West Nashville Development Question

jcoop

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this. Don't think it's been mentioned, at least not in this thread, which seems to be the thread for this topic.

http://www.nashville.gov/codes/permits/KD070209.pdf

(Building Commercial - Foundation permits re. "Cost Plus" retail store, "Lane Bryant" retail store, "Old Navy" retail store, "Justice" retail store, "Misc. Shops" retail store, "Shoe Dept" retail store.)

Had never heard of "Justice" stores ... no wonder, we had all boys. lol

Must be this: http://www.justicejustforgirls.com/

"Misc. Shops" does simply mean what it sounds like, right? (That is, miscellaneous shops, and not an actual store called "Misc. Shops.") :rolleyes:

That is exactly what this center does. The transportation in use is cars. Not peds, buses or bikes.

Why in the world would anyone want the big boxes to face the street? What is so bad about looking at cars? Everyone drives them and everyone knows it so why try to pretend that we are all walking and taking trolley's to the mall?

This development is the perfect examle of the outcome of unintentended consequences of the activist urban planning community. Look at what they have wrought.

Planners want pedestrian friendly - there's your sidewalks. Oh wait, pedestrian activity will be decreased as a result because people don't want to walk in the weather from one store to another. So they will circle the lot until they find a spot close enough, walk into the individual store, walk back to their cars, drive down to the next store, circle around until they find a spot close enough, walk into the store and repeat the pattern until they are done.

Planners don't want enclosed malls - there's your building open to the outside. Too bad much less walking and much more driving will occur as a result.

I see these projects going up all over the country. They are designed in reaction to the complaints of activist planners. Don't blame the developers for responding to the market that the political activist created. They are just giving you what you asked for. You have only yourselves to blame.

Putting the buildings on the street and parking behind would do what besides make the developer pay for one fake entry that nobody uses at the front and one main entrance at the back that everyone uses? Where would the loading docks go - between the buildings? That would space them even further apart thereby assuring shoppers would drive from one store to the other.

This center assures that there will be even less walking that at a traditional mall. Thanks planners. Now the Mall Walkers don't even have any place to go.

Why in the world would there need to be pedestrian access to the neighborhood? Is there really a great need for local residents to walk to Best Buy and carry home their new 42" LCD TVs and washing machines?

I agree that urban concepts shouldn't be put into suburban settings. So let's outlaw all the New Urbanist developments going into suburbuia all over the country and bulldose Lenox Village.

Perhaps this center will teach all the planners what the college courses seem to be failing to teach - leave the suburbs alone.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my earlier message about the response I got from someone from Olive Garden when I emailed them via their web site .... okay, so maybe I am (even at my age) naive, and yeah, I do tend to believe someone's telling me the truth especially when I feel like I'm asking people who should know. Anyway, now I'm not sure but could be I was lied to. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of restaurant openings and such to know why a company would deny they're putting one of their restaurants someplace if they indeed are. I'm hearing that Olive Garden IS coming to Nashville West. Guess I'll wait and see. Meanwhile, lesson learned -- don't trust what somebody working for a company says. I was bummed by the email I got, but now I'm actually hopeful again that an OG will be one of the new eating establishments at NW. Once it's here (assuming the rumors are indeed true!), I'll probably get bored with it in no time, lol, but I think it'll be a nice option to have nearby.

Anybody eaten at Tequila's (I think that's the name?) that's in the shopping center across from Costco (on the Annex side)? We haven't yet, but I heard that the food is really good. Just wondered if anyone on the board has been there and what your thoughts are? Thanks!

(Hope this isn't too "off topic" since it *is* really close to Nashville West. :)

From the Olive Gartden website.

Where will you be building future Olive Garden restaurants?

As of February 2007, we plan to build new restaurants in the locations listed below. Actual locations, the number of new restaurants, and opening dates are projected and are subject to change. If your city is not listed, we hope to be coming soon. Please check back in May 2007 for an updated list.

Future Locations:

Louisville (Brownsboro), KY (February 2007)

Wilmington, NC (March 2007)

St. George, UT (March 2007)

Spartanburg, SC (March 2007)

Waterbury, CT (March 2007)

Decatur, IL (March 2007)

Oxford, AL (March 2007)

Folsom, CA (April 2007)

Westridge, AZ (April 2007)

North McAllen, TX (April 2007)

Nampa, ID (April 2007)

Temecula, CA (March 2007)

Aurora, CO (May 2007)

Brighton, MI (May 2007)

Note that the list only goes through May of this year. Who knows waht plans they have for the rest of the year.

I think that both would do well. I go to the Olive Garden in Clarksville instead of the one in Madison just because the traffic is a pain. I live in Ashland City. I wish there were a couple of more locations in the Nashville area. I think there is only one Books-A-Million and tht one is in Madison as well.

About what's being built in the old Hillwood Shopping Center by the Costco: I think this quote from the Tennessean article of March 9 may answer this. Bold added for emphasis:

Phase two will include a Books-A-Million, Old Navy, Cost Plus and 120,000 square feet of specialty shops.

Construction is expected to be complete early next year.

"The Books-A-Million will feature a Jo Muggs coffee shop inside," Martin said. "Initial work has already begun on the bookstore and Old Navy."

oops, sorry ... goofed up posting the link in my 3/21 post, but basically same article smeagolsfree posted -- it's what I was quoting from.

Now that I think about it, could be the construction going on there by Costco / old Hillwood Shopping Center might be for the Firestone / Staples / Petsmart. I guess for that particular location and the sizes that are taking shape, that makes more sense.

Already got my Books-a-Million membership card. No idea when it'll be opening at Nashville West, but hey, in the meantime, I can order off the web site and take advantage of their discounts.

We're diggin' the Costco. Well at least for things we use a lot that I can buy in bulk. On the other hand, they are limited as far as brands, choices, so will certainly still be shopping quite a bit at the regular grocery stores. I have to hand it to 'em, too .. so far, they are really keeping the place super clean, restrooms included. :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone else catch the rumor that one of the restaurants at Nashville West will be a Red Robin? Just repeating what I heard. Guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about .. so fwiw, tyg. ;)

I'm already really liking Nashville West. The shopping center is already becoming a pleasant place to take a stroll as well as to shop. JMO

I just get confused when people call this area Bellevue now; used to be, far as I knew, Bellevue was farther west?? I dunno. Anyhoo ... I hope everyone's enjoying the nice weather!

This isn't directly related to Nashville West, but it's in the area, so I'll ask it here: A little further west on Charlotte than Nashville West, where Charlotte intersects Old Hickory Blvd., there's been some work going on (lot clearing and preparation) over the past few months at the long-empty corner of that intersection. It seems to be a rather large project, but there aren't any signs. Does anyone know what this is?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All -- I'm moving to N'ville very soon (thanks to spouse's new gig at Vanderbilt) and hope this first post will be followed by many more as I get to know the city. I've been lurking here for a couple of months and this forum has helped me learn about the Nashville area as much as any other source I've found. Great discussions!

As far as Nashville West is concerned....our new house is very close to this behemoth of a development and it seems it will have many of the stores we frequent here in St. Louis. My only question is whether a new grocery store is planned for it, or for any space nearby. It would be an errand/shopping coup if we could hit the Costco for the bulk stuff and then a Kroger/Harris Teeter/Publix for the other food items on the list.

Anybody have a clue?

lucegoose

I haven't heard of one going in there, but I do know there are a couple not too far down charlotte towards downtown...I know that's not what you are looking for with the one stop, but it might be a factor in the decision to locate one in that development.

I could be wrong though, I just haven't heard anything.

As far as Nashville West is concerned....our new house is very close to this behemoth of a development and it seems it will have many of the stores we frequent here in St. Louis. My only question is whether a new grocery store is planned for it, or for any space nearby. It would be an errand/shopping coup if we could hit the Costco for the bulk stuff and then a Kroger/Harris Teeter/Publix for the other food items on the list.

Archived