The Future of Spartanburg's Downtown Memorial Airport

roads-scholar

• 2 months later...

The Herald-Journal posted some pictures on their website today of the terminal renovation progress.

H-J photo gallery

Thank you for sending these photos. I was at the airport last week and was amazed at the beehive like activity there. Construction is also underway on a much needed and long overdue hangar complex.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It may be tough to tell from my photo, but that's beige brick meant to blend with the original building's brick. And the weather that day was gloomy. Anyway, it looks good in person. And I haven't even seen the tarmac-side yet. I hope there's some kind of open-house when the project is completed to see everything.

Also, there was an article today about the airport receiving $3.2 million in federal funding for a new concrete apron/tarmac surface. Construction on that is supposed to start in about 3 weeks.

Herald-Journal article

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The $4.4 million renovation of the terminal building has been completed! There's a nice article today describing all the improvements. There's also a great photo gallery. I think the interior looks awesome.

Herald-Journal article

H-J photo gallery

On November 17 at 11:00 am, there will be a "grand opening" which the public can attend.

The $4.4 million renovation of the terminal building has been completed! There's a nice article today describing all the improvements. There's also a great photo gallery. I think the interior looks awesome.

Herald-Journal article

H-J photo gallery

On November 17 at 11:00 am, there will be a "grand opening" which the public can attend.

2682331770102245857S600x600Q85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the airport's grand re-opening ceremony on Thursday (H-J article). The renovated terminal is larger on the inside than I thought. It's definitely a state-of-the-art facility and a great gateway to our city. Here are some pictures I took:

post-24605-0-80265200-1321738405_thumb.jpost-24605-0-12635700-1321738415_thumb.jpost-24605-0-89494200-1321738424_thumb.jpost-24605-0-23944600-1321738436_thumb.jpost-24605-0-80344500-1321738475_thumb.j

post-24605-0-09640200-1321738464_thumb.jpost-24605-0-44508900-1321738453_thumb.jpost-24605-0-68799100-1321738489_thumb.jpost-24605-0-01295300-1321738503_thumb.j

I, too, attended the grand "re-opening" and glad you feel the facility is state-of-the-art. As a regular user of the airport someone may feel my opinions on the airport are always favorable.

I took the kids to the airport today and thought the terminal was really nice. They got to see several planes take off and land and want to go back soon. It also looked like the work on the tarmack has started. I did see that they were clearing trees on the end of 4 where the pay lake used to be. Is that the end of the runway that will be extended? I thought the extra 600' would go toward 295. The other end must need at least 100' of fill at the end of 600'!!!

I took the kids to the airport today and thought the terminal was really nice. They got to see several planes take off and land and want to go back soon. It also looked like the work on the tarmack has started. I did see that they were clearing trees on the end of 4 where the pay lake used to be. Is that the end of the runway that will be extended? I thought the extra 600' would go toward 295. The other end must need at least 100' of fill at the end of 600'!!!

The runway will be extended on it's north end, where the lake is, or was.

For sure lots of fill will be required but when GSP's runway was extended several years ago the fill requirements were much more extensive than this.

Hope your children had a nice time at the airport!

The kids had a great time. There were other children there visiting as well and all just wanted fly somewhere!! The fever hits me each time I go out there too and makes me want to get back into flying someday!!! Would the minimums not be greater on approach from the North with the Denny's tower and an extension in that direction?

The kids had a great time. There were other children there visiting as well and all just wanted fly somewhere!! The fever hits me each time I go out there too and makes me want to get back into flying someday!!! Would the minimums not be greater on approach from the North with the Denny's tower and an extension in that direction?

The ILS instrument approach is only available to runway 5, the opposite end of the runway. Visual approaches to the opposite end of the runway (23) are not impacted by the Denny's tower or other obstacles.

• 2 weeks later...

The runway will be extended on it's north end, where the lake is, or was.

For sure lots of fill will be required but when GSP's runway was extended several years ago the fill requirements were much more extensive than this.

Any idea what's going to happen with Airport Road? With the runway being extended in that direction, the road would either have to snake even more dramatically than currently to go around the extension or go through a tunnel under the runway.

Any idea what's going to happen with Airport Road? With the runway being extended in that direction, the road would either have to snake even more dramatically than currently to go around the extension or go through a tunnel under the runway.

I have not heard anything regarding Airport Road.

• 2 months later...

More big changes in store for the downtown airport:

1. GDJ will be building another hangar for large corporate aircraft.
  2. Taxiways and apron areas will be reconstructed. Current asphalt will be replaced with concrete.
  3. Runway safety areas. 1500' of land acquisition off runway 23 will create a runway safety zone of 1000' and a 500' runway extension. A shorter safety area will be constructed off runway 5 (up to Southport Road). These projects should be completed in 2014.