RUMOR: New Financial District Tower?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few evenings ago I was questioning my source about another issue. I was asking how they could be so sure that X,Y or Z would not happen when they finally gave in and said that something else was going to be built in that area and that there would be an announcement soon. I finally got them down to within 3 months. I could not get any further details. The source appears reliable and has first hand knowledge.

what is the X, Y, Z that wont be happening?

unless it is mixed use, I dont see it happening for this "rumor" but maybe in a couple of years if the bank moves up in ranking and acquires some more. We cant have E@B and Gtech with no tenants signed on with only gtech in its own and BCBSRI in its own buildings.. at least thats how I've understood it from this forum.

The tower could be retail on floor 1, parking floors 2-10 for 800 spaces?, an upscale hotel on floors 11-20, floors 20-30 can be condos (moderately priced), floor 26 can be a gym/spa for residents and workers, floor 31-55 can be offices/office suites, floor 35 can be the kitchen/lounge area, floors 56-57 can be penthouses maybe, floor 58 can be an observation deck, and floor 59 can be a revolving restaurant!!!!

last but not least... a spiraling spire like 110 was supposed to have. Think of those straws that have spirals at the top... something like that, and lit green to represent Citizens!!

total feet would be around 800 feet? tee hee :)

newaerialau6.jpg

I want the citizens building or this "rumor" to be built on one of these two lots at 500+ feet roof height.

BTW the spire I talk of would be lit with a color similar to my scribbled green color

It would be great for the Financial District, but would another 110-sized tower in the FD reinforce it as the center of the city? Would this necessarily be bad? I've seen people (rightfully) argue that a new cluster of buildings popping up over by LaSalle Sq will extend people's ideas of what the "city" is. Would further making the FD the obvious "center" of Providence be detrimental to that progress?

Having said all that... I'd rather see another 110 type tower go up in the FD than see the Empire tower go up...

It would be great for the Financial District, but would another 110-sized tower in the FD reinforce it as the center of the city? Would this necessarily be bad? I've seen people (rightfully) argue that a new cluster of buildings popping up over by LaSalle Sq will extend people's ideas of what the "city" is. Would further making the FD the obvious "center" of Providence be detrimental to that progress?

Having said all that... I'd rather see another 110 type tower go up in the FD than see the Empire tower go up...

look at boston... need i say more? the financial district has lots of tall buildings there. but the central buildings of the city (hancock and the prudential) are off on their own. i also think we have a better skyline than boston because our buildings have more character in my opinion. i also think having the 2 tallest buildings that far from the rest of the tall buildings and basically popping up from nothing looks silly.

i don't think it would be detrimental... more tall buildings should be built all over the downcity area. i think those green spots woudl be the perfect place for another tall building.

Turks Head will make a fantastic hotel. How prominent would that be, and bring a little more night/weekend activity to the intersection.

The last thing we need is another hotel ....I agree with the over-saturation condo/hotel saga. Let's see what type of conventions we can generate and let the free market dictate what we can support.

Turks Head will make a fantastic hotel. How prominent would that be, and bring a little more night/weekend activity to the intersection.

I'm suspecting that (St Francis?) building on Weybosset near the Arcade Garage over anything else. Why would Turk's Dead go hotel?

The last thing we need is another hotel ....I agree with the over-saturation condo/hotel saga. Let's see what type of conventions we can generate and let the free market dictate what we can support.

The current hotel projects and proposals are the free market. The only one that's not is the additional rooms at the Westin, but it's not publicly funded and I doubt the state would have got 10 proposals to buy the Westin and add rooms if the free market didn't think it could support it.

I'm not saying we're not reaching saturation, but there's nothing getting in the way of the market operating itself.

PS: east of Dorrance.

I'm suspecting that (St Francis?) building on Weybosset near the Arcade Garage over anything else. Why would Turk's Dead go hotel?

I'm not sure the hotel would go there, but the St. Francis order is definitely clearing out soon for something. Anyone know what?

That whole section of Weybosset pre 110 is just dead, dead, dead, with a moon-like road surface as the cherry on top. Considering it's possibly the most architecturally character-filled part of downtown, I'd love to see it come back, and I'm sure the 110 folks will do what they can.

The other thing needed for that area is to get the Arcade Parking garage (which could serve that area beautifully) to have much longer hours (it's closed much the weekend and, I think, after six during the week) and get them to lower their prices (which I think start at like 10 dollars just to drive in...).

- Garris

i would hope for those lots closest to the river... like the ones near textron. although any real height would look good in those weybosset lots.

I would hope for anything BUT that, for the sake of the customhouse, and the view of the historic district from the waterfront, not to mention the potential for the development OF the waterfront on that side of the river as park space, which is badly needed there.

My heart can't take this...

I couldn't agree with you more.

I would hope for anything BUT that, for the sake of the customhouse, and the view of the historic district from the waterfront, not to mention the potential for the development OF the waterfront on that side of the river as park space, which is badly needed there.

there's already a nice park 2 blocks away with burnside park. on the other side of the river is the river walk. why do we need a park on the river in the financial district and why do people from those buildings need a view of the east side? they're business buildings. i'm not saying put this on the east side of the river, this would take the parking lots on the west side of the river next to the textron building and develop those. they shoudln't be there to begin with.

Yes, there's parks on the river from the Crawford Bridge south, and that is set to expand with the 195 relocation, there's also a large park at Memorial Square, and indeed there's also Burnside. The parking lots between Memorial Blvd. and Weybosset Street can and should be developed.

PS: east of Dorrance.

The parking lot abeam the Crawford St. bridge (bound by Custom House, Delta and Memorial) looks like a good candidate to me!

If we're talking JUST east of Dorrance - maybe one of the lots near Frindship, Orange, Dyer, and Peck???

While being more or less a beggar - I can't be a chooser - so if it's a(nother) hotel, so be it - still hoping for commercial or a corporaation moving to RI...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pvd&t=h&...009216&om=1

hotel rooms are the infrastructure larger conventions depends upon, no rooms, no large conventions, generally speaking... "lets see.... what we can support" ???? what do you care if a hyatt in downtown providence fails. do you have stake in it? you really dont have much to complain about with a hotel in "DOWNTOWN PROVIDENCE" hard to argue with the zoning on that one so if someone wants to build one and they get design clearance in a historic area and take the monetary risk you pretty much have to let them...

AZ and RI had the highest growth rates in real estate appreciation over the past year or so

Archived