Las Olas Riverfront owners want to replace it with condo towers and shops

mediaspree

Article in the Sun-Sentinel this morning

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

The new owners of Las olas riverfront (2 story entertainment destination in the heart of the city of Fort Lauderdale) want to tear it down and replace it with 3 condo towers as well as eating/drinking/entertainment.

For those that might not know Riverfront is losing tenants left and right, just recently Dan Marinos Town Tavern, Johnny Rockets, and ...gasp...Hooters have closed their doors and basically rendered the place a Ghost town on weekday nights. And this when it was supposed to start being its time of greatest success with the opening of 6+ new condo towers within walking distance!

While I support a retooling of the place this rendering looks to be TOO much...whatcha think?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I don't think it's too much at all. This is the CBD. Now I'm aware that FTL has the 3,000 unit limit, which I think is questionable. And I also know that FTLers, for whatever reason, are the most height-phobic people in the state.

Whatever the case, Riverfront is clearly a failure, and here's an opportunity to embrace a developer who's willing to do something about it.

Also I found this interesting from the article:

"On Brickell Avenue, the street that runs into the complex running north-south, fiber optic lights would project a "virtual river" onto the asphalt, for the illusion of one river running into another." This sounds very "Las Vegas" like...

Article in the Sun-Sentinel this morning

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

The new owners of Las olas riverfront (2 story entertainment destination in the heart of the city of Fort Lauderdale) want to tear it down and replace it with 3 condo towers as well as eating/drinking/entertainment.

For those that might not know Riverfront is losing tenants left and right, just recently Dan Marinos Town Tavern, Johnny Rockets, and ...gasp...Hooters have closed their doors and basically rendered the place a Ghost town on weekday nights. And this when it was supposed to start being its time of greatest success with the opening of 6+ new condo towers within walking distance!

While I support a retooling of the place this rendering looks to be TOO much...whatcha think?

I love the idea of this complex. I think it looks nice and would be a welcome change from the sad ghost town that there now. I agree that people in Fort Lauderdale seem to be very weird about height... hello! It is DOWNTOWN, if you can't have tall buildings there, where the hell can you have them? Some of the long time residents are just bitter and unhappy about change coming to the city. I really hope this goes through as proposed and doesn't get watered down to nothing but a bunch of formless masses of 20 story walls. I would rather see tall slender towers than bulky midrises from hell any day.

I love the idea of this complex. I think it looks nice and would be a welcome change from the sad ghost town that there now. I agree that people in Fort Lauderdale seem to be very weird about height... hello! It is DOWNTOWN, if you can't have tall buildings there, where the hell can you have them? Some of the long time residents are just bitter and unhappy about change coming to the city. I really hope this goes through as proposed and doesn't get watered down to nothing but a bunch of formless masses of 20 story walls. I would rather see tall slender towers than bulky midrises from hell any day.

I suspect that the bigger struggle is how are they going to get all these units approved with FTL's stringent developement cap ? And by the way, what is the purpose of the 3,000 unit development cap ? Is it to insure that infrastructure keeps pace with development ?

I suspect that the bigger struggle is how are they going to get all these units approved with FTL's stringent developement cap ? And by the way, what is the purpose of the 3,000 unit development cap ? Is it to insure that infrastructure keeps pace with development ?

Currently there is no decent public transportation in downtown FTL. While many ammenites are in walking distance if you live downtown, most people here still love their cars and every unit = more on the already overcrowded roads. Try convincing the anti development types to put an extra penny on their sales tax to pay for a new light rail system! (which is on the ballet this november)

Currently there is no decent public transportation in downtown FTL. While many ammenites are in walking distance if you live downtown, most people here still love their cars and every unit = more on the already overcrowded roads. Try convincing the anti development types to put an extra penny on their sales tax to pay for a new light rail system! (which is on the ballet this november)

It seems to me that FTL in general and the city govenment in particular are 'anti-development'. <_<

The city actually wanted to allow another 10,000 units, but the county is holding things up. The issue should be coming up again soon.

The city actually wanted to allow another 10,000 units, but the county is holding things up. The issue should be coming up again soon.

Sounds promising. And I thought it was interesting that the article drew attention to the 39st tower when there is also a 41st tower.

Not sure if this warranted a new thread or not but thought I'd post here

The Fort Lauderdale Downtown Development Authority just released a new redesigned website. While I am not to keen on the design and navigation there are some good photos in the "Visualize->Photos" Section with shots of buildings in the downtown and several aerial views. Also in the "live work play" section there are fantastic shots of the skyline.

http://www.ddaftl.org

Having just visited the moribund remains of the Las Olas Riverfront last week, I agree that it isn't working very well at all. The mix of shops and restaurants was never exactly right, but I hope its replacement will offer better amenities and not merely huge walls of balconies staring mournfully down at the river. As for the departure of Johnny Rocket's and Hooters, I would venture that this is something to be celebrated instead of mourned. I just hope they get it right the second time around.

Having just visited the moribund remains of the Las Olas Riverfront last week, I agree that it isn't working very well at all. The mix of shops and restaurants was never exactly right, but I hope its replacement will offer better amenities and not merely huge walls of balconies staring mournfully down at the river. As for the departure of Johnny Rocket's and Hooters, I would venture that this is something to be celebrated instead of mourned. I just hope they get it right the second time around.

I think alot of the death of Riverfront can be attributed to the opening of the Hard Rock complex in Hollywood with its mixture of high end shops and bars which seem to "get it right" why would anyone who lives South or West of Fort Lauderdale come to Riverfront when they have the Hard Rock?

I think alot of the death of Riverfront can be attributed to the opening of the Hard Rock complex in Hollywood with its mixture of high end shops and bars which seem to "get it right" why would anyone who lives South or West of Fort Lauderdale come to Riverfront when they have the Hard Rock?

That's a good point, Hardrock also has free parking. Fort Lauderdale could do some things though to make it stand out and to attract more people.

Guys have you been to city place in west palm beach or the retail complex across the street from Univerity of Miami? Those were done properly. When you look at them and then compare the river front to them you really see how poorly designed and small minded the river front project was.

Guys have you been to city place in west palm beach or the retail complex across the street from Univerity of Miami? Those were done properly. When you look at them and then compare the river front to them you really see how poorly designed and small minded the river front project was.

I have been to both and I agree completely. I just don't see 3 condo towers necessary or possible on that location. Maybe one well designed tower attached to shops/restraunts with the ambiance of city place etc. With the years long struggle that took place to get Icon Las Olas approved next to the Stranahan House, how are they going to get three massive condos approved next to the so called "historic distric" I forsee years of struggle before these condos finally get approved and by then Riverfront will be like Hyde Park Market. Empty. And hurting the downtown. :(

I have been to both and I agree completely. I just don't see 3 condo towers necessary or possible on that location. Maybe one well designed tower attached to shops/restraunts with the ambiance of city place etc. With the years long struggle that took place to get Icon Las Olas approved next to the Stranahan House, how are they going to get three massive condos approved next to the so called "historic distric" I forsee years of struggle before these condos finally get approved and by then Riverfront will be like Hyde Park Market. Empty. And hurting the downtown. :(

Shame.

I Believe it's time for a give las olas riverfront a makeover.

Shame.

I Believe it's time for a give las olas riverfront a makeover.

I think its time we get rid of the city officials here in fort lauderdale and get some officials who don't think like some small town city council in rural south carolina some where. We need progressive forward thinking officials, and urban planners. Maybe we can steal some from New York City or Chicago to come and fix this freaking place.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't tell too much from the renderings, but they don't suggest much in the way of an exciting retail/restaurant area. I hope I am mistaken here. I'd like to see the shops and restaurants improved...not banished.

I agree, to me it looks like 3 large walls of white, uninspiring looking condos with an afterthought of some retail facing the river. They're going to have to do some more convincing for me to accept this as a viable replacement for riverfront...though my voice is very small :)

Also in the image that appears to look east from the Symphony condos I see a big concrete wall lining the riverfront...I really hope this is not going to be a reality!

• 4 months later...

Archived