Murfreesboro: Construction Begins On The Avenue

Relient J

That is alot of parking spaces between the development and the road. Couldn't something have been done about that??? To be honest, that is hideous putting that much space between the road and the actual buildings in the development.

This is a decent site plan because it shows that they are willing to transition to structured parking if the project takes off. As usual, it does not have a residential piece...but this could change depending on issues like natural resources, global warming...and the list goes on. In addition, they need a really good link to the greenway system.

It would be cool if they used the out parcels to create a more pedestrian firendly atmosphere...small 3,000 square foot or less ground floor retail with apartments/condos....3 to 5 floors...above.

Southlake, Texas

http://www.southlaketownsquare.com/homepage.asp

This is an area that has transitioned from surface parking to structured parking. They are now adding residential. I see no reason why this project could not do the same over a ten year cycle.

Edited by dfwtiger

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my wishlist for Murfreesboro:

Banana Republic, Express, J Crew, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, and some kind of nice dept. store. I was originally hopeful we would get a now-defunct Parisian. Maybe a Nordstrom?

Any news on the new tenants for the old mall expansion?

I have only stepped foot in that mall twice in the three years I've lived here. My wife and I do all of our shopping in Green Hills. I would love for that to change...

BTW, I just saw in the Nashville forum that someone posted about a month ago that we would have a Banana, Earthfare, Ralph Lauren, and Calvin Klein at the Avenue. I have not heard this anywhere else. Just rumor? I also heard a rumor that Crate and Barrel was coming in. This has to be too good to be true.

Edited by edb2n

Welcome to UrbanPlanet and specifically to the Murfreesboro subforum, edb2n! By your user name, am I to take it that you're an MTSU student? :) I don't think I've heard any recent news on what new tenants will be part of the Stones River Mall's expansion. Also, I don't recall reading that the tenants you listed would be joining The Avenue Murfreesboro, but we definitely haven't heard the last of the news from it.

Welcome to UrbanPlanet and specifically to the Murfreesboro subforum, edb2n! By your user name, am I to take it that you're an MTSU student? :) I don't think I've heard any recent news on what new tenants will be part of the Stones River Mall's expansion. Also, I don't recall reading that the tenants you listed would be joining The Avenue Murfreesboro, but we definitely haven't heard the last of the news from it.

Cousins also has a development in Memphis. The development in Memphis is complete and is 587,000 square feet. This is compared to the 808,000 square feet proposed in Murfreesboro.

In my experience, the merchants do not vary greatly from location to location. For Cousins, it is easier to court the same merchants for each development. Here is a list of the merchants in Memphis....and probably will give us a good idea of what we might see in Murfreesboro:

Abercrombie & Fitch

Aeropostale

After Hours Formalwear

American Eagle Outfitters

Ann Taylor

AnnTaylor Loft

Banana Republic

Barnes & Noble

Bath & Body Works

Bombay

Bonefish Grill

Brookstone

Buckle

Build A Bear

Cache

Carrabba's

Cheeseburger Cheeseburger

Chico's

Children's Place

Christopher & Bank

Claire's

Clark's Shoes

Coldstone Creamery

Cost Plus World Market

Crepe Maker

Crescent City Beignet

Dillards

Eddie Bauer

Elisabeth

Express

Finish Line

Firebirds

Francesca's Collection Gamestop

Gap

Gap Kid / Baby

Great American Cookie Company

Gymboree

Hollister

Jos. A. Bank

Journeys

Just Dogs Gourmet

Kay Jewelers

Lane Bryant / Cacique

Le Gourmet Chef

Limited Too

Linens N Things

Liz Claiborne Shoes

New Balance

NY & Company

Pac Sun

Parisian

Portrait Innovations

Reed's Jewelry

Regis

Select Comfort

Shoe Dept

Soccer USA

Starbucks

Stix

Swoozies

Talbots

Victoria's Secret

White House /Black Market

Yankee Candle

A few things to keep in mind on this Avenue...

It differs from the earlier projects in that it is about half power center..meaning stores like Dick's, Off Broadway, a pet store etc that weren't in earlier avenues..... That will give this a diversity of tenants different from the others.

Also....My guess is that we'll see a number of the smaller mall type tenants split with the Stones River Mall Expansion.

I also think the square footage of Collierville doesn't count the 200,00 square foot Dillards....they own their own store there. Add that figure in and this Avenue isn't that much larger than Carriage Crossing.

Also..does anyone have any idea what part is Phase 1 and what will be phase 2? Never heard that made clear in news reports.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is now quite evident on The Avenue project. As you drive along Medical Center Parkway you can now see that two buildings are rising toward the back of the development along the I-24 side. At this point they are at the frame and cinderblock stage of construction. You can get a pretty clear view of the construction from I-24 as you pass by. It's good to see these buildings go up!

Progress is now quite evident on The Avenue project. As you drive along Medical Center Parkway you can now see that two buildings are rising toward the back of the development along the I-24 side. At this point they are at the frame and cinderblock stage of construction. You can get a pretty clear view of the construction from I-24 as you pass by. It's good to see these buildings go up!

Yes, it's nice to see. The second story has been erected to Dillard at Stones River Mall as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post. Yesterday the DNJ Web site featured an article about proposed changes in The Gateway sign ordinance for The Avenue. The article can be found here:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS01/61213021

I personally disapprove of the city dictating aesthetic decisions to property owners in Murfreesboro.

Edited by Relient J

Sorry for the double post. Yesterday the DNJ Web site featured an article about proposed changes in The Gateway sign ordinance for The Avenue. The article can be found here:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS01/61213021

I personally disapprove of the city dictating aesthetic decisions to property owners in Murfreesboro.

While I do not disapprove of the city stepping up in aesthetics, I do disapprove of the way in which they go about doing it. When it is all said and done, the older parts of the city will be neglected while the new part will be full of Medical Center Parkways. Murfreesboro has been criticized for this mismatched development in the past, hopefully someone will realize this soon.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an accident yesterday at The Avenue construction site involving a scaffold collapsing. Seven workers were injured, some seriously. Here's the DNJ's account of what happened:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../612300319/1002

I'll keep those workers in my prayers.

Edited by Relient J

There was an accident yesterday at The Avenue construction site involving a scaffold collapsing. Seven workers were injured, some seriously. Here's the DNJ's account of what happened:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../612300319/1002

I'll keep those workers in my prayers.

crap happens, they'll be fine though. its part of doing big construction.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I haven't posted this sooner, but if you go to the Cousins Properties Web site that features The Avenue Murfreesboro, you will now see a very small rendering of what the lifestyle center will eventually look like. You can see it here:

http://www.cousinsproperties.com/retail/index/am.cfm

Thankyou Relient, I've been waiting to see what it would look like once completed.

I spoke to a friend yesterday who is a manager at American Eagle at Stones River Mall. She said they will be moving to the Avenue. Which leads to the question, what will hapen to Stones River Mall? There's not much there anyway. If everything desirable is at the Avenue, will Stones River go the way of 100 Oaks?

I spoke to a friend yesterday who is a manager at American Eagle at Stones River Mall. She said they will be moving to the Avenue. Which leads to the question, what will happen to Stones River Mall? There's not much there anyway. If everything desirable is at the Avenue, will Stones River go the way of 100 Oaks?

No, Stones River Mall is far from going to the way of 100 Oaks. The renovations will take some time. But with the new JC Penny open and Dillard's nearly complete this is only the beginning. There will be 25-30 new tenants once the mall is complete along with 3 new out parcels including new restaurants and retail (these will be constructed on the mall's wasteful front parking lot), and there will be a promenade in the back, and there will be a real food court. 100 Oaks Mall is out dated now, but a campany from Dallas will start its renovation this year, the second story will be used mostly for office space but no word on either mall's new tenants.

I certainly hope not. With all of the renovations they're doing to the Stones River Mall, it's going to look mighty nice when they get done with it. I'd like to think Murfreesboro can support both malls, but we'll see.

I can't wait either even if it is a mall, lol. But there will be four new shopping destinations when this stuff is completed (The Oaks Shopping Center, Stones River Mall, The Avenues, and the 2 million sq ft. development proposed on Manchester Highway).

I want both malls to work as much as the next guy, but without an incredibly balanced selection of stores between the two, it may just not. I think we may end up seeing The Avenue thrive on the best of the small shop selection, while Stones River may become a mall with anchors and no good smaller tenants. Don't you think its funny that Stones River has named no tenants? The 2 million square feet on Manchester Highway? There's simply not enough stores to go around, or at least not enough of the type of retail they describe. They had said regional department stores. There are no regional department stores left to go there. If Macy's comes I'm sure it will be in one of the other developments. I would hate to see Stones River go away, but it may have been better for the city if The Avenue would have been an all inclusive with JC Penney and Dillard's there. When Mr Gatton sold the property to Cousins, he had his pick of mall owners, and he chose Cousins. Had he chosen CBL or someone else I think we would have gotten a more inclusive development. One thing I have noticed. Kay jewelers just built a new store in Stones River, and they are on the list for The Avenue. So maybe it can work. I hope so.

Edited by MurfRez