Time for a new amusement park in Nashville?

ATLBrain

Of course, if the Tennessean has an article on this topic, it's not really news. On this forum, we have been discussing this for at least two years. All the rumors have ranged from Disney's music themed park to Dollywood to some Louisville Company's plans for the riverfront DT.

Well, it's taken Gaylord a few years, but they admit now that closing the O'land park was a huge mistake. I know they paid McKinsey a huge amount of money to tell them they would be better off with a mall there. So now add Gaylord to the list of rumors circulating around the idea of a theme park (or in this case a year-round theme park... whatever the hell that is). If any of Gaylord's would-be competitors ever wondered about whether this was a good idea to put a park near Music City... then I think the signs point to this being a no-brainer. Personally, I'd rather see Disney get in the mix, but I have no dog in this hunt. I really thought the old park was nice though.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS05/607240344

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another thread on an amusement park for us. Not complaining, just laughing a little. :P I think there was a rumor a couple of months ago that Gaylord was looking to do something along the lines of some sort of amusement park. I think that was the whole idea behind the tax incentive zone or what ever Metro did for them out there. Probably a "I'll scratch your back, if you scratch mine" deal.

Gaylord wants something in return for the new CC going in DT. I am sure all parties involved are playing stupid but I think we can read between the lines. Hopefully, it will be a partnership between Gaylord and one of the giant amusement companies like Disney, Paramount, Busch Gardens or the parent company that owns Dollywood. Six Flags is in no position financially.

Nashville is one of, if not the largest market in the country without a Theme Park. I have confidence something will happen in the near future.

I have some fond memories of Opryland. If Gaylord does get back into the amusement park business I would be surprised to see, "Opryland II," or anything like that. What do you think? Is that type of country music show based theme park still marketable? I don't think it is. I think they would be more likely to have an Opryland section of whatever new theme park is built that would have a much wider theme.

I must admit that I haven't been to a theme park in years and years so I am ignorant on the topic.

I would rather see something with Disney involved as well; I just hope that the church doesn't get any ideas, for example: "Richard Land Land." :sick:

If there was a theme park on the other side from the hotel/mall, the next logical step would be for a monorail connecting all three together along with some more development.

Someone get Disney on the phone--they know all about monorails and theme parks and marketing and . . .

It'll be interesting to see what Gaylord has up its sleeve. It's also interesting to note, by reading between the lines, that they really didn't expect Two Rivers Baptist to sell their land and had contingencies in place.

Perhaps we'll see a new concept emerge from this. I doubt seriously we'll see much until something has been decided, but it would be nice to have something fresh and cutting edge. One advantage of not having a park for so long is that if we do get one, we'll have the advantage of new technologies from the get-go. It's interesting that this is beginning to emerge during the final stages of Briley Parkway construction. It may be speculation, but this is probably an important consideration.

I really hope Gaylord does decide to do this. IMO, if they were to partner with anyone, which would be a good idea, I think that they should partner with Dollywood. It's not a giant, but is very successful. They have a good mix between themeing and thrill rides. Personally, I'm more a fan of the thrill part, but good themeing attracts customers. I'll have to wait for any official announcements, though, before I get my hopes up.

Honestly, I would be happy with just about any form of an Opryland reincarnation. I was SO upset when they closed to build that horrendous mall, and I'm glad that Gaylord is starting to admit that they made a mistake. Dollyworld......really guys, do you REALLY want that? As long as something uber-tacky doesn't come in it'll be better than what we have, but it seems that maybe Gaylord is thinking for it to be someplace for them to have music shows, perhaps things like 'A Country Christmas' and summerfest, in addition to a theme park.

Dollyworld......really guys, do you REALLY want that? As long as something uber-tacky doesn't come in it'll be better than what we have, but it seems that maybe Gaylord is thinking for it to be someplace for them to have music shows, perhaps things like 'A Country Christmas' and summerfest, in addition to a theme park.

I don't know why people have such a negative attitude towards Dollywood. It's grown to become one of the nicest, most successful theme parks in the country...almost like a miniature Busch Gardens:

Dollywood Gallery

I personally don't want to see Gaylord Entertainment build another park. They had their chance with Opryland and screwed it up. Any other company is fine...just NOT Gaylord. Dolly/The Herschends or Anheuser Busch would be my top picks, but I don't think they are interested in building a new park from the ground up.

After looking at a map of that area, it's amazing how much land there is around there. I always though Opryland could have grown by expanding to the other side of Briley. Like Disney, they could have had "Opryland Kingdom" and on the other side "Epcopryland." Connect them with sky buckets or something cool. Oh well...

I like 'Dollywood' better than Holiday World. Where did Holiday world come from anyway? I've never heard of them until this year. My feeling is that if people are willing to drive that far to an amusement park, they'll either go to Six Flags in Louisville, Atlanta, or Dollywood

Having just spent a week in Orlando and having gone to both Disney and Universal/Islands of Adventure, I can say that I would BEG BEG BEG Disney NOT to build a park in Nashville. Disney was DIRTY, the employees were RUDE and PICKY, and their rides were HORRIBLY outdated. Islands of Adventure (part of Universal Studios) on the other hand was AWESOME!! Parks were SUPER well kept everyone was cheeful, happy, and helpful. GREAT rides, GREAT visuals, overall GREAT and MUCH MUCH Superior experience. Even the kids (10, 6 and 4) said they wanted to go back to Universal, but not to Disney.

I don't think Dollywood would be that interested in building here... having been to Dollywood several times (and looking at the cars in the parking lot) it seems that they get a fair bit of business from Middle TN; building here would only dilute their business. Holiday World is a nice, small park (no huge crowds!, probably because they hadn't had a huge advertising campaign until this year), but probably aren't in a position to consider building a 2nd park here, or anywhere. Six Flags certainly won't be doing it.

If I were to put my money on one company to build a new park here, I'd bet on Cedar Fair (owners of Cedar Park, Knott's Berry Farm, et al.). They seem to be in an expanding mood, having recently purchased the Paramount theme parks.

Somebody mentioned way back about Dollywood, that they might want to expand here, because the facts are that someone will build a park here, and that park will take away from Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, so if anyone is going take that revenue, it might as well be another Dollywood!

And linclink, I agree that Islands of Adventure is a great park, as is the original Univeral Studios. I would much rather see another Univeral Studios here than a Disney World, for a couple of reasons. First off, it would make more sense. They could play off a music studios theme. Also, they can build thrill rides, and themed attractions just as well as Disney. Also, Disney World would bring tons of tourists that would stay at Disney World and not visit Nashville, except for maybe one daytrip, whereas it would be vice versa for Universal Studios, and people would rather make that a daytrip, rather than their whole trip.

But most of all, I think I would want a Busch Gardens. They have great themeing, and even better thrill rides. :w00t:

Man, do I wish Gaylord would build another theme park. Everyone loved Opryland. It had such a good feel about it. I remember always begging my mom for one of those crazy-looking, ginormous suckers they sold at the front near the Flume Zoom. The greasy pizza at that place in Do-Wah-Diddy City. The beignets in the New Orleans area and who can forget the side-by-side double scoop ice cream cones next to the Tennessee Waltz in the State Fair area? Now that I think about it, that good feeling was usually a stomach ache by the end of the day. Ahhhh, the memories. :cry:

I don't think Dollywood would be that interested in building here... having been to Dollywood several times (and looking at the cars in the parking lot) it seems that they get a fair bit of business from Middle TN; building here would only dilute their business. Holiday World is a nice, small park (no huge crowds!, probably because they hadn't had a huge advertising campaign until this year), but probably aren't in a position to consider building a 2nd park here, or anywhere. Six Flags certainly won't be doing it.

If I were to put my money on one company to build a new park here, I'd bet on Cedar Fair (owners of Cedar Park, Knott's Berry Farm, et al.). They seem to be in an expanding mood, having recently purchased the Paramount theme parks.

That is a great company and well run. That would be great if they would do a park here. I failed to mention them earlier too, but they are one of the bigger players.

Another company getting into this business is Hard Rock, the same company that owns the Hard Rock Cafes. The are currently building a 140 acre, $400M amusement Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach. They expect 30,000 visitors/day at this park. They claim this is the world's first Rock & Roll Theme Park.

Another company getting into this business is Hard Rock, the same company that owns the Hard Rock Cafes. The are currently building a 140 acre, $400M amusement Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach. They expect 30,000 visitors/day at this park. They claim this is the world's first Rock & Roll Theme Park.

i just hope they manage it better than their restaurants. who knows, it could work really well in myrtle beach though. tourists would most likely flock to it.

• 5 months later...
I like 'Dollywood' better than Holiday World. Where did Holiday world come from anyway? I've never heard of them until this year. My feeling is that if people are willing to drive that far to an amusement park, they'll either go to Six Flags in Louisville, Atlanta, or Dollywood

Archived