Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cityboi

old firehouses still standing in Greensboro

5 posts in this topic

Here are some photos of old historic fire houses I found on the net.. Amazingly they still stand today. All have a different architectural stlye.

The Old Central Fire Station on Greene Street

greensboro-old-sta1.jpg

greensboro-2.jpg

318 N. Greene Street

Built 1926 / Closed 1980

Presently part of a hotel complex

Originally home to four fire companies, downtown's Central Fire Station opened on May 15, 1926. The two-story structure replaced the original Central Station at 108 West Gaston Street.

The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I love how the modern Marriott Hotel surrounds the station.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Station Number 4 (located on the southend of downtown in Southside)

greensboro-old-sta4.jpg

greensboro-5.jpg

greensboro-6.jpg

Old Station 4

414 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Built 1904-05,/ Closed 1960

Presently community development center

Between 1904 and 1905, the volunteer Southside Hose Company relocated to 414 Asheboro Street, now named Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The building that became Greensboro Fire Station 4 originally housed a horse-drawn hose wagon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Station 5 (located in the historic College Hill neighborhood on the western edge of downtown)

greensboro-old-sta5.jpg

Old Station 5

549 South Mendenhall Street

Built circa 1897 / Closed 1919

Presently grocery store

Greensboro's volunteer West End Hose Company originally occupied 547 South Mendenhall Street, now numbered 549 South Mendenhall. The 2,670 square-foot two-story station originally housed a horse-drawn hose wagon.

Located in College Hill, the historic engine house presently serves as a grocery store.

the second Station 5

greensboro-old-sta5-2.jpg

Old Station 5

442 South Mendenhall Street

Built 1919 / Closed 1964

Presently residence

In 1919, Greensboro Fire Station 5 was relocated one block north to a smaller, single-story station at 442 South Mendenhall Street.

The 2,941 square-foot, bungalow-style building first housed a motorized engine built by the White Truck Company.

In 1964, Engine 5 relocated to 1618 West Friendly Avenue. The old station presently serves as a residence.

Old Station number 8

greensboro-old-sta8.jpg

Old Station 8

1735 West Lee Street

Built 1925-26 / Closed 1970

Presently empty

Also known as the West Lee Street Station, Greensboro Fire Station 8 first housed a refurbished 1915 American LaFrance pumper.

In 1970, the single-story station was closed and Engine 8 was relocated to its new quarters at 2201 Chapman Street, later renamed Coliseum Boulevard.

The 3,282 square-foot, single-bay building is presently empty

Neat pics! I have always been fascinated with old firehouses and firefighting relics. My mother was good friends with a lady who's husband was one of W-S Fire Chiefs from back in the 40's and 50's. She gave us all of his memorabilia with the old pictures of stations and newclippings and so on.

But anyways, I'm glad to see the buildings still standing and mostly still in use...

Neat pics! I have always been fascinated with old firehouses and firefighting relics. My mother was good friends with a lady who's husband was one of W-S Fire Chiefs from back in the 40's and 50's. She gave us all of his memorabilia with the old pictures of stations and newclippings and so on.

But anyways, I'm glad to see the buildings still standing and mostly still in use...

Yea, Its alway nice to know that Greensboro is still preserving its buildings despite the lost of other buildings such as the Guilford Hotel, the old O'Henry Hotel and the 13-story King Cotton Hotel.

In case you're interested, here's a vintage photo of the Southside station from when the adjacent A&P was still standing:

apsouthside.jpg

Thanks for the pic otherstream. The building still looks the same today except the building next to it is gone.