New England's Biggest Cities

Carter711

Rank the 10 largest cities in New England (population of just the city, not metro area) But please don't grab an Almanac or look it up online. Just guess from what you already think. Don't expect to get them all or even any of them right. Also guess the pop. of each city please.

For example...

1. Boston, MA... 1,230,000

2. New Bedford, MA... 563,000

3. Burlington, VT... 495,000

4. .....

You get the picture.

In a few days I'll post the most recent Census estimates, I think it might be interesting to see how close our perceptions are to reality.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

boston ~589k

providence ~176k

worcester ?

bridgeport ?

new haven ~124k

hartford ~124k

new haven is larger than hartford, i know that much, but i know they're close.

It's not larger. Hartford is the second largest city in CT.

I did just check the estimates, the 2005 estimate puts them ahead by a few hundred.

It's not larger. Hartford is the second largest city in CT.

according to the US census estimates from 2003, hartford has 124,387 and new haven has 124,512. the census doesn't seem to have 2005 estimates, but i found these...

http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/hartford.pdf

http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/newhaven.pdf

those have hartford at ~124,600 and new haven at ~130k

wait... found the census estimates for 2005...

got these from the population finder at census.gov

new haven - 124,791

hartford - 124,397

according to the US census estimates from 2003, hartford has 124,387 and new haven has 124,512. the census doesn't seem to have 2005 estimates, but i found these...

http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/hartford.pdf

http://products.cerc.com/pdf/tp/newhaven.pdf

those have hartford at ~124,600 and new haven at ~130k

wait... found the census estimates for 2005...

got these from the population finder at census.gov

new haven - 124,791

hartford - 124,397

If this is the most recent estimate then, Worcester is slightly ahead of Providence. So change mine around and leave the rest.

If this is the most recent estimate then, Worcester is slightly ahead of Providence. So change mine around and leave the rest.

Wow, so I guess Mighty Worchester is New Englands number 2 city. That's funny it's the one nobody outside of New England has ever heard of and/or can't spell or pronounce....

from that population finder...

providence - 176,862

worcester - 175,898

close, but no cigar...

I read somewhere that they had eclipsed Providence. Worcester was one of the biggest growth spots in all of NE. Every other NE city lost population.

I read somewhere that they had eclipsed Providence. Worcester was one of the biggest growth spots in all of NE. Every other NE city lost population.

no idea... that's the 2005 estimate from the census... it's possible it's wrong, but i really don't know...

According to the US Census website, Providence is still ahead of Worcester as of the 2005 estimates:

Providence: 176,862

Worcester: 175,898

Providence officially passed Worcester as of the 2000 census, but as you can see we are very close, and seeing as we are 5 years out from the official count, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually ordered differently, though Providence seems to have been growing faster since at least 1990. And the Providence estimate for 2005 is actually down about 2,000 from the 2004 estimate.

According to the US Census website, Providence is still ahead of Worcester as of the 2005 estimates:

Providence: 176,862

Worcester: 175,898

Providence officially passed Worcester as of the 2000 census, but as you can see we are very close, and seeing as we are 5 years out from the official count, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually ordered differently, though Providence seems to have been growing faster since at least 1990. And the Providence estimate for 2005 is actually down about 2,000 from the 2004 estimate.

I don't remember the article I read, but it said Worcester was #1 with just over 4% population growth in the last year.They have also expanded service to Boston and are experiencing a commuter boom as of late.

I don't remember the article I read, but it said Worcester was #1 with just over 4% population growth in the last year.They have also expanded service to Boston and are experiencing a commuter boom as of late.

i wouldn't be surprised if the new expanded providence service to boston increases the providence population over the next year or so...

Don't know where you read that, but according to the census bureau, as of July 2005 (and every year since 2000) Providence has a slight lead on Worcester. Though Worcester did grow slightly between '04 and '05 while Providence contracted slightly. But as I said, these are all estimates, and we are 5 years out from the base upon which those estimates are based, Providence and Worcester are basically tied.

I don't know about the commuter expansion either, I know the Worcester Mayor wants more commuter rail service, but as of yet he hasn't got it. Maybe it was an older article. Providence know has more service than Worcester thanks to last weeks service expansion.

What about the same thing for metro's?

Boston - 5m or so

Hartford - 1.2m or so

Providence - 800k or so

Worcester

New Haven

Bridgeport

New Bedford-Falls River

Springfield

Manchester

Stamford-Greenwich

Portland

Metros can be tricky to measure. Everyone seems to have different ways of calculating them. Is Southern NH and Northern RI part of the Boston metro? Is Nashua part of the Boston metro or the Manchester metro? At least by focusing on city limits, there's no disagreement in how to measure them.

The 2005 Census estimate is listed first, followed by the 2000 Census pop., and finally the 1990 Census pop.

1.) Boston, MA 559,034 589,141 574,283

2.) Providence, RI 176,862 173,618 160,728

3.) Worcester, MA 175,898 172,648 169,759

4.) Springfield, MA 151,732 152,082 156,983

5.) Bridgeport, CT 139,008 139,529 141,686

6.) New Haven, CT 124,791 123,626 130,475

7.) Hartford, CT 124,397 121,578 139,739

8.) Stamford, CT 120,045 117,083 108,056

9.) Manchester, NH 109,691 107,006 99,567

10.) Waterbury, CT 107,902 107,271 108,961

Population Change 1990

The top ten are pretty easy to determine, where I get lost is all the places hovering around 100,000. Cambridge, Lowell, New Bedford, Fall River, Waterbury, Manchester, etc., I never know which is more. I know NB and FR are in the 90,000's, but other than that I'm always lost.

Boston 583k

Providence 175k

Worcester 150k

Springfield 145k

Bridgeport 139k

Hartford 125k

New Haven 124k

Stamford 121k

New Bedford 110k

Waterbury 108k

Stamford is creeping up closely to Hartford and New Haven.

• 3 months later...

Menino was right: Census estimate wrong, Hub gained population

By Michael Levenson and Yvonne Abraham, Globe Staff

The Census Bureau, after being challenged by Boston officials, acknowledged today that it had underestimated Boston's population and released a new tally that shows the city gained residents in the first half of the decade.

The bureau had earlier estimated Boston had lost some 30,000 residents between 2000 and 2005. But the new tally showed Boston gained about 7,500 residents during that period, increasing its population to an estimated 596,638.

The newly defined metro for Boston merges it with Providence giving it a metro pop of about 7.5M.

Here's the link:

http://www.census.gov/population/www...ges_final.html

Table 6 shows the estimates for CSAs.

Archived