West Nashville Development Question

jcoop

^ Is this Nashville's first World Market? Paducah, Ky has had one for several years and I noticed a couple months back that Memphis/Bartlett had one over by Wolfchase Galleria. They are great stores and if this is the first I think folks really should check them out. Similar to a Pier One, but substantially larger with a wider selection of goods and price points.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whatever reason, Newton Oldacre hasn't updated their site in a long while, at least regarding Nashville West. Nashville West.com takes you to a very old website for the project.

I wonder why TGI Fridays hasn't really started construction. They pulled a building permit about the same time as Red Robin.

For whatever reason, Newton Oldacre hasn't updated their site in a long while, at least regarding Nashville West. Nashville West.com takes you to a very old website for the project.

I wonder why TGI Fridays hasn't really started construction. They pulled a building permit about the same time as Red Robin.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I finally got some valuable info. My cousin does a ladies hair that has worked for H.G Hills for 20 or so years and yesterday they announced that they would be closing in 2 weeks. They are going to tear it and the old advance auto parts down and build a Publix there. I'm guessing they decided to come back into the picture. And this really blew my mind, last night I was eating dinner with my wife and one of the food tenants over by big lots said that within the next three months Strike & Spare and the big lots strip is being tore down and a Home Depot is going there. I think that is awesome. One the bowling alley has been run down, nd I wont have to drive to Bellevue no more. Luckily the bowling alley and big lots have different owners than the Paradise Ridge and the Mexican restaurant strip, so they are getting to stay. What do you guys think.

OK I finally got some valuable info. My cousin does a ladies hair that has worked for H.G Hills for 20 or so years and yesterday they announced that they would be closing in 2 weeks. They are going to tear it and the old advance auto parts down and build a Publix there. I'm guessing they decided to come back into the picture. And this really blew my mind, last night I was eating dinner with my wife and one of the food tenants over by big lots said that within the next three months Strike & Spare and the big lots strip is being tore down and a Home Depot is going there. I think that is awesome. One the bowling alley has been run down, nd I wont have to drive to Bellevue no more. Luckily the bowling alley and big lots have different owners than the Paradise Ridge and the Mexican restaurant strip, so they are getting to stay. What do you guys think.

Sounds like a good development trend for that area. I used to shop at the Foodlion, HG Hills, and KMart back earlier in the decade when all three where still there, and even back then I was satisfied with all three options. These new developments though will do a lot of foster new development in West Nashville which is a great neighborhood.

It would be nice if Strike & Spare could build a new facility in the area, as bowling alleys are good entertainment for youth and families alike if they are accessible, maintained, and managed properly. I have never been to the Strike & Spare, so I am curious to how well the redeveloped and maintained the interior of the building once they took over from K-Mart back in 2003 (?).

And this really blew my mind, last night I was eating dinner with my wife and one of the food tenants over by big lots said that within the next three months Strike & Spare and the big lots strip is being tore down and a Home Depot is going there.

You Westies don't sit on your laurels with Home Depot. Make it known you don't want one of their orange and beige styrofoam boxes in your neighborhood. The new Home Depot in Inglewood is opening soon. The neighbors took a stand especially after the historic house was torn down. The new store is almost all brick, landscaped out the wazoo, has an interesting parking lot with the 18th century cabins re-placed in a prominent location, not to mention the reworking of the Briley Pky/Gallatin Road exits. Personally I'm amazed at the dozens and dozens of already 20-foot oak trees planted in the oversized buffer zones. It's quite impressive. There were lots of meetings. I suggest your association gets on it or the styrofoam will come.

Not the Strike and Spare! Bowling alleys seem to be a disappearing breed, and I believe that that's the only one this side of town. Sure, it may not be the nicest, most well-maintained place, but I'd much rather have that than another Home Depot, considering that there's a Lowe's just down the street, and a Home Depot not too far away in Bellevue.

Publix will be saturating this area of town too, with a store here, a store at the White Bridge/Harding intersection, and the existing store in Bellevue... though without the H.G. Hills, this area will have a need for a nearby grocer, so that one doesn't upset me so much.

Is anyone else disheartened at the loss of HG Hills? The day of the regional/local chain is rapidly passing from Tennessee. The Publix will no doubt be nice and add a lot of goods and services to the market, but for me such stores while nice additions never can compete with the positive and friendly feeling one got from dealing/trading with a well ran local chain. How many HG Hills are left in the city at this point I wonder, and I wonder how well they are going to fair in the years to come with the grocery market getting pressured by larger chains who can cope with rising wholesale costs?

Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the connection of West Nashville shoppers to HG Hills? Is it something that folks are going to miss, or has it day passed in the minds of locals already shifting towards the bigger grocers?

I also agree with Dave that the new developments should be if possible be encouraged to build quality facades that will enhance the overall appeal and look of the neighborhood.

Is anyone else disheartened at the loss of HG Hills? The day of the regional/local chain is rapidly passing from Tennessee. The Publix will no doubt be nice and add a lot of goods and services to the market, but for me such stores while nice additions never can compete with the positive and friendly feeling one got from dealing/trading with a well ran local chain. How many HG Hills are left in the city at this point I wonder, and I wonder how well they are going to fair in the years to come with the grocery market getting pressured by larger chains who can cope with rising wholesale costs?

Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the connection of West Nashville shoppers to HG Hills? Is it something that folks are going to miss, or has it day passed in the minds of locals already shifting towards the bigger grocers?

I also agree with Dave that the new developments should be if possible be encouraged to build quality facades that will enhance the overall appeal and look of the neighborhood.

I have not checked this out, but I suspect that HG Hill owns the entire shopping center. The have their own real estate company, so they are the developers. If the lot in question is owned by them, then there is more money in the real estate than groceries. HG Hill has been getting out of the grocery business for some time. There are no new stores being built with the excepetion of the DT Hill store and maybe a couple of others and the family owns a lot of valuable land all over MD TN. As for the shopping center, I dont see much difference between a strip center and a Home Depot.

I think home improvements may go up as a result of the housing crunch. People will be deciding to stay where they are and not sell and just renovate or add on to the home they already have. There is still a lot of equity in most places other than CA,FL, and a few of the other states that have been hit hardest. A lot of the problem with the economy is that there were a lot of folks who had no business buying a home in the first place or were lured by low interest rates and dishonest brokers.

The bowling alley will probably not be rebuilt IMO. They may try to relocate to an existing facility somewhere. Construction cost and the amount of return on that investment is probably not worth a new building. They did a huge renovation on the inside of the place a couple of years ago in order to get more people to bowl. I think it was more of a family recreation/amusement facility.

I have not checked this out, but I suspect that HG Hill owns the entire shopping center. The have their own real estate company, so they are the developers. If the lot in question is owned by them, then there is more money in the real estate than groceries. HG Hill has been getting out of the grocery business for some time. There are no new stores being built with the excepetion of the DT Hill store and maybe a couple of others and the family owns a lot of valuable land all over MD TN. As for the shopping center, I dont see much difference between a strip center and a Home Depot.

Well the only other place I coul think of is the old West Bowl area overby Goodwill and Save alot hear 54th, but all that could be changing when they start the redevelopment of Charlotte 46th-54th. And the hotel that was there has been closed for months like to said and I was looking at the site plan, http://nomllc.com/projects/nashville_west/...20for%20web.pdf , and it shows a new hotel, and two other buildings. Couple of ???????'s. 1. Does any one have an idea what hotel it will be? 2. What are the other two buildings? 3. What about a Kohl's? Victoria Secrets? I was looking at Indian Lake in Hendersonville the other day andthey have alot of store that would be nice here as well.

Seems like West Nashville's redevelopment is really becoming an overnight process, as it's going to be hard to compare the area to itself in a year or two from where it stood in 2005. It really speaks volumns about the redevelopment/development of Nashville's neighborhoods, and that this trend in not confined to downtown or upper-scale areas of the city.

H.G. Hill Realty owns the property where the food store is located off of Charlotte. I believe that they were considering a redevelopment of their existing property for some time when Nashville West was/is still under development, which would explain Advance Auto Parts' decision to relocate a couple of years back.

Developments like these tend to take up space formerly occupied by a big-box retailer. Unfortunately, no space is available within the vicinity of the West Nashville area that they could possibly move to, so we may be saying goodbye to it altogether. I've only been there one time, and needless to say, I would hate to see it go.

I've actually noticed that the property where the former Howard Johnson hotel was located has been blocked off, and I believe that demolition of that property may be underway soon, if not already. That should serve as a sign of all the pieces falling in together in the overall transformation of Charlotte Pike.

There was an article in the Tennessean abotu the HG Hill closing. Here you go.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D0601/803210440

I think there will be a lot more development in this area as it is close to the core. I look for other areas of town that are close in to be revitalized in the near future with the price of gas rising. People want to be close in instead of way out not. The pendulum swings back and forth. We are just in another cycle.

^I found it interesting one of the articles comments stated all the HG Hills should be closed because they are over-priced and offer poor produce and meat. I never understood why folks would want a company to go out of business simply because they personally don't like their business model or product/service offerings, clearly enough people do to keep the chain a float in a very competative grocery market. I never had issues with their pricings or offerings (maybe I have low expectations from living in rural areas? LOL), as both seemed in line with other similarly sized chains and stores, which is to say they aren't meant to compete with the larger Krogers in the city or newer entries into the market like Publix.

Publix, if it does come to that location, will certianly offer an net benefit to West Nashville with its wider variety of goods and overall higher quality of product lines and services. I think most folks are happy to see progress without wishing ill on what came before it. I hope so at least.

Archived