What are YOU doing to help Grand Rapids?

One thing is for sure, most of us in here like Grand Rapids and believes that it can get better. Additionally many also live in the City or close by. But realistically, what are you doing to make Grand Rapids a phenomenal place to be? It is said that the biggest enemy of Great is good. With living in a good area all too often we are just relaxed about it, saying it

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing is for sure, most of us in here like Grand Rapids, and believe that it can get better. Additionally many also live in the City or close by. But realistically, what are you doing to make Grand Rapids a phenomenal place to be? It is said that the biggest enemy of Great is good. With living in a good area, all too often we are just relaxed about it, saying it

Here's what I'm doing:

--ad hoc zoning violation reporting (mostly related to my #$%^&* new landlord who can't figure out why a tenant would need a fridge, or how to deliver said appliance to the kitchen of said tenant)

--City volunteer work such as selling sponsorships to the Bike GR map. Momentarily I'll be doing publicity on that publication. (Next week, I've heard.)

--Brainstorming on a big huge special event on Dec 31 (we're meeting tomorrow evening; still time to join us at a DT location during BotM to help out and make this happen)

--will be helping out at the City elections next month, and probably November.

--I pick up trash, clean out storm grates, and do landscaping/porch decorating.

I think that everything that you

I look at my pay check and refuse to gripe about how much income taxes are taken out of me. If its not wasted more power to them. Thats my way of helping :lol: I think the most dramatic impact I will have in the City is staying here and making my life work in Grand Rapids. I plan on raising a family here and not leaving like the countless amount of 20 somethings I know from school.

One thing is for sure, most of us in here like Grand Rapids and believes that it can get better. Additionally many also live in the City or close by. But realistically, what are you doing to make Grand Rapids a phenomenal place to be? It is said that the biggest enemy of Great is good. With living in a good area all too often we are just relaxed about it, saying it

Michaelskis,

Tell us, what are YOU going to do to help GR?

Best,

Triple G

Well since I just moved in on Friday from an hour away, I have:

Contacted the City to inquire about getting on the planning commission

Become a member of the Heritage Hill Historic District Association and plan on attending regular meetings

Spoke with the one of the property managers about getting on the board of my Condo Association once it forms

Personally tracked down each of the residents in my building to meet my neighbors in hopes of getting a running start at an interactive community atmosphere

Contacted several people whom I know who have been thinking about relocating in an effort that they would consider moving to downtown Grand Rapids

Contacted the city about two property maintained code violations

In the next few months I will be:

Becoming active member of he Heritage Hill Neighborhood Association

Looking into other municipalities and contacting them about neighborhood landscaping projects, and possibly contacting one or more local greenhouses or nurseries to see if they would be willing to donate materials to install at the homes of elderly individuals whom may not be physically able to enhance their property

Contacting the city and encouraging amendments to the property maintenance code to require banners or other enhancing features placed in vacant storefronts, stricter penalties for inoperable vehicles including but not limited to civil infraction tickets, acquisition and removal of the vehicle, and increased fines, and a systematic neighborhood by neighborhood empowerment program to encourage residents to take pride in their homes and neighborhoods by establishing obvious neighborhood watches where a visual presents will not only reduce crime, but eliminate it.

Become an active member of a Catholic Church and volunteer with their youth programs to encourage them to work with neighborhood associations to help elderly people with exterior property maintenance including painting, landscaping, and lawn maintenance.

In the next year or so:

Help to create events that will restore interactive communication between different neighborhoods, and possibly see about working with the City to form a Neighborhoods Council where the elected heads of each of the different neighborhoods would meet with the elected city leaders and possibly council to help alleviate a lot of the problems and promoted cross neighborhood cooperation to reduce crime, poverty, while promoting safe sustainable neighborhoods.

Contact the city to see about helping individual neighborhood business districts create cohesive communication to enhance and repair old store frontages, clean up adjacent vacant property, and create desirable pedestrian destination points for local residents.

g-gulp! :tough:

After reading yours and Veloise's list, I'll scrape together my, errr, accomplishments:

* We (Husband and I) keep Grand Rapid's streets every so slightly less congested by voluntarily remaining a one-car household.

* I add to the cultural life of the city by acting in Heritage Theatre Group, unpaid (as are the rest of the actors).

* I am a supporter and vocal proponent of Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women, and Local First.

* I know everyone on my street, and interact with my neighbors frequently. (Disclaimer: there are only four houses on my street.)

* We recycle, vote "Yes" on all millages and bond issues, contribute to local community radio, and shop locally.

An exhuastive list! Get me a gin & tonic, somebody!

Keep up the good work Michael and Welcome to Grand Rapids!

In brief this is what I am currently doing to help Grand Rapids:

I live in, love, and promote central city neighborhoods

Active in my neighborhood

Volunteer by serving on the Board of Directors on a neighborhood business association

Volunteer for two neighborhood associations

Volunteer at the Farmer

Keep up the good work Michael and Welcome to Grand Rapids!

In brief this is what I am currently doing to help Grand Rapids:

I live in, love, and promote central city neighborhoods

Active in my neighborhood

Volunteer by serving on the Board of Directors on a neighborhood business association

Volunteer for two neighborhood associations

Volunteer at the Farmer

Well I am moving from the suburbs of GR to GR itself this weekend. However, the only thing I have going for me currently is my interest in our local history which I am trying to get published in a few history magazines. I am trying to get more at the social aspect, as opposed to what Gordon Olson did with his work when he ran the archives.

And I try to conserve water when I sprinkle. :)

I am planning on finishing my Civil Eng Degree and possibly get a masters of business and then move back in the city of grand rapids by moving near or downtown when I graduate. (the opposite of what seems to be a trend of some people I know of getting an education and moving to another city, mainly chicago)

After that I hope to use my education to benifit grand rapids.

After graduation I plan to get more involved with griffin youth foundation among other activities.

Archived