urban scooter people

jencoleslaw

I have the greatest scooter from JavaSpeed but i've been a little anxious about riding it anywhere more than around the block after being hit by a car a year and a half ago (as a pedestrian). I need to get a good helmet and jacket and actually register this thing, but i'd be very interested in hooking up with some other scooter people who won't make fun of me for being a big chicken and perhaps give me some riding tips and a little courage... and someone who knows where to get a helmet where i won't be tormented by slippery dudes on racing bikes or harleys...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the greatest scooter from JavaSpeed but i've been a little anxious about riding it anywhere more than around the block after being hit by a car a year and a half ago (as a pedestrian). I need to get a good helmet and jacket and actually register this thing, but i'd be very interested in hooking up with some other scooter people who won't make fun of me for being a big chicken and perhaps give me some riding tips and a little courage... and someone who knows where to get a helmet where i won't be tormented by slippery dudes on racing bikes or harleys...

I'm thinking about buying a scooter myself ...I'm really not sure why I'm fascinated by them. Many years ago I owned a Spree ( if anybody remembers those things in the 80's) The ability to get around much more efficiently is certainly a draw....the feeling of open air...etc. I'm more worried @ people hitting my car( as has happened quite a few times)than somebody hitting me on a scooter. Can't help you on the riding tips for now...but Providence Bicycle @ 725 Branch Avenue has helmets ....

I suggest you get your motorcycle license. I know, it is not needed and it seems like a hassle, but the requirements are fairly minimal.

If I remember (it

• 3 weeks later...

it is a motor vehicle and i think needs an actual helmet, which is much different from a bike helmet.

We saw the gathering of scooter riders on Thayer when we were there last month!

I don't know what the RI laws say, but a motorcycle helmet is definitely a good idea -- a scooter goes pretty fast, and although I'm not sure how fast an impact a bicycle helmet can handle, it's probably not going to be as good if you hit something hard at, say, 40mph!

You can get a pretty good motorcycle helmet for ~$150. A little spendy, but how much is your brain worth? :shades:

I get a lot of stuff from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse -- here's a sample page of helmets:

http://www.mawonline.com/agv.htm#Helmets%20full%20face

The important thing, though, is that it has to fit right. That's why, although you can save money by buying on-line, it's better to go to a motorcycle dealer and try a few on. The helmet should wiggle a bit, but not very much (assuming it's a full-face helmet).

The other thing is that you also need a jacket and gloves -- ask Meg, who crashed on one of our trips, but got right back up and kept riding, because she had good protective gear:

http://www.kafalas.com/lblbrp.htm -- scroll down to "Fall... In... To... The... Gap"

Urb

a few weekends ago the old man and i went to Gerry's in Tiverton and i got a helmet (which, as luck would have it was a good price because i have a little head for someone with such a big mouth and they found that a Youth XL helmet was a better fit than a small adult), a non leather jacket (one of those perf fabric ones, with a zip in/out liner, and protective hardware on the elbows etc., my one beef with it is that it has a little rose embroidered on it. I told the guy that was comin' right off) and a pair of protective gloves. Now i just need to take the time off to register this thing and get a kicky silk scarf.

and the RI law is that passengers have to wear helmets but not drivers.

a non leather jacket (one of those perf fabric ones, with a zip in/out liner, and protective hardware on the elbows etc., my one beef with it is that it has a little rose embroidered on it. I told the guy that was comin' right off)

My Honda Shadow had roses painted on it. Oh yes, they were rubbed out as soon as I found an appropriate dermabrasion kit. It was embarrassing :rolleyes:

Now I have the most perfect city bike, a Ninja 250, but it needs saddle bags. If we go for a group ride, I kinda look like a refugee from the Pony Club, until I grease 'em in the turns. Anyhoo, I cannot recommed the m/c classes enough. Riding is counter intuitive and really, all about confidence.

Have fun with it.

Meg

Ninja 250! What a great bike! I used to ride one but now I have a leetle scooter. My male friends with the giant motorcycles used to love to borrow the Ninja because it's so zippy and maneuverable. My only problem with it was that it felt a bit unstable at highway speeds but now that I live in a decidedly more urban area I find the scooter pretty darn fun and satisfies my urge to ride.

Cars never seem to go more than 30 mph on the streets I travel so it's ok that I can't go much faster than that! I can still outrace cars when the light turns green.

And absolutely, the classes and good protective gear are definitely worth it - the class I took to get my license was just as helpful in learning to spot and deal with the various morons and other unsafe driving conditions out there as it was to learn to ride, very confidence building.

Does anyone personally know the people who own JavaSpeed? I'd love to get them to open a little annex downtown...makes so much sense!

I think someone connected to JavaSpeed (maybe one of the owners) is a RISD alum. Perhaps they could have some sort of RISD integration Downcity.

My only problem with it was that it felt a bit unstable at highway speeds but now that I live in a decidedly more urban area I find the scooter pretty darn fun and satisfies my urge to ride.

Quite. One has to be...ah...mindful on good ol' I-40. I'd love to get it down to VA and zip around there. Soon.

Meg

Archived