Ridgeville Development

SimCity

It seems that a developer has proposed to build upwards of 2,500 new homes and a commercial area outside of Ridgeville at the I-26 and highways 78 & 27. The Nimbys and the Dorchester County Planning Commision are actively working against such a possibility. Residents of this area should not be surprised at this when one considers the growth occuring a few miles down I-26 at the Jedburg exit. It was only a matter of time.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that a developer has proposed to build upwards of 2,500 new homes and a commercial area outside of Ridgeville at the I-26 and highways 78 & 27. The Nimbys and the Dorchester County Planning Commision are actively working against such a possibility. Residents of this area should not be surprised at this when one considers the growth occuring a few miles down I-26 at the Jedburg exit. It was only a matter of time.

It looks like South Carolina is about to follow in North Carolina's footsteps with obscene sprawl and overdevelopment of the inner coastal areas. The Raleigh News and Observer the other week had a huge article about how so much of their fish and waterways are too polluted to fish because of the runoff from the inland coastal areas. This is too bad.

I am wondering when SC's cities and more importantly COUNTIES will really step up to the plate and practice what they preach. We talk so much about sprawl here in this state, and how much it will destroy our cities, and every county has acknowledged that problem. The real problem is that the counties in which the sprawl is occuring dont care.

Kershaw, Richland, Lexington, Berkeley, Dorchester, Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg, Horry, Beaufort, York

All of these are culprits here. Not that Charleston should be let off the hook, but they seem to have made at lease some effort regarding the conrol of sprawl, regardless of whether or not they are living up to it.

This development is out in one of those counties that doesn't do anything about it. This is why regional coopoeration is vital. The region has to come together and agree where the city should grow and how they want it to look. You hear people complain all the time about how this new development is going to destroy their way of life, but then it happens anyway (Johns Island, perhaps?).

I am wondering when SC's cities and more importantly COUNTIES will really step up to the plate and practice what they preach. We talk so much about sprawl here in this state, and how much it will destroy our cities, and every county has acknowledged that problem. The real problem is that the counties in which the sprawl is occuring dont care.

Kershaw, Richland, Lexington, Berkeley, Dorchester, Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg, Horry, Beaufort, York

All of these are culprits here. Not that Charleston should be let off the hook, but they seem to have made at lease some effort regarding the conrol of sprawl, regardless of whether or not they are living up to it.

This development is out in one of those counties that doesn't do anything about it. This is why regional coopoeration is vital. The region has to come together and agree where the city should grow and how they want it to look. You hear people complain all the time about how this new development is going to destroy their way of life, but then it happens anyway (Johns Island, perhaps?).

In the end it looks like it comes down to economic development and increasing the local and county tax base which take prominence over any environmental considerations that is paid lip service. I'm visiting north suburban Atlanta right now and the amount of growth and sprawl here is unbelievable. Developers are putting McMansions, office parks, and shopping on every piece of land avaliable, even narrow two lane roads here are crowded with thousands of housing units. I hope that our urban areas never reach this extreme point where everthing is being clear cut and former fields and forests grow nothing but homes.

That's why I had to start the thread about us saying we don't want to become another Atlanta, but not really doing anything to ensure that that doesn't happen. It would really be shame for us to have all of these models around us that show us how NOT to grow, and then when our boom comes to follow in the same footsteps as those cities. It's sad, and I see it happening.

Personally, I think it is up to the mayor of the principal city in these metros and the government of the core county to take the lead in advancing a regional vision. I know Portland is a different beast than the typical Sunbelt city, but how did they get it done?

Archived