Goose Creek Development

titanhog

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh ya it is, its about oh 5 miles from Spring HIll(correct me if im wrong, its been a while...)

It may seem "out there", but it is in Franklin as they annexed the property last year. It's the last Franklin exit on 65 and it's one of the areas where growth will be going. This development will only be about a mile from the 840-65 interchange so it's an incredible area for growth. Before long, noone will say it's "out there". Franklin, T. Station, S-hill and Columbia will soon become one big metro area.

It may seem "out there", but it is in Franklin as they annexed the property last year. It's the last Franklin exit on 65 and it's one of the areas where growth will be going. This development will only be about a mile from the 840-65 interchange so it's an incredible area for growth. Before long, noone will say it's "out there". Franklin, T. Station, S-hill and Columbia will soon become one big metro area.

There are many people that do not want this to happen, but it is certainly how it is progressing (especially when Spring Hill wants to revise their UGBs to take in even more rural lands!!).

Just to clarify, although most of the land in the Goose Creek area is in Franklin's UGB, I believe they have only annexed the Berry Farms project, the Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Center, and another plot on that side of the Interstate. The rest is still unannexed but in the UGB.

There are many people that do not want this to happen, but it is certainly how it is progressing (especially when Spring Hill wants to revise their UGBs to take in even more rural lands!!).

Just to clarify, although most of the land in the Goose Creek area is in Franklin's UGB, I believe they have only annexed the Berry Farms project, the Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Center, and another plot on that side of the Interstate. The rest is still unannexed but in the UGB.

I believe if you check, you'll see that Franklin has annexed all of the land that is under the current development plans. That includes Berry Farms, Ladd, Reems-Fleming, and the land on the west side of 65 just south of Goose Creek bypass. I'm pretty sure it has all been annexed. I own land on Peytonsville Rd, and I believe the annexation stops at the 2nd curve on Peytonsville Rd. heading towards Peytonsville.

I believe if you check, you'll see that Franklin has annexed all of the land that is under the current development plans. That includes Berry Farms, Ladd, Reems-Fleming, and the land on the west side of 65 just south of Goose Creek bypass. I'm pretty sure it has all been annexed. I own land on Peytonsville Rd, and I believe the annexation stops at the 2nd curve on Peytonsville Rd. heading towards Peytonsville.

But that's not all of the land in the UGB in GooseCreek if i remember correctly. I was just trying to clarify that there is more land out there that the city can annex in the future. As a landowner I'm sure you keep pretty close tabs though so I will certainly defer to your knowledge.

I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned -

The Poteete property that sits between GooseCreek Bypass and Columbia Pike is for sale at $85,000/acre. It's a little over 300acres, so that's $25M. If you are thinking "That's sounds a little high!", you would be right.

It gets worse. It's within the Franklin growth boundry, so Franklin would not allow you to place an alternative sewer system on the property because Franklin wants to connect this property to Franklin sewer. In what year? Who knows.

Walmart is still working on a deal for 10aces for $8M at the 840 exit onto Columbia Pike. If you wish you were buying property down this way the last 10(or even 5) years, you are not alone.

I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned -

The Poteete property that sits between GooseCreek Bypass and Columbia Pike is for sale at $85,000/acre. It's a little over 300acres, so that's $25M. If you are thinking "That's sounds a little high!", you would be right.

It gets worse. It's within the Franklin growth boundry, so Franklin would not allow you to place an alternative sewer system on the property because Franklin wants to connect this property to Franklin sewer. In what year? Who knows.

Walmart is still working on a deal for 10aces for $8M at the 840 exit onto Columbia Pike. If you wish you were buying property down this way the last 10(or even 5) years, you are not alone.

Wow! That Walmart land works out to $800,000 per acre! These high land prices in Franklin will assure that nothing but upscale, high dollar developments get built there. Sometimes, I wonder how they keep finding people to buy them. And yes, you're right. I wish I had bought property in that area about 10 years ago. Does anyone know what real estate in the Goose Creek area would have cost 10 years ago? I'm guessing about $5,000 to maybe $10,000 per acre.

Wow! That Walmart land works out to $800,000 per acre! These high land prices in Franklin will assure that nothing but upscale, high dollar developments get built there. Sometimes, I wonder how they keep finding people to buy them. And yes, you're right. I wish I had bought property in that area about 10 years ago. Does anyone know what real estate in the Goose Creek area would have cost 10 years ago? I'm guessing about $5,000 to maybe $10,000 per acre.

Yeah, and that property owner has 40 more acres of it to sell - now around a Walmart. I'm sure that will drive the price even higher. That deal isn't closed yet as far as I know.

The announcement of 840 caused some price increases, but I think your $5-10K range is about right. There were some higher exceptions even back then.

What was formerly the Hood and Ferrari properties on Columbia Pike that is now next to the 840 exit sold more recently in the $34K/acre range. They will put around 1100 homes there now and have around 75acres of commercial property up on the road. Keep in mind that Cool Springs started on less than 75acres, so we are talking about a huge development down there. Thompsen's Station will be better to work with than Franklin too.

I bought 7 acres (to build a house on) on Peytonsville Rd 3 years ago at an auction. It cost me $15k an acre, which was a steal. There's an equestrian home development that's split into 2 to 6 acre lots at $100k an acre right below my land and I'm about 2 miles from all the development at Goose Creek. It's not in the Franklin city limits but probably will be someday.

You're right Frankliner...they haven't annexed all the land around Goose Creek, but I'm pretty sure they've annexed all the land where the development is immenent.

• 3 months later...

Well it's about to be underway, but before any development can start they're waiting for TVA to build their substation, and for the city to extend all the water and sewer to the area. The road is already there they're just waiting for all the infrastructure to be in place before they start pushing dirt. Part of me thinks this will be nice, but the part of me that loves Nashville hates this because it's so huge and will pull from Nashville. I have heard, though, that these developments hold our best chances of getting an Ikea or Crate and Barrell; so maybe it isn't all bad. It will be massive though.

This development scares the he!! out of me and for good reason. If idiot developers and leaders allow this type of crap to go on, where will it end??? I realize it expands the tax base and contributes to society, but you have to weigh the advantages both in the present and the future of such developments. This will hurt in the long run more than it will help. But oh well, who am I.

Pft! The free market provides you with a mechanism to control development in Rutherford County without any government involvement. If you want parcel XYZ to remain "virgin" and un-developed, you need only purchase that land yourself and hold it un-developed. You don't need any one's permission to do this or any new laws/regulations/comissions. Your power to guide development is directly related to the size of your wallet.

Now, if your wallet happens to be so regretfully small that you are unable to purchase all the land you want to control, then you have to ask yourself why that is. People get rich by supplying goods and services to the public (which benefit the public) in exchange for money. If you haven't come up with an outstanding way to help people achieve their goals (by purchasing your goods or services), then you will not have the money available to control large swaths of land in Rutherford. For that reason, you do not deserve to have your vision of Rutherford county development realized, because you are not an outstanding contributor to society. You're just an average person with an opinion, but no money to back it up. And for that reason you don't deserve to have your dreams realized. The evil developers you malign buy their land fair and square. But all you've got is an opinion: that opinion and 65 cents will buy you a Krystal.

Your posts reek of arrogance and disregard for other people's private property and hard work. "If I were mayor I would do this, that, and the third". Whatever! It's easy to say other people should do what you want with their land, their money. What do you do with YOUR land and money that is so great? Your basic opinion can be summed up thusly: "Decisions about land use should be made by anyone except the land owners because the land owners are just trying to make a profit on their investment". Think about how ridiculous that is...

Probably because no one ever explained the concept of private property to you. Ownership implies the ability to consume the property that is in your posession. Cakes are eaten, Cars are driven, and for our purposes: Land is developed. If I grant you ownership of 5,000 acres of tennessee land, with the provision that you may never set foot on it, never use it in any way, nor sell any rights to use it, nor transfer title, then what the hell have I given you? Jack squat! Your name on a title, and that's it. Would you say that you truely "own" the land in that case? Your name is on the title, so technically you "own" it, but you enjoy none of the benefits of ownership. How much would you be willing to pay me for those 5,000 acres with that special clause attached?

Now, by the same token, If you own a piece of land and a government imposes a new rule upon your land saying you may never use it, sell it, or develop it, then has something of value been taken from you? The answer is yes - your rights to consume (use) your property have been taken. Now, extending the argument further: What if the government rules are not so drastic, instead the government just prohibits you from building any structures on the land. You could still farm it. But even this new law takes your ownership away, and you deserve compensation for having your ownership rights taken in that fashion. Now, extending the argument further: The government allows buildings, but only certain types of pre-approved buildings. Again, where you had rights (to do anything you wanted) before, now your rights are fewer, so you deserve confiscation for that portion of your ownership rights that has been taken from you.

So, by this reasoning I say that any zoning laws are unlawful confiscations of private property (because they limit usage and ownership implies usage) because land owners are not compensated for the portion of their property rights that are taken by zoning...And the 4th amendment of the constitution requires all goverment property seizures to be justly compensated.

Now, I don't know how philosophical you are, but if you think about it, it should be obvious that zoning is nothing more than theivery. Why do I say that? In a free market, land usage is determined by ownership, so if you wanted to control what kinds of things are built around your land, you should just buy up all the land you care about and decide for yourself what to do with it (see above post). Now fast forward to a world with zoning. You have a group of people who want to control land that is not theirs, so instead of pooling their resources to buy the land and control it directly, they mis-use the police power of government to forcefully take control of the land, thus they incur no expense to reimburse the real property owners. If you don't think zoning laws carry the threat of police force, then you are completely nieve/simple minded. Every eviction is carried out with police present, pistols at the ready. It is only because your personal ambitions about what should be built far exceed your financial resources that you support zoning. You probably need to re-align your desires for "planning" with your own personal resources available for use in "planning" and leave the government (and guns) out of it.

[Edit: spelling]

The irony of Kheldane's rant about the government's use of police force to evict someone from "their" property is that this same police force prevents others from stealing/invading/claiming/trespassing on "their" property. It's called compromise.

-Sean

Archived