New Record for Construction Starts in Chattanooga

flith

Chattanooga has set a new record for the value of constructions. The $559 Mil figure includes the following major projects:

$318 Mil Chickamagua Lock Replacement

$299 Mil Blue Cross Blue Shield HQ

$125 Mil Hamilton County Government Projects

$40 Mil EPB Substations for Ooltewah, Enterprise South, and Tiftonia among other upgrades

$26 Mil One North Shore

$20 Mil EPB HQ

$28 Mil Parkview at Museum Bluffs

$17 Mil Mckee Expansion

$10 Mil Two North Shore

However new housing starts are down 8.9% for 2006 so far.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chattanooga has set a new record for the value of constructions. The $559 Mil figure includes the following major projects:

$318 Mil Chickamagua Lock Replacement

$299 Mil Blue Cross Blue Shield HQ

$125 Mil Hamilton County Government Projects

$40 Mil EPB Substations for Ooltewah, Enterprise South, and Tiftonia among other upgrades

$26 Mil One North Shore

$20 Mil EPB HQ

$28 Mil Parkview at Museum Bluffs

$17 Mil Mckee Expansion

$10 Mil Two North Shore

However new housing starts are down 8.9% for 2006 so far.

Actually, the $559 Million figure is for construction starts from July 2005 through June 2006. I don't think several of the above peojects including the $299 Million Blue Cross Blue Shield are in the $559 Million because they haven't started yet. It's clear that next year will be antother banner year for construction starts as well, possibly setting another new record.

Actually, the $559 Million figure is for construction starts from July 2005 through June 2006. I don't think several of the above peojects including the $299 Million Blue Cross Blue Shield are in the $559 Million because they haven't started yet. It's clear that next year will be antother banner year for construction starts as well, possibly setting another new record.

The title of the thread states Jul 2005- Jul 2006.

I don't know how starts are calculated, but I think its off of building permits. Anyway, the article in the TimesFreepress today credits them all to above mentioned time frame. I personally don't see how the EPB HQ is counted since Construction started over a year ago, and how the Chickamagua Lock's funding can all be counted at once since it will be funded in phases year by year as approved by Congress.

The title of the thread states Jul 2005- Jul 2006.

I don't know how starts are calculated, but I think its off of building permits. Anyway, the article in the TimesFreepress today credits them all to above mentioned time frame. I personally don't see how the EPB HQ is counted since Construction started over a year ago, and how the Chickamagua Lock's funding can all be counted at once since it will be funded in phases year by year as approved by Congress.

The list of projects, which are by no means complete, total up to $873 Million, way more than last year's $559 Million total. Therefore, plain and simple, some of those projects must be future projects that will be counted in next year's and other future year's totals. Working at McKee, I happen to know that the $17 Million listed for McKee is just for site prep, utility work and foundation construction. Architectural design for the building is not quite yet complete. Later on, tens of milllions of dollars more will be spent on completion of building construction and new state of the art production lines to go inside. Also, I doubt that building permits have been issued for all the projects listed, especially Two North Shore. They haven't even broken ground on One North Shore yet.

Archived