RUMOR: New Financial District Tower?

This project has me thinking, dreaming, wondering and speculating as to what to expect. I'm thinking of three towers anchored by a massive parking structure. But where downcity is there enough land to build this monstrosity? :huh:

Outside of the river area that will be cleared with the removal of 195, the only other place I can think would be the sea of parking along Snow Street. But I doubt that's possible.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first I thought this might be the Dynamo project, but the numbers are all wrong. I wish I knew a way to translate these numbers into stories/height.

Wouldn't that be ALCO? did we forget about it already?

DO NOT TRUST the location of the pointer on bidclerk. If you are a full member, it resolves the address and puts you in the right location. If you are not a full member, it does a generic Providence placement.

edit: Definitely ALCO, all of the numbers match.

I wonder if this is the rumor

http://www.bidclerk.com/projects/projectDe...rojectID=272601

This is a massive project :w00t:

Working plans call for the construction of a 2.3 million-square-foot mixed-use development that will contain 348,000 square feet of office space, 93,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space and 657 residential units. Plans also call for an 87,000-square-foot hotel and 3,300 parking spaces.

HOLY CRAP - think about that; 657 residential units, 3300 parking spaces, etc. - That is absolutely HUGE. I know the famous bidcleark arrows are never pin-point, but it's in KP this time. Maybe this could fit on the site north of Citizens/west of the train station or perhaps the several blocks of parking lots between Dorrance and Dyer???

We should all pitch in for a bid-clerk membership so we can the skinny on these projects...

EDIT: just read the latest couple of posts while I was typing - yea right - ALCO (forgot about that). Exciting thats it's moving along so quick nonetheless.

Construction/Improvements.

It's the same building CVS is in on Westminster Street. They seem to be finally working on the upper floors.

By the way, you're not a dummy. :)

Thanks - I'm amazed as to the knowledge you all have regarding architecture, building and such. I'm just a huge Providence (and RI in general for that matter) promoter and love to see the economic and cultural center that the city is grow and prosper. Someday I'll convince the wife (after we shove, I mean send the kids off to college) we need to get into one of those condo towers in downtonw...

HOLY CRAP - think about that; 657 residential units, 3300 parking spaces, etc. - That is absolutely HUGE. I know the famous bidcleark arrows are never pin-point, but it's in KP this time. Maybe this could fit on the site north of Citizens/west of the train station or perhaps the several blocks of parking lots between Dorrance and Dyer???

We should all pitch in for a bid-clerk membership so we can the skinny on these projects...

EDIT: just read the latest couple of posts while I was typing - yea right - ALCO (forgot about that). Exciting thats it's moving along so quick nonetheless.

so if alco is this huge... i would assume there's a good chance that not all those residential units will be "luxury" units?

so if alco is this huge... i would assume there's a good chance that not all those residential units will be "luxury" units?

"Struever has pledged to put 2 percent of its construction costs toward affordable housing, small-business development, local schools and supporting local artists. "

It's a $333 million project - so that's 6.66 million towrds those things he lists. Not sure how many units of the 657 would end up being 'affordable' though.

Besides, wouldn't you agree that it's great that we can have this type of discussion rather than one where nothing was happening in the city at all?

Yeah, I do agree with that. And If you'd read what I wrote carefully, you'd notice that I hadn't said that all those buildings were ugly - just the most recent ones. I think we all reserve the right to disagree with some things.

Yeah, I do agree with that. And If you'd read what I wrote carefully, you'd notice that I hadn't said that all those buildings were ugly - just the most recent ones. I think we all reserve the right to disagree with some things.

I did read your post carefully and I was using those examples specifically because you already mention them. I haven't misunderstood or misread one thing you've ever post. Really. I know we reserve the right to disagree. :)

Outside of the river area that will be cleared with the removal of 195, the only other place I can think would be the sea of parking along Snow Street. But I doubt that's possible.

It's certainly an interesting proposition. Personally, I'd love to see the Snow/Aborn street lots filled, although it makes me a tad concerned about the Columbia Building if those are indeed the lots they're planning on using. Establishment aside, it's a really great building.

171e50a1.jpg

My only other concern is how this project would connect its buildings if it uses a number of different lots that aren't otherwise connected. There was a post on another thread about sky bridges, and how the overuse of them acts to drain street life in the area they're placed in, but since this place is pedestrian oriented I'd think someone would have thought of that already.

Just put image tags around the image URL:

[img=http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g262/pseudowork/Providence/171e50a1.jpg]

Make sure the ending tag is a closing tag /.

Photobucket actually makes the formatted url for you with the image tags on it, you just need to copy and paste it (I think you need to chose that as an option though).

Personally, I'd love to see the Snow/Aborn street lots filled, although it makes me a tad concerned about the Columbia Building if those are indeed the lots they're planning on using. Establishment aside, it's a really great building.

I think you'd find a lot of support amongst the people here for saving that block. It's also good since it has so much space beside it to develop (on the Westminster side) that a tower or midrise could be built. The Washington side is one of the more appriopriate spots in the city for building something faux historic to make that building whole again.

And I have no problem with the establishment currently housed within that buidling.

what is people's bank? is that the same people's bank of CT or something else?

I believe there's an old Bank of America branch on Weybosset that has nothing to do with the BOA that bought out Fleet, just a coincidence... certain names are jsut very popular.

It's certainly an interesting proposition. Personally, I'd love to see the Snow/Aborn street lots filled, although it makes me a tad concerned about the Columbia Building if those are indeed the lots they're planning on using. Establishment aside, it's a really great building.

171e50a1.jpg

My only other concern is how this project would connect its buildings if it uses a number of different lots that aren't otherwise connected. There was a post on another thread about sky bridges, and how the overuse of them acts to drain street life in the area they're placed in, but since this place is pedestrian oriented I'd think someone would have thought of that already.

The good news for this building is that it was just bought by the owners of the Alley Cat from that dreadfully neglectful owner and they have plans to refurbish the building. If you notice, many of the broken windows in the back are being removed. I'm sure it will be a slow process (they're not millionaires), but it's in much better hands now.

Establishment aside? I certainly hope you don't think badly of it because it's a gay bar. It's not what is used to be and the current owners have done a lot of work cleaning it up and upgrading the clientele. I will say that if you are speaking with your lifelong Rhode Islander hat on and you had been in it before the new owners took over, I can understand from where your coming.

The good news for this building is that it was just bought by the owners of the Alley Cat from that dreadfully neglectful owner and they have plans to refurbish the building. If you notice, many of the broken windows in the back are being removed. I'm sure it will be a slow process (they're not millionaires), but it's in much better hands now.

Establishment aside? I certainly hope you don't think badly of it because it's a gay bar. It's not what is used to be and the current owners have done a lot of work cleaning it up and upgrading the clientele. I will say that if you are speaking with your lifelong Rhode Islander hat on and you had been in it before the new owners took over, I can understand from where your coming.

NO, no. Not at all. I am gay, I actually think alleycat is the best gay bar we have. I just don't really know what the exact intention is with Washington Street/Downcity in general, so I don't know what people think of the bar. I was just saying that regardless of whatever type of business is in the building, it's gorgeous and unique, and there's a lot of potential for that block. I believe those lots also connect to what used to be the auditorium of the Rialto Theater on Matthewson street, the facade of which is still used as storefronts.

fb19987e.jpg

It doesn't show very well in the photograph, but in person you can still see the shadow of the lettering spelling out "Rialto Theatre" on the arch at top center. I always wondered what would become of this one when the lot in back got reused.

Thanks for the code, Cotuit.

Love those photos of the Columbia Building, particularly the middle one. What great colors!

Thanks! I always got a kick out of that building for just that reason - the rich colors and the marks left by the various owners of the building over time. Great news to hear that the bar owners bought it, I didn't know that.

what exactly is "bidclerk"? i mean, ALCO's first two phases has zero residential components so why would they be putting that out to bid now ?

• 2 months later...

Archived