IDLE CHATTER: A new Revolution stadium in RI?

As for a soccer stadium... I think there would be issues with attracting other events to such a facility, with Gillette not that far away. Rentschler Field works well for Hartford because there aren't any other outdoor stadiums in the Hartford area. They're able to get those major outdoor concerts and stuff.

Perhaps if the stadium were to host PC's soccer team along with the Revs, and hosted some football games during the winter (not the Pats obviously, but maybe the Brown-URI game and high school playoffs), it could work. Also, it could provide space to allow PVD to bring back events like the X games.

Allens Ave. would be a great spot for this, but I'm not sure if there is enough available land.

i don't think they'll have problems attracting other events. if they make it the same size as rentschler field, they can bring the likes of bruce springsteen. they could also get other acts that wouldn't need the capacity of foxboro. where does the URI football team play? maybe they could do a deal like the uconn basketball team and play some games on campus and play bigger games in the stadium. in fact, it could be used to make football bigger at URI.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think they'll have problems attracting other events. if they make it the same size as rentschler field, they can bring the likes of bruce springsteen. they could also get other acts that wouldn't need the capacity of foxboro. where does the URI football team play? maybe they could do a deal like the uconn basketball team and play some games on campus and play bigger games in the stadium. in fact, it could be used to make football bigger at URI.

Exactly, stadium requirements are important in building a football program. I don't know what URI Football is currently, but if they want to go IA they will need a stadium at least the size of UConn's. That would be very cool in my opinion to get another Division I football program in New England besides BC and UConn. Tailgating and all that catches on quick, and I'm sure even quicker for you guys already living in Pats land. I personally think a stadium for MLS and URI Football could do very well in PVD.

where does the URI football team play?

They have an on-campus facility. The facility is a dump, but they are in the process of renovating it.

The football program is I-AA currently. I'd like to see them go I-A, it would greatly enhance our local sports scene IMO. I heard somewhere that the Atlantic 10 conference is going to get out of the football business. Perhaps that would be URI's chance at an upgrade??

They have an on-campus facility. The facility is a dump, but they are in the process of renovating it.

The football program is I-AA currently. I'd like to see them go I-A, it would greatly enhance our local sports scene IMO. I heard somewhere that the Atlantic 10 conference is going to get out of the football business. Perhaps that would be URI's chance at an upgrade??

i imagine it's like what uconn's used to be like... just a field with some bleachers on campus. i think URI would greatly benefit from a stadium... maybe they could get it in providence and then URI could jump to 1A.

i imagine it's like what uconn's used to be like... just a field with some bleachers on campus. i think URI would greatly benefit from a stadium... maybe they could get it in providence and then URI could jump to 1A.

I would say go for it, especially if the A10 is getting out of Football, if you build the stadium they can be an independant IA team for a while until they find a Football conference that might want them. I would say C-USA would be a start, since they are still rebuilding after losing their best schools to the Big East.

Or MLS can come play in East Hartford.......

Just Kidding but not really!

URI's AD used to be with UConn. Maybe (hopefully) he can use some of his experience here.

Does UConn run buses or something to its football games & basketball games in Hartford?

URI's AD used to be with UConn. Maybe (hopefully) he can use some of his experience here.

Does UConn run buses or something to its football games & basketball games in Hartford?

yes they do... i think they cost like $1 for students to get to the basketball games (the stadium wasn't there when i was a student). it may have changed though.

PC provides a free bus to students to get to the basketball games at the dunk.

Sent a letter to Mayor Cicilline regarding this stadium, it sounds like an excellent idea. Just what we need.

Since your PVD Forum here on UP seems to have some muscle, I am sure you guys can get the city and state to at least consider the idea. I think MLS would be open to the idea given the current level of development in PVD and your proximity to BOS. URI is your state school, right? I just read the Boston Globe article and it looks like they don't like to put up public funds for projects like this. That could be how you guys steal this one.

URI is teh state school... i think it's soemthing that should be sent to the state reps and senators as well as the governor. having cicilline lobbying for it wouldn't hurt, but it's something that's gonna take state money and power to get.

I think everyone is going in the wrong direction with an expectation of URI going to Division 1-A in football. Money at both the school and state level is going to be difficult. They are not a UConn and this is not the State of Conneticut. Because of money concerns URI can only field a club level hockey team.

The school that could provide/use a stadium in Providence is Bryant University. They have been very aggressive in improving their sports image in all sports and levels. Football was only at a club level 7 years ago, but now they have a good Division 1-AA program. I could see them going to the next level in 5-10 years.

Rather than all public funds, they as a private institution could provide some of the monies needed in the development of a Providence stadium.

Mark

I think everyone is going in the wrong direction with an expectation of URI going to Division 1-A in football. Money at both the school and state level is going to be difficult. They are not a UConn and this is not the State of Conneticut. Because of money concerns URI can only field a club level hockey team.

The school that could provide/use a stadium in Providence is Bryant University. They have been very aggressive in improving their sports image in all sports and levels. Football was only at a club level 7 years ago, but now they have a good Division 1-AA program. I could see them going to the next level in 5-10 years.

Rather than all public funds, they as a private institution could provide some of the monies needed in the development of a Providence stadium.

Mark

Hey, I go to Bryant, and I can completely agree, that Bryant would be a better option, just for an example they are in the Northeast-10 conference which is the only "non-scholarship" conference besides the Patriot League in all NCAA Football Conferences, They also are willing to upgrade all facilities and athletics, because they understand how much athletics adds to the school. Academically they are only second to Brown and they wouldn't be passing them any time soon or ever probably, but with athletics in football no one in Rhode Island stands outs and they would have a good chance. As far as private funds they are around 159.1 million for an endowment, before this school year. They receive about 5% of all tuition to go into endowment that isn't initially touched. And we pay 34,000 to go there just for an idea. I also thing it would be a good way to connect back to Bryant's Providence roots, since all they talk about at Bryant besides their "Providence Archway" is their obsession with making the schools grass look nice. So it seems like it would work. Bryant also contacted Triggs about using their golf course to be their "home course" to host Northeast tournaments so it is possible they could do this with a couple sports.

On a side note URI just put a million dollar scoreboard at their football field, and are building new stands about 5-7,000 more im not sure on the price, but with all that money they are putting in it seems like they are trying to upgrade more than move out I guess you could say. a PS- URI and the rest of the A10 is moving to the Patriot, with a few maybe getting invites to the NEC or the MAAC once the A10 disbands football this year.

Also a side note to transfer to NCAA Division 1A football it is a 7 year process, and you either must prove attendance of 15,000 i think or the capacity of up to or greater than 20,000 I believe, so that is the only way that would work... But what schools do is "purchase and release student/alumni tickets" to meet those numbers atleast initially.

Globe article about MLS, they want our money:

Soccer officials want communities to kick in. Cities and towns are asked for stadium proposals. [The Boston Globe]

We knew that would be the case. We also know that Mass will be stingy because they figure the team wants to be in Boston. RI, get out the incentives and you have a good chance at winning this from Mass!

My 2 cents is that it is feasable and worth it.....

Well, they haven't announced the other towns/cities competing, so for all we know, Providence could be one of them. It does seem Kraft wants to be in the Greater Boston area. If Providence were to have a shot, it would have to be with the state's help, no way Providence could produce any funds on it's own.

no, i just mean I had no clue that a stadium was looking to be built somewhere

i think it's more kraft wanting to have one built for him without any monetary input from himself. read the article from the first post of this discussion, it explains it better than i can off the top of my head.

i think it's more kraft wanting to have one built for him without any monetary input from himself. read the article from the first post of this discussion, it explains it better than i can off the top of my head.

Of course, that's how Kraft is. I think it would be good fit for PVD and the team and may actually be better than Boston from the standpoint of growing the fanbase for MLS in a less congested market where it will get tons of media attention. And, if the Boston fans care about MLS they can still go the games in PVD with relative ease.

Of course, that's how Kraft is. I think it would be good fit for PVD and the team and may actually be better than Boston from the standpoint of growing the fanbase for MLS in a less congested market where it will get tons of media attention. And, if the Boston fans care about MLS they can still go the games in PVD with relative ease.

that's exactly the point. i think providence also offers a larger diversity of ethnicities that would be interested in soccer, so they might get better turnout in providence. and with the increased commuter rail service to providence, it would be quite easy to travel between the 2 cities for the games.

that's exactly the point. i think providence also offers a larger diversity of ethnicities that would be interested in soccer, so they might get better turnout in providence.

Not to mention the fans that would come from NB & FR.

Archived