Forbes "best cities for singles" survey out again

TheGerbil

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/3/06singl...ngles_land.html

I think that's about where we placed last year. I still don't trust this data one bit, especially the very unscientific category called "Coolness."

But as always, I know there are plenty of people out there who take these rankings seriously. So I am glad we're staying out of last place, but also dissapointed that we didn't move up some. I'd like to see us creeping up a little each year.

Anybody else have thought about this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having experienced Cincy's nightlife... I quite like it... a lot of it is over in Covington, KY... which goes crazy... maybe it's not Miami/Vegas nightlife... but I prefer a more real experience over that nonsense

still... I don't think Cincy competes with Pittsburgh when it comes to nightlife... yet PGH was like 30th or so in that category... if you investigate their methodology, you'll see how truly ridiculous this ranking is.

Here's an interesting tidbit from Pittsblog http://pittsblog.blogspot.com/

"You know what is curious. I would think an important metric for singles would be the proportion of other singles out there. As always you need to look at Pittsburgh the right way. If one were to look beyond just how old we are, which tends to make Pittsburgh look like we are a very 'married' region.. among young people we actually are a relatively uncoupled place. By that I mean a relatively high percentage of young people here are yet to be married. By my estimation, in Pittsburgh among those age 21-39 the percentage of people who have never been married is 39%, which is a higher proportion than the majority of those 40 regions in the Forbes list."

I'm really suprised that was not factored into the ranking.

Here's an interesting tidbit from Pittsblog http://pittsblog.blogspot.com/

"You know what is curious. I would think an important metric for singles would be the proportion of other singles out there. As always you need to look at Pittsburgh the right way. If one were to look beyond just how old we are, which tends to make Pittsburgh look like we are a very 'married' region.. among young people we actually are a relatively uncoupled place. By that I mean a relatively high percentage of young people here are yet to be married. By my estimation, in Pittsburgh among those age 21-39 the percentage of people who have never been married is 39%, which is a higher proportion than the majority of those 40 regions in the Forbes list."

I'm really suprised that was not factored into the ranking.

I'm not at all surprised. This list is truly silly. They feel that "% on Match.com" is a valid factor?!?! :rofl:

I think at best the rankings are completely useless, at worst - extremely misleading.

Archived