

NewTowner, I'm begining to long for your low-rise dreamland.

From what I was told, it doesn't appear as thought they will be connected

I am glad to see someone is starting to focus on the apartment market again. I see this market growing in the DT sector due to all of the conversions to condos from what few apartments were DT. I look for a few more developments to be coming down the pipeline, as far as rental units go.

No, I dont know anything, but this is gut instinct due to rising interest rates and a demand for that market segment. I am just doing some sooth saying again and I had told William I expected someone to announce an apartment community soon.

There is also another apartment community going in Metro Center called the Preserve @ Metro Center. This is in addition to the Parc @ Metro Center.

I wouldn't necessarily call these affordable units. When you look at the starting price of $160,000 and assuming the smallest unit will be at this price ,525 square feet, you're looking at a $325ish psf price. This is about the benchmark for the other condos selling in the area. Don't let the small size fool you to think they are affordable.

Hopefully these won't be build out of stick contruction like Bristol on West End. Also, hopefully they will put a parking garage in the rear of the development to buffer the units away from the train track.

I wouldn't necessarily call these affordable units. When you look at the starting price of $160,000 and assuming the smallest unit will be at this price ,525 square feet, you're looking at a $325ish psf price. This is about the benchmark for the other condos selling in the area. Don't let the small size fool you to think they are affordable.

Hopefully these won't be build out of stick contruction like Bristol on West End. Also, hopefully they will put a parking garage in the rear of the development to buffer the units away from the train track.

You're totally right. This is not affordable housing. It's a rip-off. Affordable housing in my opinion would mean the buyer meets certain financial criteria, and gets a 800-1000sf unit for $100,000 or less. When I bought my 'affordable' unit over three years ago, that's about the deal I got. Actually I got a better deal. Those days are apparently over.

I agree with you as well. These are not very affordable to a single bread winner income. It would probably be OK for a couple that both have jobs. It will be interesting to see what affordable is for the Sounds stadium condos and Rolling Mill Hill. We need more units in the 100 to 150 range.

Affordable closets. :rolleyes:

I would prefer a small condo with less space to clean. What matters to me is view. If it has a good view and a large balcony then I'm not so concerned about internal space. I don't spend any time at home anyway - I just go there to sleep.

Of course, I won't be living downtown any time soon - the pollution is too much. I've had my fill of stinky air in downtown nashville.

• 3 weeks later...

According to a map on the flyer they were handing out at the Demonbreun St. Bridge ceremony tonight... the Velocity will be located directly between the current ICON sales office and Pine St., along 11th Ave. The footprint of the development looks to be maybe half the size of that of the ICON, assuming its accurate.

According to a map on the flyer they were handing out at the Demonbreun St. Bridge ceremony tonight... the Velocity will be located directly between the current ICON sales office and Pine St., along 11th Ave. The footprint of the development looks to be maybe half the size of that of the ICON, assuming its accurate.

Archived