Lighting up Downtown

OneSweetWorld

I drove through Louisville at night this past week and was awed by the colorful lights on much of the buildings. It actually made me quite jealous that Grand Rapids couldn't be this way. Here are some pics:

Louisville_at_Night.jpg

abf.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d56/phil...0095eb559_m.jpg

None of these pictures really do it justice, but it was awesome. Does anyone think there is a way that G-Rap could get lit up like this? Does the city put up these lights, or the owners of the buildings. I especially think the new art museum would look sweet if lit up like this.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove through Louisville at night this past week and was awed by the colorful lights on much of the buildings. It actually made me quite jealous that Grand Rapids couldn't be this way. Here are some pics:

Louisville_at_Night.jpg

abf.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d56/phil...0095eb559_m.jpg

None of these pictures really do it justice, but it was awesome. Does anyone think there is a way that G-Rap could get lit up like this? Does the city put up these lights, or the owners of the buildings. I especially think the new art museum would look sweet if lit up like this.

I was in Columbus Ohio this weekend and thought that in the 2 years since I have been there they have made huge strides in being a useable functional city with great visitor accesability. They have done a great job at lighting the streets as well as the river district, brewery district, and especially the arena district. I dont have pics but will try to get some soooon to post.

Maybe it's the photography, but those pictures of Louisville look a bit obnoxious. Greens, yellows, oranges?

It's not the color of the lighting as much as the color of the objects that are lit. After doing some google and Emporis photo searches, I found that the green in the top picture is from the bridge which actually is blue or green. The two buildings (Waterfront Plaza I and II) have red, reflective metal roofs. It then appears that in the first picture, the flood lights are only the normal yellow and white variety. However, I do think the building in the second pictue has a red and a green light mounted on it.

edit: Or you could just read the reply by civitas; it's simple and probably more correct.

-Oh, and on a side note, If anyone checks out Waterfront Plaza, notice that the two spires are designed to look like lighthouses. That's a little tacky on a modern building, if you ask me.

Now, as for GR, I think we could definitely use some well placed architectural lighting. Looking at sparky05's night shots it hard to tell that the city is even there. That goes particularly for the black spot that is Amway Grand Plaza during the day (though I would like to see how someone would suggest lighting a glass building). We may not need as much as Louisville, but a little more would be nice.

I think we need a few more towers before we need to worry about lighting them up. :)

-nb

I was thinking the same thing. It would be difficult to light Amway Grand, or the new glass tower going up, as it would Plaza Towers. The city first needs some skyscrapers that actually make since to illuminate.

Does McKay have exterior lighting? That's the only one of any significant height outside the other three that would make since lighting.

Looking at sparky05's night shots it hard to tell that the city is even there. That goes particularly for the black spot that is Amway Grand Plaza during the day (though I would like to see how someone would suggest lighting a glass building).

The roofline, perhaps?

Also, McKay Tower: LIGHT IT UP! Beautiful architectural details, non-residential, no excuses.

Very good idea, McKay is a very beautiful structure and is right in the heart of DT. The stone facade on it also works incredibly well with light, as I notised when I snapped a photo of light from a sunrise reflecting off the building. Although likely not well viewable from the river or in most skyline shots, it will make a beautiful sight from the condos and hotels right there in the area.

Light it up! We could be like Hong Kong? and shoot fireworks off every highrise each and every night... :lol:

I think to make lighting attractive in this city we need some signature foreground buildings. The only building I can think of that would be accented nicely with proper lighting would be the McKay Bldg. The lighitng has to be done right though.

Plaza Towers could work with some lighting.. not the whole building but if those whiter areas with the slightly curved roof at the top of each section were lit somewhat, that could look really cool.

I think one could put lights on PT all the way up the building in the vertical areas where there are no windows... probably not uplighting, but maybe a panel or even neon :whistling:

The question, i think, is convincing the owners to put up the $$$ (and people living in the area that it's not going to be ultra-bright)

Archived