Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenkins

Highway trash

4 posts in this topic

Anyone other than me notice the unusual amount of trash that builds up on the highways in RI? Specifically on route 95 south as you get into the S curves (around exit 27), there has been the same pieces of wood on the side of the road for weeks. Does the state use inmates to clean up state roads like in some other states?

Does the state use inmates to clean up state roads like in some other states?

The state does, sometimes. They don't use inmates nearly enough as other states do. I think the state tends to rely on the "Adopt a Spot" campaign, where some local business adopts a mile or so of freeway, and is expected to supply resources to pick up litter from time to time. RI should be using its inmates more for this than expecting private enterprise to pick up the tab.

The state does, sometimes. They don't use inmates nearly enough as other states do. I think the state tends to rely on the "Adopt a Spot" campaign, where some local business adopts a mile or so of freeway, and is expected to supply resources to pick up litter from time to time. RI should be using its inmates more for this than expecting private enterprise to pick up the tab.

That is unfortunate, I realize that on the one hand it is a minor thing, but on the other hand it really says a lot about the people and the state.

Meanwhile, I made a couple phone calls to complain about the issue. Not sure if this is exactly kosher Cotuit, but if anyone feels like it, maybe a little UP clout could be turned into action. I figure if enough people call 401-222-2378 (Highway and Bridge Maintenance Administrator) to complain they might finally get annoyed enough to clean up the area . And I am thinking with these things the more specific the better - in this case that there are numerous pieces of wood, hub caps, pillows (yes, pillows), and trash littering 95 south near the S curves (as opposed to just annoying whoever is on the line with a general "yo, how come your highways are such a mess?" which might just put someone on the defensive). Anyway, just an idea :unsure: .

I know ya'll are just on the edge of your seat wanting to know what happened. Anywho, they did indeed come and remove the two pieces of wood, although left every last hubcap, box, fender, etc., on the road.