The Vue: R.I.P.

cdarr

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

12/19 CA article on Center City Commission hearing concerning the former Vue site: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5222749,00.html.

Interesting how the Turley project is the smallest, but seems to have the best backing. I still like the EFO proposal the best, though I wish they'd consider using the W brand instead of the untested A-Loft concept. They are shooting for a large-scope idea and it's good to see a mix of hotel, residential, and commercial.

12/19 CA article on Center City Commission hearing concerning the former Vue site: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5222749,00.html.

Interesting how the Turley project is the smallest, but seems to have the best backing. I still like the EFO proposal the best, though I wish they'd consider using the W brand instead of the untested A-Loft concept. They are shooting for a large-scope idea and it's good to see a mix of hotel, residential, and commercial.

They're definitely stacked because the RFP is for the "air rights" above the garage. I was wondering if the height noted in the article was total stories for the project, including garage, or just the building itself. For example, is the EFO project 28 stories plus 6 stories for the garage for a total of 34 or is it just 28 total with the garage included?

All seem like great projects, but I definitely would like to see the EFO team chosen. Maybe they could bring a little Dallas flair to our skyline!

Another proposal - the 24 story one from Nelson - will include a Hotel Monaco. Article in today's Daily News. They all look great to me (minus the 5 story one). The Nelson will have "24 floors of mixed use" and "6 stories of parking". I wonder if that'll be stacked or separate...??

This is the wording of the Daily News: "the Nelson CNC team envisions a 24-story, mixed-use development with an $11 million, 6-story parking garage." That could go either way, IMO - 24 counting the 6, or 24+6.

I'm all about this Hotel Monaco -- it looks really cool. I don't believe the 28-story plan has a hotel lined up yet?

This is the wording of the Daily News: "the Nelson CNC team envisions a 24-story, mixed-use development with an $11 million, 6-story parking garage." That could go either way, IMO - 24 counting the 6, or 24+6.

I'm all about this Hotel Monaco -- it looks really cool. I don't believe the 28-story plan has a hotel lined up yet?

• 1 month later...
That's very nice forward-thinking on their part. However, a problem emerges because the proposals were based on market conditions, vacancies, etc, that existed without any of the 4 proposals. The addition of even one of those proposals could affect the feasibility of the others. I hope not, but I'm just saying . . .

• 2 months later...

I think it is highly likely that this was very political, unless the other groups didn't have the cash. If the aLoft hotel proposal was really that great, they would probably consider building it somewhere else. The parking lot next to the Orpheum is an even better spot for development. We need far more apartments downtown, especially in the Beale Street/Main Street area. I think the old Union Planters building could be converted to mid-scale apartments with rents $700-1200 a month.

Archived