Goose Creek Development

titanhog

Lexy, my intent is actually not to put words in your mouth, but to press to really find out what your alternative to the current situation would be. Though we disagree pretty sharply on these issues, I very much appreciate your answering my questions. You believe I'm reading too much into the issue, but I tend to believe that when you give politicians and inch of power, they take a mile.

I do look at this as a separation of powers issue and don't want leaders from other cities and counties influence where neighborhoods and shopping centers are placed in Rutherford County. Frankly, I think that should be more market driven.

Franklin leaders wouldn't have a say in development here. But an agreement could be made and a happy medium would be met.

Market driven is another way of saying, "Yeah we have a county mayor, but the developers run the place." "He just sits in his office." That is totally the case in Rutherford County. Believe me, most of the leaders in this city are developers like for example the Waldron family. They do what is in the best intrest of them, not the city and it's citizens. I don't always think that politicians are as bad as one makes them out to be. They can only do so much as the law will allow them to do. An inch to us, may actually be a inch to them in a more non-traditional way. LOL!!! Let's face it. Growth is good. But what is happening in Rutherford County is disgusting to say the least. This place is controlled 100% by developers and they can pretty much do as they please when they please with little, if any, intervention by the zoning board and city/county governments.

The GNRC needs to be dumped and overhauled. They are nothing more than a regional Convention and Visitors Bureau.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ What do you see as the proper interaction between the county mayor and developers?

A county-wide Zoning Board. The city has one and if developers have an itch to build in the rural areas, then they need to be subject to VERY strict guidelines. That can only be accomplished through a board of planners. They should not be allowed to do as they please. Also, encourage development in "dead zones" close to the city and close to basic services.

A county-wide Zoning Board. The city has one and if developers have an itch to build in the rural areas, then they need to be subject to VERY strict guidelines. That can only be accomplished through a board of planners. They should not be allowed to do as they please. Also, encourage development in "dead zones" close to the city and close to basic services.

I think you have raised an important point about the "division of powers" argument. In terms of planning, it is just causing all types of problems. Each city developes a Urban Growth Boundry that anticipates where they will expand to in the next 20 years. This systems was created in the Growth Policy Act approved by the legislature in 1998. However, when development standards between counties and cities differ, there is a dichotomous relationship that occurs. For instance, in Williamson County, the county government's development standards are much less stringent (for instance they do not require sidewalks or buried powerlines in new subdivisions and allow construction on hilltops at a higher grade) than the city of Franklin's. Because of this, the city of Franklin is annexing alot of land out to their urban growth boundary to make sure that "substandard" developments are not occuring in areas that will one day be within the city limits. In fact, the city of Franklin recently petitioned to allow their Planning commission to have jurisdiction over these areas in their UGBs so that they would have consistent standards in these new developments. The county, of course, roundly denied them. Even at the micro-level, the relationship for planning is failing.

Franklin currently has a water shortage and is restricting lawn watering, etc. IMO, that's poor planning considering the number of lakes/rivers around us. Also, the lack of a new power sub-station (NIMBY) threatens to halt all growth if the matter is not resolved soon....

Murf./Ruth Co. is well known for its shortcomings in planning infrastructure (namely water/sewer and schools) and for building a big library to house a suitcase-full of books.

In my plan, the UGB would be abolished. You would rely on PDR's to control green space and parks etc. And you would also use DGS's or Designated Green Space's to control growth close to the core and the cities' second and third fringe neighborhoods so on and so forth. The county zoning board would work in conjunction with the counties alpha city. But the board would be made up of people from all over the county. So the decisions would be relevant to most towns and cities in a county.

The county zoning board would work in conjunction with the counties alpha city. But the board would be made up of people from all over the county. So the decisions would be relevant to most towns and cities in a county.

I personally don't want Rutherford County controlling zoning decisions for every city in the county, especially where aesthetics are concerned. Plus, I don't like to even think of any city being an alpha city and having more influence in these matters, because it's not the place of Murfreesboro to influence the growth of Smyrna, or tell them how their city should look.

I personally don't want Rutherford County controlling zoning decisions for every city in the county, especially where aesthetics are concerned. Plus, I don't like to even think of any city being an alpha city and having more influence in these matters because it's not the place of Murfreesboro to influence the growth of Smyrna, or tell them how their city should look.

Murfreesboro is the economic engine of Rutherford County, the place where decisions are made, and the main "hub" for this small region. Therefore it is an alpha city. Again, you are reading way to much into this. Everything isn't "equal" when it comes to civic relationships among cities to begin with. If you ask the mayor of Smyrna if his city is more important to Rutherford County than Murfreesboro, without a doubt he would say no. There is an understanding here that Murfreesboro is the focal point of Rutherford County whether you would like to admit it or not. But if the development of Smyrna will affect Murfreesboro in the future, you bet they have a say in that. They being Murfreesboro. Just like I have a say in the matter of my neighbor wanting to build a second house on their lot next to me.

Rutherford County's zoning board wouldn't control any decisions about zoining unless it is outside of the city limits of a town or city. Period. They could have an opinion about a certain development, but that would be all they would have essentially. The city has its own development bards to steer developments.

Lexy, I would appreciate it if you refrain from accusing me of reading to much into the situation. Please feel free to point out to me at any time if anything that I say in regards to your comments takes them out of context or misrepresents them. We clearly have a different view of civil government.

I personally don't think you have a say over whether your neighbor builds a second home in his yard. It's his property. Murfreesboro may one day feel threatened by Smyrna's growth, but the answer should be to let the market work, not try to exert power over Smyrna's growth.

Lexy, I would appreciate it if you refrain from accusing me of reading to much into the situation. Please feel free to point out to me at any time if anything that I say in regards to your comments takes them out of context or misrepresents them. We clearly have a different view of civil government.

I personally don't think you have a say over whether your neighbor builds a second home in his yard. It's his property. Murfreesboro may one day feel threatened by Smyrna's growth, but the answer should be to let the market work, not try to exert power over Smyrna's growth.

I'm not being rude. This isn't about "feeling threatned" becasue all three cities in this county have pathetic track records when it come s to handling growth. But to the untrained eye, it would seem like everything is fine. I would think that any little piece of advice would be beneficial at this point.

Lexy, while I share most of your opinions on this matter, I just have to know...what is your beef with Murfreesboro? I'm not angry, I really (just for humor's sake) want to know.

In defense of the town, it IS in it's infancy. You stated that transit is not an issue, but from what I hear from my fellow poster's is that a bus system is to be implemented this fall. The city is also in the process of working out many kinks in the road system (Broad St./Old Ft. overpass).

While zoning and design might be an issue, how is the 'boro any different than Cool Springs or even Hendersonville? All of these places need guidance (what city doesn't), but what set's Murfreesboro apart?

While I share many of your views about the politics of the city (Waldron's and Haynes), it just makes me laugh.

Seriously, in a friendly and joking matter, what did they do to piss you off so bad?!

But you are not "exerting' power over their gorwth. You are helping them to grow RESPONSIBLY so that all can benefit from the growth now and in the future. Smyrna can do what it wants, but at some point the two cities will meet and if the development plans don't "connect"...you will have a serious problem. Larger isn't always better, look at Murfreesboro. They are at least ten years behind on traffic control within the city. Why? Poor planning.

As it stands now. When Murfreesboro's growth touches Smyrna's growth, it will be a windy bundle of cul-de-sacs that have no flow with minimal traffic control and horrible traffic tie-ups. I don't think anyone would want this considering it will drive property values down as well as lower to quality of life in the area.

nashvillwill, I live here and that is why I pick on the 'boro so much. LOL!!! It affects me and my family. And I know they can do better, they just choose not to it seems. With the lack of a good grid in this town, a bus system will only minimally help in regard to traffic.

But you are not "exerting' power over their gorwth. You are helping them to grow RESPONSIBLY so that all can benefit from the growth now and in the future.

And I would argue that it's not Murfreesboro's place to help Smyrna grow responsibly.

And I would argue that it's not Murfreesboro's place to help Smyrna grow responsibly.

But it is their place just as it is Smyrna's place to help LaVergne with growth. We are all in this together. We have got to work together to help achieve a postive community for everyone. Every citizen of every city is, and will be, affected by the decisions of each city in the county at some point. Therefore it is important to all be on the same page when growth is concerned. You're not telling them how to grow, but offereing up advise and ideas that benefits them and you IN THE LONG RUN.

^ What you just described sounds like a great idea for the citizens of Rutherford County to be involved in, but you and I disagree on the proper scope of the powers of civil government. I don't believe we're all in this together in quite the same way you do (from a civil government perspective), just as I don't think everyone in Middle Tennessee is all in this together in that way.

^ That's fine. I didn't set out to change anyones mind. But offer up a second opinion on my community. The comunity being Rutherford County, Williamson County, Nashville, etc. I happen to think that what one city in this region does affects any number of citizens of another city in this region at some point. Therefore, we are in fact in this together. We want to be the best place to live on the planet with the best of everything and all, but we have got to see things equally in order to achieve the ultimate goals we set out to acheive. I don't want to look and act and feel like Atlanta. But if something isn't done NOW, it will happen.

I believe this is becoming terribly off-topic, but some good points were made. Whether anyone is willing to admit it or not, cities do influence each other, especially here in Middle Tennessee. I think that while it may not be right for one city to "control" what a smaller one does, it is substantially important that each works together in terms of providing sufficient roads, schools, hospitals (congrats to Spring Hill for getting theirs tonight =)), sewer, electric, the list goes on--- so that when growth happens its not uncontrolled and people aren't shocked that they are annexed into the city.

^Exactly. Now back on topic.

I was in this area where this developement is to be, but was unsure about the specifics. Could someone help me understand the exact location a bit better???

Hey Lex...if you're talking about Goose Creek, go back to page 1 and there are a few sites frankliner and I posted that shows where the development will take place along I-65. It's on either side of the interstate at the Peytonsville Rd/Goose Creek Bypass exit (exit 62?). It's the next exit after Hwy 96 if you're headed south on 65.

Now this is what UP is all about!!!

I have my own opinions. On one hand, I don't want my neighbors yards to be dumps, on the other hand, I don't want someone telling me my grass is too high. There is a happy medium.

I don't want to live downtown. I want to get out of the city, not too far to miss out on events that are drawn to the big city, but far enough out. That's why it's GREAT THAT WE HAVE SUBURBS! I can actually live on an acre of land, I'm not surrounded by concrete but by trees, and I don't have to pay for all the liberal programs supported by the big city.

I don't consider Nashville's sprawl to be out of control. I think our interstates are designed poorly, and a little re-developement there would solve this whole argument (example- the interstates don't have to be 20 lanes wide, but the number of lanes certainly should reduce as you head into the city, and all exit lanes should be exit only lanes. That's just my opinion, and I think this area is great

As an aside- By wanting to live out of the city doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay for the services I use in Nashville. For example, I would be willing to pay an 'out of county ticket tax' when I visit the GEC or LP Field. However, I don't think Davidson county residents want to keep the rich people from Williamson, Wilson, Sumner, and Rutherford and their sales tax dollars out of Nashville, which would occur to some level with a tax.

Hey Lex...if you're talking about Goose Creek, go back to page 1 and there are a few sites frankliner and I posted that shows where the development will take place along I-65. It's on either side of the interstate at the Peytonsville Rd/Goose Creek Bypass exit (exit 62?). It's the next exit after Hwy 96 if you're headed south on 65.

Lexy, what was considered the "central" part of the development when it was presented is on the right side of the interstate if you are traveling south from Nashville. It's a huge tract of farmland at the moment that is bounded by the interstate (on the east) and the Lewisburg Pike (on the west). Peytonsville Road bounds it on the south end and I can't remember the name of the road on the north end (sorry!) but once you see houses, that's where it stops on the North. Hope this helps if you venture down there!

Archived