Do you have a Dog?

Do you have a Dog? If you have a dog, what kind of dog do you have? Was it from a store, breeder or pound? Moving into a new condo allows me to get a small to medium dog, but I can not find any local places that have Irish Terriers.

Also does Grand Rapids have a Dog Park? If not, do you think that Grand Rapids could develop a Dog Park?

*Note this is a replacement thread and after talking to Neo, this approach is more acceptable than saying that I am looking for an Irish Terrier since that just might could lead to advertising.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, my! Let me be the first to reply to this thread; a subject dear to my heart.

I own a six-year old Boston Terrier, "Jackie." I named her after Jackie Kennedy; the epitome of style and grace. We got her from Vicki's Pet Connection; a local non-profit rescue outfit. Jackie is the queen of my heart and the commander of my husband's soul, who obeys her every soulful request.

I often take Jackie to a dog park near here. You can read about it here:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/dogpark.aspx

There is another dog park in Kent County, Shaggy Pines, which is very nice but far, far away from central G.R. I'd much rather walk to a park than drive many miles to get to one. Shaggy Pines is only "nearby" to people in Ada.

I have two dogs actually, one Border Collie who we found at the Animal Shelter, and one Mixed breed horse-dog :P who we found at the Human Society in Walker when she was a pup. I'll have to find my photos of them.

My childhood dog was also a mixed breed dog, but she was medium-sized, all white fur, and was a great dog. She wasn't very socialized, but she was very sincere and kind to us, and when you are a kid thats all that matters ;)

Do you have a Dog? If you have a dog, what kind of dog do you have? Was it from a store, breeder or pound? Moving into a new condo allows me to get a small to medium dog, but I can not find any local places that have Irish Terriers.

Also does Grand Rapids have a Dog Park? If not, do you think that Grand Rapids could develop a Dog Park?

*Note this is a replacement thread and after talking to Neo, this approach is more acceptable than saying that I am looking for an Irish Terrier since that just might could lead to advertising.

Michaelskis, I sent you a PM about this if you haven't checked your messages.

I'm picking up this cutie on Saturday August 12th. A female Cocker Spaniel we are going to name Molly.

She's only 2 weeks old in those pictures. Her eyes aren't even open yet.

I think that your new dog wants to be a cheer leader. :yahoo:

I don't have one, but the Ms has a samoyed. Easily the most obedient dog I have ever come accross.

My family saved a Beagle that was drenched in motor oil + gasoline and set on fire, possibly run'd over, and left for dead. His coat was washed and he cleaned very nicely with minimal battle scares. What a fighter if you ask me. It was scared of everything. I remember the Beagle being terrified of our little black kitten. We eventually found it a great home at a rehab place somewhere in Ionia or Montcalm.

It's friggin true, dogs are truely man's best friend. Dogs can be shot and set on fire and still be your best friend.

Puppy mill horror stories abound, especially with "designer dogs." How about seeing who's at the Humane Society?

(I'm a cat person. Self-cleaning, affectionate, don't need to be walked, can be left for a couple days, don't tear up the place or make a lot of noise.)

Sadly, we had to put down our ten year old Shar-pei on Wednesday. I miss my little wrinkly dog!!! :(

sorry to hear that Nitro. :cry:

In my life I've had to have 4 dogs put down and it is never easy. Some people myself included believe that is the last kind act we do for our dogs.

I hope you get another one sometime in the future.

those little dogs that look like Toto are darling

Those are Cairn Terriers - my mom had one for 13 years - had to be put down last summer. (Sorry to hear about your Shar Pei, Nitro) They love to bark, are strong-willed little buggers - at least hers was! Their main purpose as a breed way back in the day was to root out vermin in stacks of rocks called Cairns. This can play out in today's Cairn like this - dog puts ball under couch or other furniture and barks incessantly until you get it out. Fun game!

I checked around and I was shocked as to how much breeders what for Irish Terrier Puppies (as much as $1000). I mean come-on, I am looking for a pet... not the next winner of the Westminster Dog Show!

Try buying an English Bull Dog pup. My buddy just unloaded about $1,300 for one. They go up from there.

Try buying an English Bull Dog pup. My buddy just unloaded about $1,300 for one. They go up from there.

I think a buddy of mine just spent the same. And I have to say, it's the best dog ever. Completely lazy. None of this going at 100mph 24 hours a day crap :). I'm not sure I've heard it bark either....

I checked around and I was shocked as to how much breeders what for Irish Terrier Puppies (as much as $1000). I mean come-on, I am looking for a pet... not the next winner of the Westminster Dog Show!

If you tell them you plan on getting it fixed and don't plan to show or breed you can get a discount sometimes.

Adorable! Post updated photos when you get her, okay?

Updated photos? Here are some from the woman who owns her mother. I apologize for the lower quality pictures, but I didn't take them. The picture on the lower right is the closest to her color. Age 4 weeks in these pictures.

collage8.jpg

collage8b.jpg

I think she looks like a Buffalo in this picture.

collage8c.jpg

collage8d.jpg

Archived