GC:PVD | Greater City: Providence

Garris

i actually like them both... and i think both could be used for different things. like the photo one for the webpage (as we move to other cities, they can put a defining pic there) and the silouette one as a logo for shirts.

The silouette could be used with an image thusly:

gcpvd-webbanner.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, you got me... that's definitely the best one. :)

although i do love the pic of the "big 3"

That's near perfection. Fantastic Cotuit! A great synthesis of the skyline logo and the ability to change images for issues.

I have to say (sorry Jen) that green, in any incarnation, screams environmental group first to me, and I don't think we want people to have to think beyond it.

I think the Purple shade you picked is just perfect. Purple is a royal color, a color that has been used by military groups, political movements, religious orders, etc across all economic, social, and political strata. It's a color of sophistication.

Seems perfect for a city advocacy movement to me!

- Garris

That's near perfection.

Oh heavens, perfection? :blush:

I actually drew that a while ago, its a trace of a photo (actually the photo from the first photo logo), it was my avatar here for a few weeks. I didn't really think much of the purple, that's just how I drew it originally.

I think the green could be used when we're doing something specific to environmental/green causes, a poster or t-shirt or handout of somesort.

I'm really seeing the GC:PVD as the main part of the logo and could see the skyline being switched out at times for different things. Put a leaf and tree there for an environmental campaign, put a bike and a trolley for a transit campaign...

If people like this logo, I actually want to redraw the skyline a bit, there's a few things I don't like about, notably the small white space between 15West and One Financial, I have to close that up. The font is 'Myriad' someone could suggest one they prefer, I prefer San Serif personally.

The silouette could be used with an image thusly:

gcpvd-webbanner.jpg

i feel it is a little busy.

and this one:

gcpvd-multicolor-t.png

is entirely too gay. :lol: not that there's anything wrong with that.

and i like the green very much and i don't think it screams environmental. Purple is just so "artist formerly known as prince, then known as a goofy symbol and then known as prince again."

In order to give this logo less of a Providence-centric orientation (we are advocating for Greater Providence after all), should we take a step back and think about urban images that relate to multiple cities that connote density and livibility but not tall skyscrapers; eg triple decker neighborhoods, urban business districts like Rolfe Square, Olneyville Square, Thayer Street, etc, the Shepard's building, urban mills?

In order to give this logo less of a Providence-centric orientation (we are advocating for Greater Providence after all), should we take a step back and think about urban images that relate to multiple cities that connote density and livibility but not tall skyscrapers; eg triple decker neighborhoods, urban business districts like Rolfe Square, Olneyville Square, Thayer Street, etc, the Shepard's building, urban mills?

maybe extend the image slightly to leave the "big 3" as they are probably the most recognizable symbols of providence, and add a neighborhood look to one of the sides showing that it's both city and neighborhood that we represent.

and this one:

gcpvd-multicolor-t.png

is entirely too gay. :lol: not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's very gay. For exactly that reason, I thought it was a great idea. Perhaps not to be used as our primary logo, but since we're talking about (possibly) having multiple logos to suit our different purposes, this design might be worth keeping around.

It's something to think about as we ponder the idea of how to swell our ranks, maybe. The GLBT community in our area could prove to be a strong ally in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

So......where is everybody on this these days?

There's a mailing list for the people who have attended meetings or expressed interest. This is to keep sensitive discussions out of a public forum, and also because this group is seperate from UP. If you want to join the list, send me a PM with your email.

As a reminder, our next monthly meeting is September 12th at 5:00pm at Tazza.

And I will be organizing another more socially oriented UP meeting shortly, I promise. It's been a little hectic lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived