former N Sync band member says hes gay

cityboi

You guys have to excuse me for being so shocked. I kinda live a sheltered life. But, Amanda Bearse is dead? That's news to me. But you know, she was never girly and she was so militant on the show, it kinda showed.

And Johnny Mathis is gay? Well I actually knew that from looking info up on him, but I was more shocked that he's black!

Grover Cleveland????

I don't think Johnny Mathis is gay. He didn't say Amanda Bearse was dead, just that she was a lesbian. I had no earthly idea about Grandma Walton, though!

I apologize, it wasn't Grover Cleveland that was the gay President, it was James Buchanan.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing this thread here makes me wonder...

...does it even matter who's gay? Why is it such a big deal?

It's not at all, but it's interesting to note what famous people actually are/were. I love it when I hear people say that more people nowadays are choosing to be gay, no, more gay people are feeling comfortable with coming out these days since it's becoming more accepted in society.

And I always heard that Herbert Hoover was gay, am I wrong?

Sorry, it was just when he said "More celebrity lesbians who were outed either before or after their deaths" it just sounded like she was dead among that list. But I suppose he's right too... she's not dead... therefore it was before her death!

And I wasn't question Cleveland, it was another surprised response... as I am surprised about James Buchanan... Pat Buchanan no question!

And yeah I do think it's more about people being more comfortable than there are more gays out there today. It's like crime, it's always been here, but there's more coverage and more being reported.

Actually it was J.Edgar Hoover who was gay. He was the homosexual (and homophobic) tyrant of the FBI for decades. He had incriminating evidence on just about everybody, so no one dared out him.

He was as homophobic as they came. One of the biggest hipocrits in history. He even had an open boyfriend--Clyde Tolson, his second in command at the FBI!!

I must agree with several earlier posts though, who the hell gives a damn who's gay and who isn't?????

I think these days it's simply a fun bit of gossip to discuss who's gay and who isn't.....but how many people actually do give a damn? Not me.

Some day being gay, bisexual, transgendered or straight will be just like having blonde hair, black hair or brown hair. No one will give a sh!t and people will have types that they like just like some people now like black hair over blonde, etc. I can't wait.

The acceptance towards homosexuality grows with every poll taken year to year. Gays still have a long way to go though. We are still "weird and immoral" to enough people in this country to ensure continual Republican victories. I am still waiting for an A List star to come out. The reaction then will be more telling.

Actually it was J.Edgar Hoover who was gay. He was the homosexual (and homophobic) tyrant of the FBI for decades. He had incriminating evidence on just about everybody, so no one dared out him.

He was as homophobic as they came. One of the biggest hipocrits in history. He even had an open boyfriend--Clyde Tolson, his second in command at the FBI!!

I must agree with several earlier posts though, who the hell gives a damn who's gay and who isn't?????

I think these days it's simply a fun bit of gossip to discuss who's gay and who isn't.....but how many people actually do give a damn? Not me.

In a perfect society it really doesn't matter, but gay and lesbian youth (and adults to a certain extent) do not have enough role models and it is very important that gay and lesbian youth know who their forebears are. When I was growing up, the only people we knew were gay were the caricatures like Truman Capote and Liberace - not really the people I wanted as role models. It is most important for well known people to come out because so many gay teens don't have any role models in their personal lives. Hopefully, some day, all gay people will be out of the closet and it will totally be a non-issue.

^^ ah c'mon folks...it was just a poorly worded sentence! lol

Yes Marcy is ALIVE and as fabulous as ever!

Agnes, Dusty, and Grandma Walton are dead.

I do agree that young gay adults do need positive role models in this day and age. When I was a kid the only role models were Liberace, as mentioned earlier.....and Paul Lynde I guess.

Someone said an "A list" needs to come out. We already have A list gays who are out!

Lily Tomlin

Jody Foster

Dusty Springfield (dead)

Martina Navratolola

kd lang

Rupert Everette

Elton John

David Bowie (bisexual)

Sir Ian MeClellen

Wouldn't we agree these are all A list names?

I am not sure that someone like Elton John should be considered a role model. Fame doesn't necessairly mean they are something that one should aspire to be. I think the best role models in the Gay & Lesbian community are volunteers that work very hard to help those that the rest of society won't.

^^ ah c'mon folks...it was just a poorly worded sentence! lol

Yes Marcy is ALIVE and as fabulous as ever!

Agnes, Dusty, and Grandma Walton are dead.

I do agree that young gay adults do need positive role models in this day and age. When I was a kid the only role models were Liberace, as mentioned earlier.....and Paul Lynde I guess.

Someone said an "A list" needs to come out. We already have A list gays who are out!

Lily Tomlin

Jody Foster

Dusty Springfield (dead)

Martina Navratolola

kd lang

Rupert Everette

Elton John

David Bowie (bisexual)

Sir Ian MeClellen

Wouldn't we agree these are all A list names?

I loved Paul Lynde when I was a kid, though. I was always ecstatic when an episode of Bewitched had Uncle Arthur as a guest star. I'm sure I knew that we were family.

I have a friend who took his boyfriend to his high school prom...now that is a real life role model.

I am not sure that someone like Elton John should be considered a role model. Fame doesn't necessairly mean they are something that one should aspire to be. I think the best role models in the Gay & Lesbian community are volunteers that work very hard to help those that the rest of society won't.

I agree, while someone famous is great we need more local gay and lesbians to come out and be prominent in their communities. This will help lead gay youth and help to bring more "everyday folk" out of the closet.

I also wasn't aware Lucille Ball was such a supporter.

P6110376.jpg

She was at the Pride Parade in West Hollywood back in June fixin' up a bunch of brownies for the crowd!!!

:D

I agree, in fact I don't think celebrities are role models for anybody. Role models should be the quiet ones that do good and nobody even really knows about it.

I agree, in fact I don't think celebrities are role models for anybody. Role models should be the quiet ones that do good and nobody even really knows about it.

Folks, let's not lose sight of one important fact here; we're talking about AMERICANS! Substance and realism take a back seat to fame and fortune. We're the 15 minutes society. If you don't burn very bright during your brief time in the spotlight, you're nothing. Unfortuntately, the quiet ones in the background will go not just unnoticed, but more than likely unrecognized.

Unfortuntately, the quiet ones in the background will go not just unnoticed, but more than likely unrecognized.

They'll be better off in the end though. Most good deeds go un-noticed. I really dislike it when people do good merely for the sake of showing others that they did good, unless of course it's to set a positive example.

Some day being gay, bisexual, transgendered or straight will be just like having blonde hair, black hair or brown hair. No one will give a sh!t and people will have types that they like just like some people now like black hair over blonde, etc. I can't wait.

Some day in the future homosexuality might not even exist anymore.

Of course dedicated community based volunteers who are out and working for gay rights on a daily basis should be on the ones that get the attention but they don't in our celeb obsessed society. Its interesting that famous lesbian couples have made much more progress than their gay counterparts in Hollywood. Melissa Etheridge and Tammy Lynn Michaels, Ellen Degenerous and Portia de Rossi, Cynthia Nixon and her girlfriend. I wish gay celebrity couples were more public. I don't recall seeing a well know gay couple strolling hand and hand along the Oscar or Grammys red carpet yet. I still think there is more of an "ick" factor with gay couples as opposed to lesbians in the public eye. And not just because straight men think two women getting it on is so hot :lol:

^^I assume that means future genetic science will obliterate the "gay gene" if there is one (?)

If so, it will be the world's huge loss. Look all through history and see how homosexuals have been in the vanguard of world thinking and art.

It might not even be a gene, it could be something ridiculous like don't eat pickles between the 2nd and 3rd months of pregnancy.

I've yet to hear of any parent that said they wanted their unborn child to be a homosexual. I'm about 100% positive that if there were a way to find out and to deliver early treatment they would all take it to prevent it.

It's also why I think Down Syndrome will be a thing of the past. It's amazing what medical science is doing.

I don't think it will be a huge loss, I think those that were in world thinking and art would've done the same had they been heterosexual.

Of course dedicated community based volunteers who are out and working for gay rights on a daily basis should be on the ones that get the attention but they don't in our celeb obsessed society. Its interesting that famous lesbian couples have made much more progress than their gay counterparts in Hollywood. Melissa Etheridge and Tammy Lynn Michaels, Ellen Degenerous and Portia de Rossi, Cynthia Nixon and her girlfriend. I wish gay celebrity couples were more public. I don't recall seeing a well know gay couple strolling hand and hand along the Oscar or Grammys red carpet yet. I still think there is more of an "ick" factor with gay couples as opposed to lesbians in the public eye. And not just because straight men think two women getting it on is so hot :lol:

I've never cared for the 2 woman thing. Mostly because I can't identify with it-I can't imagine my vagina being rubbed against hers. I might get turned on if they're great looking and hearing their orgasmic moans, but as for the concept of 2 women going at it-it does nothing for me. I think because it's just fake-most real lesbians I've seen look pretty manly not like glamorous movie stars. My nephew has grown up in the age when lesbian=hot, and that's what he thinks because he doesn't know anything. I've told him when you come across a full blown lesbian odds are you'll think different.

On a lighter note:

Today for the fun of it, I surfed wikipedia's list of gay celebrities. Some surprises! and some we already knew:)

lesbians:

Tracy Chapman, Grammy winning singer

Joan Baez, early feminist singer and activist

Deborah Harry, YES EVEN BLONDIE IS GAY!

Fannie Flagg, TV personality and author of Fried Green Tomatoes

Leslie Gore, proto-feminist singer in the 1960s

Janis Ian, soulful 1970s singer

Cynthia Nixon, everyone probably knows her. Star of Sex in the City.

Tallulah Bankhead, outrageous eccentric and actress of yesteryear

Sara Gilbert, you'd have to be blind and deaf not to know Roseanne's TV daughter was gay

gay men:

Walt Whitman, author

Roddy McDowell, English actor that starred in everything including Planet of the Apes

Michael Stipe, frontman/singer for R.E.M.

Anderson Cooper, popular TV journalist

bisexuals:

Kathy Najimy, popular comedian, one of the stars of The Rat Race with John Cleese

Janis Joplin, superstar of 1960s music

Marlon Brando, everyone knows him

Billy Joe Armstrong, hugely popular lead singer of the group Greenday

Pink, popular singer

RICHARD BURTON--a huge surprise to me! wow!

Hopefully there are at least a few good role models in this list for gay youth:)

Archived