City to City Controlled Access Highways

AlabamaGuy2007

City to City Freeways  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following pair of Alabama need to be connected by a controlled access highway the most?

• Auburn to Dothan
    • Auburn to Anniston
    • Birmingham to Auburn
    • Birmingham to Florence
    • Decatur to Gadsden
    • Gadsden to Anniston
    • Huntsville to Gadsden
    • Huntsville to Birmingham
    • Mobile to Dothan
    • Mobile to Tuscaloosa
    • Montgomery to Tuscaloosa
    • Montgomery to Dothan
    • Montgomery to Anniston
    • Tuscaloosa to Florence
    • Tuscaloosa to Decatur

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was talk of building a freeway between Mobile, Tuscaloosa, and Florence, but I think that idea hasn't really gotten off the ground since Don Sigeilman, the biggest proponent of the idea, left office. I doubt that road will ever see the light of day anyway, but if I-85 can get extended west in the name of economic prosperity, who knows what will happen with that road.

Out of all of the choices in the poll, I believe that a connection between Huntsville and Gadsden (and Anniston) would get the most traffic. It would provide a connection to Atlanta from Huntsville while serving a fairly large populace.

Another connection that may be logical would be between Birmingham and Auburn. This could serve as an eastward extension of future I-22. US 280 is four lanes all the way between Birmingham and Auburn, but it does pass through some towns, and a freeway may pave the way for a northwest to southeast route to Florida, provided that the freeway does not stop in Auburn but goes farther to the southeast to Columbus, GA and points south.

A choice that should be added to the poll would be Huntsville to Florence. Although that would be taken care of with the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate, it doesn't exist yet, and it may be decades before this road comes to fruition.

There was talk of building a freeway between Mobile, Tuscaloosa, and Florence, but I think that idea hasn't really gotten off the ground since Don Sigeilman, the biggest proponent of the idea, left office. I doubt that road will ever see the light of day anyway, but if I-85 can get extended west in the name of economic prosperity, who knows what will happen with that road.

Out of all of the choices in the poll, I believe that a connection between Huntsville and Gadsden (and Anniston) would get the most traffic. It would provide a connection to Atlanta from Huntsville while serving a fairly large populace.

Another connection that may be logical would be between Birmingham and Auburn. This could serve as an eastward extension of future I-22. US 280 is four lanes all the way between Birmingham and Auburn, but it does pass through some towns, and a freeway may pave the way for a northwest to southeast route to Florida, provided that the freeway does not stop in Auburn but goes farther to the southeast to Columbus, GA and points south.

A choice that should be added to the poll would be Huntsville to Florence. Although that would be taken care of with the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate, it doesn't exist yet, and it may be decades before this road comes to fruition.

Well, it would be easier just to put a CA Highway to Rome, GA. But yea, I would enjoy an interstate goin down 431. I would also support one going between Decatur and Gadsden, haha, cause I have family down there.

In the case with Huntsville to Florence, I though of that. But when you think about it, there's adequate "routage" to get you there, you have one US 72 from Hville to Flotown, and a US Alt 72 between Decatur and MShoals. That's why I didn't put that there.

But yea, one that went from Huntsville to Attalla then hitched a ride with I-759. Then from there, they could finish College Parkway to Gadsden State and from College Pkwy in Glencoe, go down 431 to Anniston, Oxford, then I-20. That'd be great.

The one I'll throw in is Gulf Shores/Orange Beach up to I-65.

As it is, AL59 is really the only complete north-south route in Baldwin County.

There are plans in the works to connect the Orange Beach toll bridge/Foley Beach Express) to I-10, but it would be convenient to have a "quick route" to/from the coast that doesn't involve a toll.

• 5 weeks later...

I chose Huntsville to Birmingham, but if a connection from Huntsville to the rest of the country was a choice I would pick that one. Huntsville is under-served with Interstate, mainly having to rely on secondary highway other then I-565. With BRAC benefiting Huntsville and an estimate Metro to reach 1,000,000 in fifty years or sooner; Interstate is most definitely going to be need, because secondary highway (nor Bypasses for that matter, other then for the people just passing though) will not relieve intercity congestion.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think any of those cities really need to be connected that badly.

HSV and BHM are already connected by controlled access (I-65/565), there is no need to build another direct route. If you really want another way to HSV from BHM, then spend the money to upgrade AL Hwy 79 and US 231 to a limited access or 4-lane at grade highway for its full length to HSV.

You could upgrade US 43 from Mobile to Florence to a limited access highway connecting Mobile, Tuscaloosa and Florence. Then utilize I-22 to provide for a BHM-Florence route.

Upgrade US 431 to limited access or a complete 4-lane at grade will probably be adequate for a route from Huntsville to Dothan.

Birmingham to Auburn, take your pick, US 280 East or I-65 south to I-85 north. No real need for a controlled access highway here.

Decatur to Gadsden, no need here, routing is sufficient with the possibility of a few slight upgrades.

Mobile to Dothan, I-10 East to US 231 North is good enough, no need for a straight line route, plus it would eat up a lot of farmland.

Montgomery to Tuscaloosa, haven't they been working on this for a while? Aren't they working towards some kind of limited access here?

Montgomery to Dothan/Montgomery to Anniston, no need really, US 231 is sufficient.

Tuscaloosa to Decatur, no need, if US 43 is upgraded and Corridor V is completed then you will have the route to Decatur.

I don't think any of those cities really need to be connected that badly.

HSV and BHM are already connected by controlled access (I-65/565), there is no need to build another direct route. If you really want another way to HSV from BHM, then spend the money to upgrade AL Hwy 79 and US 231 to a limited access or 4-lane at grade highway for its full length to HSV.

You could upgrade US 43 from Mobile to Florence to a limited access highway connecting Mobile, Tuscaloosa and Florence. Then utilize I-22 to provide for a BHM-Florence route.

Upgrade US 431 to limited access or a complete 4-lane at grade will probably be adequate for a route from Huntsville to Dothan.

Birmingham to Auburn, take your pick, US 280 East or I-65 south to I-85 north. No real need for a controlled access highway here.

Decatur to Gadsden, no need here, routing is sufficient with the possibility of a few slight upgrades.

Mobile to Dothan, I-10 East to US 231 North is good enough, no need for a straight line route, plus it would eat up a lot of farmland.

Montgomery to Tuscaloosa, haven't they been working on this for a while? Aren't they working towards some kind of limited access here?

Montgomery to Dothan/Montgomery to Anniston, no need really, US 231 is sufficient.

Tuscaloosa to Decatur, no need, if US 43 is upgraded and Corridor V is completed then you will have the route to Decatur.

Haha, more than a few upgrades need to be made on AL 67 and US 280 between Decatur and Gadsden. I don't know if you've ever driven that route, but I do very very often. It's horrible, It 2 lanes wide about 75% of the way.

Haha, more than a few upgrades need to be made on AL 67 and US 280 between Decatur and Gadsden. I don't know if you've ever driven that route, but I do very very often. It's horrible, It 2 lanes wide about 75% of the way.

Well as far as truck traffic is concerned it should be routed down I-65 to US 278 anyways. And yes I've been through there, hell I sat at the light there by Brewer HS in Florette and watch a truck make no attempt to stop, my light was green about 5-10 seconds when that cat blew through, I'm very lucky that I wasn't in a hurry to get across 67.

Well as far as truck traffic is concerned it should be routed down I-65 to US 278 anyways. And yes I've been through there, hell I sat at the light there by Brewer HS in Florette and watch a truck make no attempt to stop, my light was green about 5-10 seconds when that cat blew through, I'm very lucky that I wasn't in a hurry to get across 67.

Well, the I-65 route IS the said "shortest route". But I always get there quicker going down 67. But, as many times as I've been down there, many hundreds of times, the traffic is always heavy at times. Especially on Sundays cause of the flea market. But, people from Decatur work in Gadsden at the Goodyear plant.

Archived