Best Alabama cities to merge

AlabamaGuy2007

Which two cities in Alabama would merge to become a better single city?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which two cities in Alabama would merge to become a better single city?

• Huntsville and Decatur
    • Birmingham and Hoover
    • Birmingham and Bessemer
    • Montgomery and Prattville
    • Mobile and Prichard
    • Anniston and Oxford
    • Auburn and Opelika
    • Tuscaloosa and Northport
    • Florence and Muscle Shoals
    • Gadsden and Attalla
    • Other: Explain
    • None

Though it would be weird to drive into Mobile or Montgomery and see welcome to Mobile-Mobile, or Montgomery-Montgomery.

On the Golden Gate Bridge the basic city limits sign says "San Francisco {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} City and County {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 798,000" or whatever the population is, for comparison. Any tourism campaign would (hopefully) just play off the name of the city.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Golden Gate Bridge the basic city limits sign says "San Francisco {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} City and County {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 798,000" or whatever the population is, for comparison. Any tourism campaign would (hopefully) just play off the name of the city.

Yea, it varies state by state. Considering that the counties and cities have the same name, they'd probably follow the one you stated about San Francisco. In Georgia, for example it's: Athens-Clarke Corporate. Of course it might be different elsewhere.

I just got back from the Vanderbilt Marching Invitational, and when we driving into Davidson, we just past a sign that said Davidson County. Isn't it Nashville-Davidson?

• 3 weeks later...
Thank YOU!!!!!!!!! You're one of the few people that actually understands that Decatur has always been it's own independent city.

I don't know about HDCSA turning into Nashville-Murfreesboro. I'd view it more like Dallas-Fort Worth. If you look at DFW, you see A LOT of similarities between it and HDCSA. There's an interstate dividing them, they both were founded seperatly, one is larger than the other, they share an airport (though, Decatur, for some reason, sold it's right to the name, but the airlines still call it Huntsville-Decatur Intl.), and the list goes one.

Southwest does look more like a suburb. There's actually a reason for that. Albany Decatur, and New Decatur grew out of eachother. New Decatur developed out of the side of Albany, and thus turned into more of a suburb. But of course the cities eventually melded to form present day Decatur. So, because of all this, Southwest and West Decatur look like suburbs, while Eastern Decatur looks more like a core city.

Yes Decatur is not a true suburb in its own sense, its a seperate city that used to be bigger in Huntsville but I think for census purposes Huntsville/Decatur should be included as one metro. Maybe we could get more money for roads if Huntsville/Decatur was looked at as one area of 500K+. As it is now they are seperate areas of 300K and 150K. Enough people commute back in forth between the cities and they are close enough to share infrastructure needs.

It is already technically one area because development along I-565 does pretty much connect the 2 areas. However, the 2 are covered by 2 different regional planning commissions (which handles the road construction approvals), so that makes distribution of roadways to the 2 as 1 very difficult.

Yea, Decatur and Huntsville are connected by development. The city limits touch eachother at I-65, I think Decatur owns a few feet east of I-65 though. I don't think there'll ever be enough people commuting to Huntsville from Decatur to warrant a single metro area. Morgan County continues to be the major employer for itself and Lawrence County.

Archived