Skate Park for Sparkle City

Spartan

The FY '06-'07 CIP calls for the allocation of $1.1M towards a 1 acre skate board park somwhere in Spartanburg. The price tag includes landscaping, lighting, water lines, cut & fill, culverts, etc. Constructino should start this month and end in April 2007 if all goes according to schedule.

However, with only a few days left this month I suspect there may be a delay.

The same document also says that the city is planning a new park on the Westside at an unpecified location. Construciton wont start until 2008, so there is still lots of time for this one.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that sounds like some park! I've heard of skateboard parks in other parts of the country that are being converted to other uses due to waning interest. However, if it's still a popular sport in Spartanburg, then it's great that a facility will be provided. I hear that liability issues have scared off other entities.

I don't know anything about the sport. I do know that many kids and parents have been pushing for one because these kids will go and skate in places that might put them in more danger. This would be a controlled environment. They just opened a private indoor skate park in Greenville, so I assume the sport is still popular in this part of the country.

• 4 months later...

The Upstate's first public skate park just took another step closer to becoming reality... the City Council just approved the lease of the land for three years. The park itself would be partially constructed until it is officially decided whether that location will be the parmanent location for it.

I personally don't see why it wouldnt be, as its a great location and there is really no other use for that land.

Yeah this is going to be the first free one, and outdoors, sorry for the confusion there. Also, Spartanburg has had a skate park for a few years now.... Evolutions Skatepark... its just not very well known. Its located in Boiling Springs. I think its the first skate park in the Upstate. its one of those indoor things like Greenville has. I thought there was one in Inman too, but I could be mistaken.

In searching for that park I found this website, which is all about the skate park on Union Street.

Go to google earth or maps, then type "spartanburg" to get centered on downtown. Look southeast of downtown and you will see Union St. Find the intersection with Henry St. Look two parcels down from that intersection on the east side of the road you will see the vacant lot next to the rail bed, which is now the rail trail (its over grown in that shot). (between Warren St and Ridgewood Ave)

This used to be a rail car loading facility or something, so it has lots of good steps, ledges and ramps for skaters. Its also a major blighted look that doesn't help that area at all. Its a natural fit for that to be a skate park. Its located near Duncan Park, Converse Heights, and S Converse neighborhoods so its going to have lots of appeal once its fixed up.

• 11 months later...

The skate park is still going to happen, and since the Parks Master Plan was completed it was reprioritzed to the top of the list. It sounds like the private donor hasn't quite raised all of their share of the money. I can't believe its been a year since we've heard anything significant about it.

Article

• 8 months later...

The bad news is that the Inman SkatePark is not doing well and may go out of business. Definitely a loss, as I hate to see any business fail.

However, the good news is that the City's skate park will start construction in the next two weeks. I expect that it will do well since its 1) free admission and 2) within and easy walk (or ride on a skateboard) of several of the city's older neighborhoods- Converse Heights, South Converse, and Duncan Park.

Article

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't skate either, but anything that removes a vacant/blighted industrial lot and changes it into an active use like this park, located next to a 2 mile greenway trail is a great thing. Spartanburg accomplished a great thing with this park- which to my knowledge is the first public skate park in the South Carolina. This will benefit the entire city, and encourage some kids to be more active.

I don't skate either, but anything that removes a vacant/blighted industrial lot and changes it into an active use like this park, located next to a 2 mile greenway trail is a great thing. Spartanburg accomplished a great thing with this park- which to my knowledge is the first public skate park in the South Carolina. This will benefit the entire city, and encourage some kids to be more active.

Archived