Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voyager12

Scenic road designations

8 posts in this topic

I am not familiar with much of suburban Charlotte but I was wondering if there have ever been efforts to preserve scenic roads north or south of town. There are some very pastoral stretches of road in the Lake Norman area and south of Charlotte around Wahaw/Weddington etc. Getting a designation takes a long,tiring, concerted effort by area residents but the preserved trees and low density regulations make it worth it. Any roads worth mentioning?

Well, not suburban, but I would love to see Queens Rd. between Proivdence Rd. and Queens Univ. designated with some sort of national historic designation that would also apply to the properties fronting that stretch.

It was the showcase road for a nationally renowned land planner's signature work at the time. It has several houses that were designed by famous architects of the time, and several houses that were considered the best examples of a particular style in the city. The houses were also home to some of Charlotte's most famous residents of the early 1900's.

It also, contained a streetcar line, has a statue of a man (who has a quirky place in Charlotte's history), and is bookend by two churches that happen to be among the old surviving structures in the city.

^That was John Nolen of Boston. Several roads in the Eastover neighborhood are beautiful as well. I can't think of any suburban stretches that really blew me away...

I had never driven down Providence all the way to Marvin before a few weeks ago. There are some very pretty stretches with horse farms that would be nice to keep scenic. But I also noticed several signs for upcoming large subdivisions. Which would make it difficult to make a case if the area is changing so rapidly.

I believe that there is a designated scenic road around Crowders Mountain.

Last Month, for the first time ever I drove from Monroe to Waxhaw on Hwy 75 through mineral springs. It was cool to see

Does that mean these roads could never be widened? If so, I would be totally against such a bad idea.

Usually regulations would prohibit widenings. In most cases however there would not be a pressing need to enlarge the road. Because the development occuring alongside would be naturally low density.