West Nashville Development Question

jcoop

I've searched through some other threads and checked the development map but I haven't been able to find an answer.

What is going to be on Charlotte out past White Bridge Rd? If you are driving on I-40 it is clearly visible from the Interstate as a large piece of land that has been leveled and some construction has begun. If I need to clarify the location more, I can try, but if anyone knows where I am talking about and what is going there, please post it.

It's probably something boring, but after driving by it everytime I decide to take the interstate, I've just started to wonder.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres been about post or two about it. Its to be called Nashville West. Its going to be an open air mall with a park and some residential space. A lot of thought, money, and neighborhood input has been put into the project. The developers have said the quality of this development should in time revamp the whole area for the better. Along with this prject they have razed the old abonded walmart building and most of the Hillwood plaza (sits on the property right next to the mall) and are buidling new retail there. Its susposed to be a really nice thing for the neighborhood, I sure hope so.

Theres been about post or two about it. Its to be called Nashville West. Its going to be an open air mall with a park and some residential space. A lot of thought, money, and neighborhood input has been put into the project. The developers have said the quality of this development should in time revamp the whole area for the better. Along with this prject they have razed the old abonded walmart building and most of the Hillwood plaza (sits on the property right next to the mall) and are buidling new retail there. Its susposed to be a really nice thing for the neighborhood, I sure hope so.

I've seen a few reports from some other website that there is to be a new Target store built there?

I haven't heard anything about Target. To me it seems a bit close to the White Bridge Rd. Target, but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Best Buy and Dick's were going to be tenants, though that was a while ago and they may have only been prospective tenants...

Looks interesting. Maybe we will get some nice shopping out in the west side of town. The Bellevue Center (Mall) just an empty hulk now, with the exception of the three anchors, and there is not much to choose from.

However, the engineer in me is disturbed by the manner of construction. They have denuded the entire 60 acres without any form of erosion control at all, that I can tell. I saw maybe 50' of silt fence next to a stream. How do they get away with that?

thanks for all the information, I was actually surprised when I looked again on my way past this afternoon what they had started on with construction, it's been just a flat area of dirt for so long

Costco, Target, and Best Buy are going there; I think Dick's and wouldn't be suprised if Belk's came too. Don't know much else other than I look forward to NOT driving to CS for Costco!

Lol, yeah, Cool Springs is a zoo many times. I look forward to seeing how this center developes and serves the West Nashville area, those sound like some great anchor tenants (I don't think Dick's is currently in the Nashville market in fact...)

Lol, yeah, Cool Springs is a zoo many times. I look forward to seeing how this center developes and serves the West Nashville area, those sound like some great anchor tenants (I don't think Dick's is currently in the Nashville market in fact...)

We have Dick's here in Chattanooga. It's a great sporting goods store, and I hope it's true they're coming to West Nashville.

Nashville West will open at 100%. Initial commitments have been received from a number of tenants, ensuring that when it opens, the first phase of Nashville West will be 100% occupied. In the coming months, the development team will begin anouncing which stores will be in Nashville West and the redeveloped Hillwood Plaza center. The first stores are sechduled to open in late 2006 early 2007.

Curb Appeal. Among the inviting features of Nashville West will be walking and bicycling paths, sidewalks, generous foliage and landscaping, fountains, green spaces, park benches, and other attractive amenities.

The 18th century stacked stone farm wall lining the property will be relocated along Charlotte Avenue, fully restored and incorporated in the overall personality of the center. Retailers will include signature national retailers set against the backdrop of I-40 as well as smaller upscale specialty stores and upscale full service restaurants closer to Charlotte Pike.

A four acre "Park Green" addition to the existing HG Hill Park, nestled in the center of Nashville West, will feature an open green space bordered by a landscaped and tree-lined perimeter.

On scale with the green space in front of the Parthenon, HG Hills Park's Park Green will be connected with HG Hill Park via pdestrian underpass.

The product of almost two years of planning and extensive collaboration with homeowners in the neighborhood, Nashville West is moving off the drawing board and into construction.

Since they first presend the idea publicy eighteen months ago, the development team has increased thier original financial commitment in order to accoplish a number of objectives about which neighbors and area leaders feel strongly.

The original reasoning behind a master plan for the area was to try and halt what some had characterized as the "Charlotte Avenue Creep."

To date, the lack of an overall development game plan has encouraged a piece meal approach resulting in everything from car washes and body shops to pawn shops and check cashing stores in the area. Without critical mass to create positive momentum, the comercial personality of the stretch between I-40 and White Bridge Road would remain a "less-than-complementary" patch work of activity.

With the Nashville West master plan, that trend can be reversed, officials and neighbors believe. Even though construction is just now begining, developers say there is alot of interest among surrounding businesses in enhancing the consistency of the neighborhood.

Original Hillwood Plaza "eyesore" will be totally rebuilt and re-leased.

Developers Bill Oldacre and Mark McDonald, both of whom have lived in the area for at least 20 years, made a promise to neighbors that they would "create somethign eveyone could be proud of." As Nashville West takes one more step toward reality, the developers feel as strongly as ever about their early promise.

"One of the things we heard over and over again in our process of listening to neighbors was that the original Hillwood Plaza had become an abandoned eyesore and counter productive to the neighborhood," said Mark McDonald, Newton Oldacre McDonald partner. Toward that end, the developers acquired the former Hillwood Plaza Shopping Center and will redesign and rebuild the Hillwood Plaza consisten with Nashville West, bringing in new stores to fill the center.

Although Nashville West and the redeveloped Hillwood Plaza will be two seperate properties, they will share the same appealing architecture, generous landscaping, and upscale personality.

Is Target going to close their current store on White Bridge road or just have 2 stores within 2 miles?

I doubt it...the Hendersonville and Rivergate target stores are about 5 minutes apart also. Also, Dick's is currently under construction in Rivergate so I think they are making a major entrance into the Nashville market.

I doubt it...the Hendersonville and Rivergate target stores are about 5 minutes apart also. Also, Dick's is currently under construction in Rivergate so I think they are making a major entrance into the Nashville market.

Very interesting, we had Dick's Sporting Goods shops in Richmond where I lived for 2 years and they are pretty good stores IMO.

Latest site plan I have and what I have heard are as follows.

This is the line up starting on the western edge of the project

Target, Dicks, Best Buy, Ross, Marshalls. Then there is a small break from the "signature retail" to the "specialty retail". Cost Plus World Market, some shops, Old Navy, shops, Ulta, then Books a Million.

Costco is going where the old Walmart was. The old Food Lion area is going to be Party City, AC Moore, Staples, and PetsMart.

It's going to be a really nice project.

I think the Dick's in Mt. Juliet at Providence Marketplace is open now, or will be very soon. The retailer seems to believe in this market with some aggresssive plans.

The store opened in Mt. Juliet last Wednesday. They are taking the old JoAnns box in Cool Springs as JoAnns moved to the old Rhodes box. They are going to do Rivergate (maybe Sports Authority box) and the store at Nashville West.

Is Target going to close their current store on White Bridge road or just have 2 stores within 2 miles?

I really doubt it closes on WBR. As smeaglesfree said, they have been doing a huge renovation and expansion... it looks to be almost complete... I work right next to it :)

The store opened in Mt. Juliet last Wednesday. They are taking the old JoAnns box in Cool Springs as JoAnns moved to the old Rhodes box. They are going to do Rivergate (maybe Sports Authority box) and the store at Nashville West.

I went out to Providence Marketplace this week.... and Dick's was open.

I really hope this Nashville West does not turn out exactly like Providence, however. It really bothers me that there appears to be more parking lots than stores and other things.... its pretty overwhelming when you take in the huge lot!

Speaking of Mt. Juliet... I haven't been out that way much, or know much about it... but that 'city' appears to be one big long highway with everything along it.... city hall, post office, high school, middle school, elementary school, and a ton of stores, banks, restaurants, etc etc. Talk about sprawl and being car-oriented! lol

If it hasn't been mentioned already, Old Navy is going into this development also. The lady at the new bookstore in the Bellevue Center, which by the way fills up the old 'Old Navy' space :yahoo: , told me that ON prefers big boxes and left the mall when they found out about the new development on Charlotte.

Archived