National Parks Going Green?

Mith242

Guess this topic title seems a bit odd since we associate National Parks with green vegetation and such. I posted this info in another topic and forum before this forum existed. Earlier this summer I visited Zion National Park which seems to be trying out the green movement. First of all they've eliminated vehicle traffic from much of the park and make visitors ride the propane run buses. Despite the heat the vistor center also doesn't use air conditioning. The building has several towers. Water is run through some sort of filter in which the wind blows through. After going through the water it cools and sinks down the tower into openings inside the building at the bases of these towers. It doesn't cool the building like it would if it had a/c. But standing at the base of these towers there was a nice cool breeze coming out. Anyway the original info including a few pics of the buses are located in this topic.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27901

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Zion National Park, is progressive on the green front. The Zion Canyon Visitor Center is one of the most efficient of its kind: Specs on the 'green' Zion Canyon Visitor Center. Additionally, like you mention, the Zion Canyon Shuttle System has contributed to fewer cars being in the canyon. Yosemite has one too.

Thanks for the links. I didn't know that about Yosemite either. With the Smokies being visited so much I wonder if they'll try to consider things like this. Aren't the Smokies the most visited Natl Park?

Thanks for the links. I didn't know that about Yosemite either. With the Smokies being visited so much I wonder if they'll try to consider things like this. Aren't the Smokies the most visited Natl Park?

The Smokies is the most visited park in the country as well as the most polluted. It seems the area stays "hazy" (a polite southern term for smog) almost all summer. And if you go to the mountain tops, you'll see trees completely stripped of leaves by the pollution.

The Smokies is the most visited park in the country as well as the most polluted. It seems the area stays "hazy" (a polite southern term for smog) almost all summer. And if you go to the mountain tops, you'll see trees completely stripped of leaves by the pollution.

I was thinking that. You'd think they might be a good candidate for a bus shuttle system. Although I admit I haven't been and don't know if their layout would make that possible.

Archived