West Nashville Development Question

jcoop

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have loved to see some sort of development in this area or in an area similar to this that would resemble the North Hills area of Raleigh. There may be something like this in another area of Nashville, but nothing that I am familar with.

The North Hills shopping area really feels like you are inside a small separate community once you are inside. There are two main entrances and a very good parking structure that is centrally located but doesn't stick out like a soar thumb. The main tenants of the area are Target and a movie theater. Mixed in between all of this are several unique retail boutiques as well as some Raleigh area favorite restaraunts and one of my favorites, Moe's :thumbsup:

The streets are not very big, but most people don't drive once inside after they have parked. In one visit, we easily went from Target, back to put stuff in our car, then walked to a restaraunt and then went to see a movie. There is even a nice little fountain square area right in the middle. Maybe it's my soft side, but it's a very charming development and I really applaude the developers for creating such a wonderful, walkable retail area that also offers some entertainment. You forget that right outside of the area is the Interstate and a pretty busy four lane road.

I just found this website and they have a pretty good little video tour on there that you could check out

http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/Information.htm

Costco, Target, and Best Buy are going there; I think Dick's and wouldn't be suprised if Belk's came too. Don't know much else other than I look forward to NOT driving to CS for Costco!

The building permits for Cosco, Dicks and Target have been issued and are under construction.

Hi, newbie here. I live near where Nashville West will be. I really appreciate all the info everyone's posted.

I found this web site for NW that I found helpful as far as showing design/layout of the project. From looking through the info and maps on this site, looks like it is going to be really pretty.

NashvilleWest.com

I'll keep checking back to see what others have dug up. I'm especially interested in what restaurants may be coming. Thanks! :)

Just saw the Master Plan... it appears to have virtually nothing that I would call "pedestrian friendly" about it. It's a friggin' parking lot with stores along one side. It looks like the strip shopping centers that proliferated in east Atlanta in the 1950s.

Also, I think it's humorous when a developer comes up with "amenities" like "architectural tower element" and "pedestrian linkages". Aren't these just a sign tower and sidewalks? And the "urban" elements are just stores with apartments upstairs and surrounded by parking. Oh well... at least two of the anchors have "understory" parking... and "renovated/reconstructed stone walls." I suppose it's an improvement over Vandy's hideous strip centers fronting on West End.

ATLBrain, I see your point. I guess for me, it's exciting because compared to what's been here, especially the abandoned old Walmart shopping center, it seems like a vast improvement.

It's just been so dead, that particular section along Charlotte Avenue. I like, for instance, the idea of the amphitheater in the park ... hoping it means there'll be fun things for families to do there in the summer/fair weather times, like attend concerts and maybe watch a movie outdoors.

True, maybe the developers use whacky jargon to make what you and I might call "that sign people can see from the interstate" sound fancier or whatever I guess if I can walk on it and not worry about getting run over, they can call a sidewalk "Marvin" and it'll work for me. lol

I'm still a bit confused as to what's going where though. What's going in the old shopping center area and what's going to be at the new Nashville West site proper (for lack of a better term)? For instance ... the Costco ... is that going up in the old Walmart shopping center area? They're building something there in that lot, behind the U-Haul store. Maybe it's not big enough to be a Costco though ... never been to one, so no idea. Maybe it's one of the other stores ... Target or Dick's. I know the codes site puts street numbers, but to be honest, those don't mean much to me as far as helping me picture exact locations.

Like others, I too thought it was strange that a Target will be at this location when there's one right over on White Bridge. Of course, the White Bridge store is a SuperTarget now, and the new one at NW will be a regular Target store. I think both could do well, even within a relatively close proximity to each other. I can certainly picture myself shopping at both locations, depending on the situation.

Saw this on the metro codes web site regarding a Costco service center (gas).

<<2006-07485 102-00-0 091.00

ADDRESS: 6672 CHARLOTTE PK $414,163.00

PURPOSE: TO CONSTRUCT A FUEL CONVENIENCE CENTER FOR COSTCO MEMBERS WITH CANOPY AND UNDERGROUND FUEL STORAGE TANKS.

CONT. NAME: CHARLES & VINZANT CONSTRUCTION CO LLC >>

Do all Costcos have these? Aren't their gas prices usually good, compared to regular gas station prices? I let our Sam's Club m'ship lapse long ago ... got to where I just didn't shop there enough to make it worthwhile. But since we're so close to this new shopping center, a Costco m'ship might be worth it for the gasoline savings alone.

Back to what's going where ... it almost sounds to me like several of the stores that have been announced might be going up in the (general) area where the Walmart used to be .... Costco, Dick's, Target maybe ... Or am I totally off there? Now that I think about it, not sure just why I'm thinking this, if it's based on all my surfing around looking for info about this, or is I just got this idea in my head somehow.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! :)

• 3 months later...

The Costco appears to be open, or very close to it... the parking lot was full of cars and the lights were on. Construction on some of the other big-box stores is well underway, as is the widening/improvement of Charlotte Pike in front of the development. Signs have also appeared advertising the availability of more retail/restauraunt/office space.

Costco opened this morning. I got a pamplet in the mail yesterday with a lot of information on Nashville West. As of right now the stores already signed on are Costco, Target, Petsmart, Ross, Cost Plus World Market, Marshalls, Dicks, Old Navy, Staples, and Best Buy. It says that thats just the begining as development continues, there will be many other retailers, restaurants, shops, banks, hotel accomodations, and places work, live, or just enjoy. I think this is a great project and I'm glad its going in my neighborhood.

Costco opened this morning. I got a pamplet in the mail yesterday with a lot of information on Nashville West. As of right now the stores already signed on are Costco, Target, Petsmart, Ross, Cost Plus World Market, Marshalls, Dicks, Old Navy, Staples, and Best Buy. It says that thats just the begining as development continues, there will be many other retailers, restaurants, shops, banks, hotel accomodations, and places work, live, or just enjoy. I think this is a great project and I'm glad its going in my neighborhood.

Somewhere on Ikea's website it mentioned how they were going to be building something like 5 to 10 new stores in the US a year over a period of 5 years. I read this a few months ago. I can't seem to find it now.

If they are, then chances are likely that they will eventually build one in the Nashville area.

Okay, on the one hand, there is a retail demand in West Nashville that needs to be filled and this project can help to meet that demand. This project could also definitely be worse...although I don't really think that is the standard we should be shooting for.

Now, as for the project itself, as many might have guessed, I don't like it at all. This is just a glorified strip mall. A freakin' "Lifestyle Center" has a more "village town center" (as they called it) feel than this does. What, so putting in sidewalks and plopping a useless "park" in the middle of the parking lot that you have to drive to even from the other end of the parking lot, makes this an "urban" development? LOL! I wouldn't be irritated if the developers would just be honest and say that this was a strip mall with trees instead of trying to pretend it was some charming little urban neighborhood.

I mean, look at this plan:

SignatureRetail.jpg

Oh yeah, REALLY responsible development. haha I'm not upset at retail coming to West Nashville. I LOVE the fact that retail like this is moving closer in to the city itself. I just really think we should stop settling for stuff like this just because "it could be worse". I'm dissapointed just because I think we could do better! I mean, really, someone tell me who is going to go use those parks. Who is going to want to drive to the strip mall and sit there with a view of a bunch of parked cars?

These developers don't seem to understand that in order to be an "urban" development there is a certain FORM involved. You can't just take all or some of the elements of an urban neighborhood and plop them somewhere haphazardly and call it an urban neighborhood.

One of my urban design professors gave me the analogy one time of an urban neighborhood as a pizza, and that all the qualities of an urban neighborhood are like an ingredient. Separate they are bland and boring, but together, they make a fantastic treat. Well, this development forgot the dough, the cheese, and the sauce, and instead just threw a few pepperonis about the landscape. lol

I'm excited its going in because it will bring many stores that I normally have to drive across town to right next to my house. BnaBreaker, I dont really agree or disagree, but what do you propose would be better? I know there are probably many ideas but you also have to include that fact that developers have to make money on these projects or they wouldnt bother with it. So what do you propose would have been better and still have a great profit margin? Like I said I dont agree or disagree I'm just not very educated when it comes to urban design. Everything I know I learned it here. I mean I feel it could have definitely been worse. A traditional mall would have been terrible. Atleast they decided to create some sort of living space and green space, neither of which they really had to do.

I think some improvements based on other developments I have seen could include underground and enclosed parking as well as a more enclosed feeling to all of the development. Yes this includes some buffer between Charlotte and the retail, green space etc...but in reality, it's nothing but a median and some parking...

Yes it could be much better, but it could also be one huge run down wal-mart building

I'm excited its going in because it will bring many stores that I normally have to drive across town to right next to my house. BnaBreaker, I dont really agree or disagree, but what do you propose would be better? I know there are probably many ideas but you also have to include that fact that developers have to make money on these projects or they wouldnt bother with it. So what do you propose would have been better and still have a great profit margin? Like I said I dont agree or disagree I'm just not very educated when it comes to urban design. Everything I know I learned it here. I mean I feel it could have definitely been worse. A traditional mall would have been terrible. Atleast they decided to create some sort of living space and green space, neither of which they really had to do.

There's residential in this development!? You're kidding, right?

I really don't have a problem with this development given its location, and a Best Buy in your neighborhood is always cause for celebration. It's an improvement on the post WWII strip mall, parking oasis, in so far as it's strip mall/parking oasis v. 2.0. It's got trees, sidewalks, a meaningless park and presumably architecture that at least makes a slight gesture towards respectabililty, which is all better than no trees, no sidewalks, etc. But seriously, who in their right mind would want to live over a strip mall? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

There's residential in this development!? You're kidding, right?

I really don't have a problem with this development given its location, and a Best Buy in your neighborhood is always cause for celebration. It's an improvement on the post WWII strip mall, parking oasis, in so far as it's strip mall/parking oasis v. 2.0. It's got trees, sidewalks, a meaningless park and presumably architecture that at least makes a slight gesture towards respectabililty, which is all better than no trees, no sidewalks, etc. But seriously, who in their right mind would want to live over a strip mall? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

fwiw ... there apparently was a rumor going around about an Olive Garden being one of the restaurants that were coming to Nashville West. I went to OG's web site and sent a query several days ago.

The response I got from Olive Garden went like this:

We appreciate your desire to have an Olive Garden restaurant in your community. Thank you for the invitation. At this time, our expansion plans do not include additional locations in Nashville, TN. However, we are always looking for new sites for future expansion. Your suggestion will be shared with those responsible for site selection. In the meantime, please view our future location list on our web site at http://www.olivegarden.com/company/contact...re_Olive_Garden

If Guest Relations can be of further assistance, please write us again through olivegarden.com (www.olivegarden.com/company/contact_us/ ) or call us at 1-800-331-2729. We look forward to serving you with Hospitaliano at any of our Olive Garden restaurants.

Sherri

Olive Garden Guest Relations

Archived