IN PROGRESS: 917 Main Street

beerbeer

That picture of Main Street in the 50s is what Trumbull Street should become.

I see no reason why United Technologies can't move out of the Gold Building and into a tower on Main and Asylum. A building that would feature Carrier air condiditioning, Otis elevators, ad maybe even be powered by fuel cells.

What'd the GOLD BUILDING become? Will it be an EMPTY SHELL. Of course, I'd love to see - since the WHA had their headquarters there -- a space called the WHA HALL OF FAME. (David Murphy, HOWARD BALDWIN, The HOWEs, ELLA T. GRASSO and Wayne GRETZKY, should be the first members). That would be a cool place -- another hall of fame for Hartford. (Anyone knows we have the CRICKET HALL OF FAME?)

JIm S

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news to hear that. Still, it may be too little too late, the city's already been destroyed. I just hope we start holding the people responible accountable..

To say it is too little too late is a heck of an attitude. All that we can worry about is that the city continues to move forward, while still keeping the the architechture styles of the past. Anything that can be done to keep and preserve the past is a big step in the right direction. To worry about what happened in the past is simply non-productive. Also, the city has been destroyed? C'mon, yes some great buildings have been torn down, and we may never be able to recapture the effect those buildings had on the city, but the city is far from destroyed.

To say it is too little too late is a heck of an attitude. All that we can worry about is that the city continues to move forward, while still keeping the the architechture styles of the past. Anything that can be done to keep and preserve the past is a big step in the right direction. To worry about what happened in the past is simply non-productive. Also, the city has been destroyed? C'mon, yes some great buildings have been torn down, and we may never be able to recapture the effect those buildings had on the city, but the city is far from destroyed.

And in my opinion, if done correctly, enough new development can take Hartford places it's never been before. So, I would also say it is far from destroyed. It has been damaged in some spots, and some building in some of the neighborhoods have outlived their useful lives. We just have to use better judgement today than was used in the past.

And in my opinion, if done correctly, enough new development can take Hartford places it's never been before. So, I would also say it is far from destroyed. It has been damaged in some spots, and some building in some of the neighborhoods have outlived their useful lives. We just have to use better judgement today than was used in the past.

Completely agree. :thumbsup:

Alright thanks guys I need some reassurance sometimes. I really am a proud Hartfordite, it's just sometimes difficult as you all know.

I know how it is. Sometimes it seems like the damage is irreversible and it's truly depressing to see pictures of the good old days that most of us never even experienced. However, I think we have no choice but to be positive if we care about Hartford since the alternative certainly will not improve anything.

I have three books named "Lost Hartford." I suggest anyone who is interested in what Hartford looked like in the past pick up these picture books. You can find them in any bookstore in the hartford area.

Each volume showcases how Hartford looked through the camera age. During Hartford's golden age at the turn of the century, there were some truly magnificent ornate victorian office buildings built downtown that have been torn down. I know many cities could say the same, but some of these pictures of what we lost are truly depressing.

I am a major Hartford supporter....one who may go to another city and go out of my way to look for flaws in other places which make Hartford look better. But even I sometimes go to other cities and notice all of the historic buildings that have been preserved in a city like Providence for example.

Now with this in mind though im reading a book called "Cities: Back from the edge, new life for downtown". This a great book but on this toptic it talks about how yes preservig historic buildings is great for places but if that cant be done building things in the right way (mean mixed use, pedestrian friendly, all that stuff) will also help and it looks as finally Hartford is doing that

I have three books named "Lost Hartford." I suggest anyone who is interested in what Hartford looked like in the past pick up these picture books. You can find them in any bookstore in the hartford area.

Each volume showcases how Hartford looked through the camera age. During Hartford's golden age at the turn of the century, there were some truly magnificent ornate victorian office buildings built downtown that have been torn down. I know many cities could say the same, but some of these pictures of what we lost are truly depressing.

I couldn't bare to look at those lost treasures. It's a shame indeed.

You know, I walked by this building yesterday, and couldn't help but look up and stare for a few minutes. The artwork is fantasic!

Whoever covered the building up with those ugly fake brick in the first place is a complete idiot. Now only a small part can be preserved.

• 1 year later...
According to the Courant -Apartment dwellers sought for after New Year's in the 160,000-square-foot David Nyberg project.

One and two-bedroom units ready for viewing; some already leased. Three of six commercial spaces leased. Two restaurants operating. Lobby shines in original splendor.

And he does it all without any extra money from the state or city. They should put up a statue of this guy.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this project is quite far along at this point but I noticed that there was no thread for it and I looked over a year back.

I wanted to post that from my office I can see workers slowly plugging away at this project. The most recent work being done is a new crown to the building. They are replicating the new siding put on Kyoto resturant on Pratt by putting the foam STO covering and then painting it the same yellowish tan color. Not a great look, but better than the current industrial scarred concrete look. They just did another section of the roof and I am curious if they plan on wrapping this all the way around the top of the building.

I will also add that I was in woodys last Friday and saw that they have come a long way in cleaning up the ground floor(lobby) and having Quiznos back open is a great improvement as well.

The interiors of the units are coming along as well as I can see thru the windown and see fully built out kitchens in each unit.

I am very interested to see what this building will do this area come summer. With Dish, and Kyoto(sure to be open this summer) and all the residents in the building, the corner of Main and Pratt is definately on the rise.

I spoke to the rental agent about a month ago and it is for sure going to be BOTH condos and apartments. I was trying to find out how many condos, square footage, and cost, but she did not have final numbers and I didnt want to have her get back to me because realtors never seem to stop calling once they have your cell number.

Archived