GC:PVD | Greater City: Providence

Garris

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we'll be there... if you don't mind posting what you're wearing tomorrow, i don't always remember faces so well...

I'll try to be there (along with a colleague), though it can be tough getting out of the office at 5. Hopefully we could provide some help with by-laws, incorporation etc. I'll be the stiff in a suit.

Great meeting tonight everyone! It was wonderful seeing familiar faces and meeting other people for the first time.

Because it's incredibly late, I will be brief typing this evening's/morning's developments from the Tazza meeting Tuesday:

First, after animated and interesting debate, the group now has a name:

Greater City: Providence (color choices mine and random)

If anyone with talents in graphic design wants to start working on logo design, have at it!

Motto:

To be brainstormed here on this forum. I still like "Putting the city back into the City-State." Otherwise, this is wide open. It should directly refect the group's mission.

Abbreviation:

We'll see what people will fall into a habit of using, but GC:PVD, GC:P, and GCP are obvious ones. The coolest (and geekiest) one (for the t-shirts Cotuit said we will have!) is >C:P.

Meetings:

The next meeting will be Tuesday, September 12th, at 5 PM at Tazza. After that, we will be moving to a first Tuesday of every month schedule.

Focus:

The first, unambiguous focus of the group will be on the upcoming planning and zoning process.

Mission:

A bullet point list of approximately 5-10 bedrock principles of the group that will form the foundation of our actions and decisions will need to be drafted. This will be brainstormed here on the board. I will have another post to follow with an example from the CNU of such principles.

Methods:

Methods for focusing on the zoning and planning process will initially be the following:

- Having a group member at every single important city zoning and planning meeting

- If not being able to attend such a meeting, the group will write a letter to that board ahead of time

- Writing letters to the editor and editorials for local publications

We will also need to be crafting a positive, optimistic vision of better city living in Providence. Some tactics suggested for possibly encouraging positive developments in the city could be as follows:

- Top 10 lists (ex: Top 10 retail signs or top 10 facades)

- Awards for urban excellence

- Having a spoof "People for Parking Lots" type of pseudo-group to lampoon all we dislike about Providence development trends

Web Presence:

A blog formatted webpage will be created and will be the homepage of the group (this will not replace UP but will be separate for GC:PVD).

There will be a separate Yahoo message board for group communications setup by Cotuit (if you want access to that, see "Membership List" below).

Membership:

The membership list and list of interested parties will be maintained by Cotuit. If you're interested, for now, PM Cotuit with your e-mail address and real name.

Tasks list prior to next meeting:

- Web Page: Cotuit

- Membership list maintenance: Cotuit

- Investigating suggested group structure, organization, and rules: Garris

- Brainstorm visionary planning and outlets for encouraging community progress: PVDJack

- Setting up a calendar of important city meetings: jencoleslaw

- Think about fund raising options: JimmyGreaves

- Potential future incorporation issues: Yossarian

If anyone can think of things/people/tasks I left out, or other things we should be working on before the next meeting, please let me know.

And that's it for now. Brainstorming and input is, as always, welcomed and encouraged.

Discuss!

- Garris

BTW, here are the elements of the CNU charter as an example. I like their breakdown of principles by the largest to smallest geographic regional unit:

"We assert the following principles to guide public policy, development practice, urban planning, and design:

The region: Metropolis, city, and town

The neighborhood, the district, and the corridor

The block, the street, and the building"

- Garris

I love that motto. How late do you guys usually stay at these meetings, I'm finding if hard to ever get to Providence before 6:30 or 7 during the week.

i was there until 10:30 and there were people still there when i left. garris posted his thing after 1... were people there that late?

i was there until 10:30 and there were people still there when i left. garris posted his thing after 1... were people there that late?

Nope, we were there until about 11. I went home, fell asleep, and then a hospital had (again) mistakenly thought I was on call and paged me at about 1:30 AM. While straightening out the situation, I wrote the post...

I wouldn't let being "late" stop you from coming. Usually, people drizzle in over the first hour or so anyway.

Recchia, if you want, I can PM you my phone # and you can give us a ring if you're running late to see where we are in the course of a meeting.

- Garris

Meetings:

The next meeting will be Wednesday, September 13th, at 5 PM at Tazza. After that, we will be moving to a first Tuesday of every month schedule.

Didn't we agree on Tuesday the 12th? The first Tuesday being the day after Labor Day we moved it to second Tuesday, right?

Didn't we agree on Tuesday the 12th? The first Tuesday being the day after Labor Day we moved it to second Tuesday, right?

That's one of the negatives of Tazza, as I didn't hear the conclusion of the discussion of the meeting issue that well over the din/music.

I've changed my above message to reflect the correct date. Thanks for pointing it out!

- Garris

That's one of the negatives of Tazza, as I didn't hear the conclusion of the discussion of the meeting issue that well over the din/music.

I've changed my above message to reflect the correct date. Thanks for pointing it out!

- Garris

the music was loud there once they started, but it was a great spot before the music started.

i don't remember trinity being loud when i've gone there for dinner, at least not the upstairs. downstairs is usually louder though.

and trinity has great beer on tap... i'm not usually a fan of bars that don't have draft beer.

If anyone with talents in graphic design wants to start working on logo design, have at it!

I threw these together:

web-gcpvd-logo-skyline.jpg

web-gcpvd-logo-sqphoto.jpg

I like the first one better, it doesn't have to be purple, in fact it could be done in a number of different colors. The idea of the photo in the second on is that the image can be rotated to relate to the topic at hand.

Archived