A Return to 55 MPH In Conn?

drc72

which is why they need more cops enforcing the laws in fairfield county. people in SUV's think they own the road... which is funny when i usually see more SUV's spun out on the side of the highway during snow storms. :lol:

LOL! That is true. I do see a lot of SUVs in the woods during a bad snowstorm.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and i think it's a rule in fairfield county that you must have at least 1 SUV per household to live there..

The way gas prices are now, I don't think I would want one. Unless they come out with a few fuel efficient models.

Everyone seems to not follow the rules. Most people don't signal. People travelling in the passing lane is bad, too. Whenever I'm passing someone (going 75ish) and someone tailgates me I forget passing the other person and immediately slow down. When they go and try to pass me on the right I speed up and don't let them. It really pisses them off. Sure what I'm doing is dangerous... but most people give me my space when I slow down and then (if I'm on a 2 lane or wider road) I immediately pull over to the other lane. The idiots that don't get it sometimes continue just tailgating me but usually do something like flash their headlights, which just makes me laugh. Yes, I'm that guy everyone hates... but tailgating is a huge peeve of mine. I give more than the required distance between cars and everyone else seems to like to come right up your ass and tailgate you, which is sooo dangerous.

While I understand your frustration if you were just in the left lane to pass someone, I find this little "game" SO annoying when the person is just cruising at a slow speed in the left lane for no reason. I've had this done to me before and it is beyond dangerous. Do these people ever think that maybe those who are tailgating them have a life and need to get somewhere by a certain time. These morons pass sign after sign that says, "KEEP RIGHT, PASS LEFT" and they just ignore it and cruise along at 55 in the left lane. Not to mention, if they checked their damn mirrors more often, maybe they wouldn't find people on their behinds all the time. When I'm driving in the left lane I am always checking who is behind me. If someone is approaching at a rapid rate, I move over. This way, there is no tailgating at all and everyone is happy. This game of moving REALLY slow in the left lane and then speeding up when you are about to be passed is especially annoying on the Merritt because it is basically a 2-lane major highway.

While I understand your frustration if you were just in the left lane to pass someone, I find this little "game" SO annoying when the person is just cruising at a slow speed in the left lane for no reason. I've had this done to me before and it is beyond dangerous. Do these people ever think that maybe those who are tailgating them have a life and need to get somewhere by a certain time. These morons pass sign after sign that says, "KEEP RIGHT, PASS LEFT" and they just ignore it and cruise along at 55 in the left lane. Not to mention, if they checked their damn mirrors more often, maybe they wouldn't find people on their behinds all the time. When I'm driving in the left lane I am always checking who is behind me. If someone is approaching at a rapid rate, I move over. This way, there is no tailgating at all and everyone is happy. This game of moving REALLY slow in the left lane and then speeding up when you are about to be passed is especially annoying on the Merritt because it is basically a 2-lane major highway.

I agree. I do the same thing, check my rear view mirror literally every 20 seconds while in the left lane. I can't stand those people who slow down so that I can't pass. That's the most dangerous driving I've experienced. They almost want me to hit them in their rear. In fact, may of them will get in front of me and block me off and then slam on their brakes - unbelievable.

Yeah I see what you're saying... I hate people who travel in the left lane, period... but especially those who travel 55-70 in the left like those you complain about. My gripe was when I'm in the midst of passing someone (already going 75ish) and then someone comes right up to my bumper. If you're in that much of a hurry, in most cases the problem would have been solved by leaving earlier. I'm sure most of these people always speeding do so by habit and not because they are in an emergency.

I do play that "game" of slowing down in the left when tailgated by some dickhead and have slowed down to 40 (which I think is the minimum speed on the highways) only for the other person to not get it, try passing me on the right and me accelerating and usually beating them. I am not one of those who speeds up when being passed on the left, and a lot of people do that for some reason beyond my knowing. Keep in mind.. I use the left for passing not travelling and people are always tailing me even though I'm going 10-20 over (the limit is still 55 in the cities). After my little chuckle has been had I usually just let the assholes go...

I find that very annoying as well. I don't know why some people feel the need to use the fast lane as a slow lane. Move all the way to the right lane, if you want to drive slow. Then I could care less.

driving slow in the left lane is annoying... but people who tailgate when there's like 5 cars in front of me preventing me from going faster and there's a truck to my right preventing me from moving over are really obnoxious. i never pull over for these people. they can tailgate and flash their lights all they want. i'm not moving over until i'm the slower car and i've passed everyone i wanted to.

there was one guy in RI who nearly killed me. i think he was mentally off-balance though. we were going down 95, i was in the left lane (it's a 4 lane road where we were, speed limit 55) doing about 60. there were 4 or 5 cars in front of me and cars to my right. i couldn't go anywhere. he'd slow down, then speed up really fast realy close to my back bumper flashing his lights and waving his fists. i slowed down to create more room between me and the car in front of me in case this idiot hit me and i may have told him that he's number 1 in my book as well (if you catch my drift). he eventually found a hole to the right and took it right away (i would've moved over, but couldn't because of him). he then pulls in front of me and slams on his brakes, screeching his tires and then takes off waving his fist and giving the finger and all sorts of other stuff. my fiancee called the state police at this point to report him because we got his plate. turned out we were the third people to report the same car for reckless driving in a fairly short period of time. shortly after we saw a cop flying down the road... never did find out if he was caught or not.

I can't stand it when people tailgate.

i usually slow down to pretty close to the speed limit until they back off and usually they don't pull the same stunt that other idiot did... althought that incident shook me up a bit because had i been closer, my car would've been flattened. so i tend not to do taht anymore, although it does really piss me off when people tailgate.

i usually slow down to pretty close to the speed limit until they back off and usually they don't pull the same stunt that other idiot did... althought that incident shook me up a bit because had i been closer, my car would've been flattened. so i tend not to do taht anymore, although it does really piss me off when people tailgate.

I hear tailgating carries a pretty hefty fine, if caught. Unfortunately cops are never around when it happens to you.

I hear tailgating carries a pretty hefty fine, if caught. Unfortunately cops are never around when it happens to you.

$93 to be exact. you're only caught if you rear end someone. i was in an accident on 95 in niantic, but i was hit so hard, i hit the car in front of me. i got a ticket for following too close. didn't have to even say anything when i went to fight it and it was reduced to $35. i probably could've gotten it tossed had i brought it to trial. i wish CT had you see a judge rather than the state's attorney.

$93 to be exact. you're only caught if you rear end someone. i was in an accident on 95 in niantic, but i was hit so hard, i hit the car in front of me. i got a ticket for following too close. didn't have to even say anything when i went to fight it and it was reduced to $35. i probably could've gotten it tossed had i brought it to trial. i wish CT had you see a judge rather than the state's attorney.

So you still had to pay, even though you got pushed into the other car. That's total BS!!! I would of fought that hard in court.

So you still had to pay, even though you got pushed into the other car. That's total BS!!! I would of fought that hard in court.

i live and work an hour away from where i had to go see the state's attorney. luckily, at that point, i was working at night so i was able to go during the day before work. i didn't have the time to deal with a "trial". why can't CT just put you in front of a judge from the start like every other state? if that had happened, i'm sure it would've been thrown out.

the state's attorney simply said "i can offer you a reduced fine or you can go to trial". that was it. i said "it was a moving violation adn i wasn't moving, i was stopped when i was pushed into the car". she simply said "we take tailgating seriously here" and offered me the trial or reduced fine. so i paid it. it hasn't affected my insurance, so i really don't care.

Archived