Murfreesboro: Construction Begins On The Avenue

Relient J

The following link is to an article published Monday on the Nashville Business Journal Web site:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori...html?from_rss=1

Construction has begun on The Avenue, an outdoor mall ("lifestyle center") that will be located on Medical Center Parkway between I-24 and Thompson Lane. Interesting news from the article that was news to me is the announcement that Longhorn Steakhouse and Romano's Macaroni Grill will be included in the project.

Over the course of the last week or so I've noticed that they've been clearing the land over there, and it's been exciting indeed to see that this project is getting off the ground in a visual way. I'm very much looking forward to seeing construction progress over the course of the next several months.

My apologies if this should have been posted in the construction sightings thread. I wasn't sure if that was for Nashville-specific projects, or new construction projects that fall within any city the Nashville forum covers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following link is to an article published Monday on the Nashville Business Journal Web site:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori...html?from_rss=1

Construction has begun on The Avenue, an outdoor mall ("lifestyle center") that will be located on Medical Center Parkway between I-24 and Thompson Lane. Interesting news from the article that was news to me is the announcement that Longhorn Steakhouse and Romano's Macaroni Grill will be included in the project.

Over the course of the last week or so I've noticed that they've been clearing the land over there, and it's been exciting indeed to see that this project is getting off the ground in a visual way. I'm very much looking forward to seeing construction progress over the course of the next several months.

My apologies if this should have been posted in the construction sightings thread. I wasn't sure if that was for Nashville-specific projects, or new construction projects that fall within any city the Nashville forum covers.

Here's another article from the DNJ. It also lists Carter's, Lane Bryant, Limited Too, Off Broadway and Osh Kosh B'Gosh as making their way to 'boro. I wonder if there would be any chance of another department store opening in this development? Macy's? Nevertheless, good news for the 'boro.

What really strikes me about this project, is that it's going to be considerably bigger than any of their other "Avenue" projects around the country. Not only that, but it's going to be about four times bigger than The Oaks Shopping Center already partially completed in The Gateway area.

What really strikes me about this project, is that it's going to be considerably bigger than any of their other "Avenue" projects around the country. Not only that, but it's going to be about four times bigger than The Oaks Shopping Center already partially completed in The Gateway area.

My thoughts exactly. I can only imagine something similar to the Cool Springs area in Williamson or even the Turkey Creek development in Knoxville.

It is interesting that the Murfreesboro Avenues is so much bigger then the other ones located around the country. I think its awesome though. Somebody mentioned Turkey Creek in Knoxville, and I have to say thats amazing. It just keeps growing!

I sure hope Macy's would consider the area. It would make more logic to move the Hickory Hollow store to Murfreesboro then to keep Hickory Hollow open. Less competition from other Nashville stores! Perhaps it will be Murfreesboro that could possibly land a major upscale luxury department store such as Nordstrom.

Nordstrom would be an amazing venue for Murfreesboro, simply because while upscale Nordstroms is not abundantly upscale such as Neimans or Bloomies.

Oh well, hopefully the new mall will be an awesome place to finally provide us a new venue. I just hope that at least Macy's will open a new store at this mall. Belk just wouldnt cut it, if thats the only major department store in the center! (Without refering to specialty stores such as Barnes and Noble, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc...)

Edited by joshzwhite

^ You never know. I don't think we've heard the last of the cool announcements from this project. It was cool to see the earth movers out working when I drove by earlier today. I noticed that they've cleared away what look like the two future entrances to the center. What I'm really looking forward to seeing is some sort of detailed site plan so that we'll have a better idea of what this thing is going to look like.

I am honestly suprised about the developments at Stones River Mall. It wasnt to long ago when I heard that Dillard's and Sears has both threatened to leave if they could not expand. I am suprised that Dillard's opted to build in the Stones River area instead of building a monsterous new store in The Avenues.

I agree that we have not heard the last of this development. I just hope that the next announcement is in regards to Macy's or Nordstroms. Murfreesboro is finally going upscale, but how upscale will it get?

I can see Neimans possibly or Nordstroms but I dont think its Bloomies upscale as of yet. (Of course when you hear Bloomies upscale it usually refers to Neimans as well). Neimans I believe has off mall locations, and Nordstroms I know does. I think that the addition of either of these anchors would be an asset to the area.

Most people would assume that Green Hills or Cool Springs will be the next upscale boom, so I think it would be interesting to see Murfreesboro become the next upscale area in Tennessee. In many ways it wouldnt suprise me. :D

But we are yet to see more to come with this development. Although when I drove by on Saturday, I saw the Avenue signs, but the area around Ross Dress For Less has more activity, what is going in there?

Although when I drove by on Saturday, I saw the Avenue signs, but the area around Ross Dress For Less has more activity, what is going in there?

That's The Oaks shopping center in the Gateway area. It's been under construction since (I think) 2003. The most recent addition completed was a new section featuring Carrabba's. They are in the process of putting in a new small section near one of the entrances off of Medical Center Parkway, though I don't know what's going to go in there. It may not be determined at this point. It must be a later addition to the planning for the shopping center though, because I don't think it's on the latest site plan they have posted to their Web site. I love that shopping center. I go down to Moe's Southwest Grill enough that a few of the people that work there know what I want when I walk in the door. :)

Here's a link to the Web site for The Oaks:

http://www.oaksshoppingcenter.com/

Here also is a group of pictures I took of the Gateway area including The Oaks a few weeks ago:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27060

There isn't enough money in Rutherford County for a Nordstrom. Anyways, they would locate in Nashville of Cool Springs before even entertaining the thought of coming here. That is the logical choice I think.

Oh there's plenty of money for atleast one Nordstrom or Macy's. I do believe that that it may be some time before we see a Neimen Marcus or Bloomingdales, though. Nashville or Cool Springs will open these higher end stores first, then Murfreesboro. This project is exciting to watch come to fruition.

Some thoughts in response to many of these comments....Both the Belk and Dillard's being built in Murfreesboro are fairly large 2 level stores(Dillard's is 147,000 and Belk is 132,000.)

In a matter of days I think we'll see an announcement on Belk buying the Parisian chain, and if Nordstrom or the investors who recently bought Lord and Taylor don't scoop up the Cool Springs site from Belk, that coupled with the Murfreesboro store might change the image of Belk in the Nashville area. Belk does have better stores than what we've seen from them around here. Don't get me wrong, Parisian has a niche and Cool Springs Parisian becoming Belk will hurt it, but the shopping in Belk's hometown of Charlotte far outpaces Nashville, so they're not all bad.

Here is a site plan of The Avenue from Faison.com http://faison.com/files/142/PTY_Avenue_04-06s.pdf. You can also find a space and a description for the Avenue on this architectual firm site, though no pictures are there yet http://www.cmharchitects.com/home.html. You can also see photos of just how nice the other Avenue projects are there. It is sure to be a draw from far beyond Murfreesboro. The Murfreesboro center seems to be half outdoor mall with the department store and smaller mall type shops on one end...and a power center with Off Broadway, Dick's, Petco etc. on the other end. There also seems to be a possible space for another department store near the area across from where it shows Linen and Things and Dick's.

Nordstom isn't a remote possibility for Murfreesboro. Parisian would've been a possibility if they weren't about to be retail history. A move from Hickory Hollow to Murfreesboro for Macy's does makes perfect sense. I think they could either locate at The Avenue or Stones River. Since Sears isn't currently expanding with the rest of the mall I could see them moving to a larger freestanding store closer to Medical Center, which would free up space for a two level Macy's at Stones River. If you can get your hands on the plans for the Stones River expansion you will see just how nice it is.

I was skeptical that both centers would be able to coexist, but with the type of stores coming and the type of development The Avenue is, I think they may well be able to compliment each other. Any thoughts?

Edited by MurfRez

Nordstom isn't a remote possibility for Murfreesboro. Parisian would've been a possibility if they weren't about to be retail history. A move from Hickory Hollow to Murfreesboro for Macy's does makes perfect sense. I think they could either locate at The Avenue or Stones River. Since Sears isn't currently expanding with the rest of the mall I could see them moving to a larger freestanding store closer to Medical Center, which would free up space for a two level Macy's at Stones River. If you can get your hands on the plans for the Stones River expansion you will see just how nice it is.

I was skeptical that both centers would be able to coexist, but with the type of stores coming and the type of development The Avenue is, I think they may well be able to compliment each other. Any thoughts?

I think it would be awesome if Stones River were two stories, and actually Outlets Mall (currently Verizon Wireless) was orignally supposed to be a two story mall, but was scaled back due to conflict of interest from what my uncle told me. It's great that Stones River Mall is finally getting a makeover. I do believe it will compliment The Avenue. You must remember, Murfreesboro anchors Southern Middle Tennessee and will draw citizens from Manchester, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Pulaski, etc. About Linen n Things, I thought there was already a store next to Old Navy, are they moving to the Avenues or just opening another store?

Edited by Justiceham

That is alot of parking spaces between the development and the road. Couldn't something have been done about that??? To be honest, that is hideous putting that much space between the road and the actual buildings in the development.