Natural Disaster in Michigan

Kayak1

When I worked for the State there were some discussions about a possible advertising campaign that would highlight Michigan's relative lack of natural disasters.

1. Couple in Michigan, reminiscing about former life in San Francisco during earthquake.

"remember our old apartment in SF?"

-thinks of earthquake, things falling off the shelf-

-puts china up on shelf, satisfied in knowing that it won't be falling off.

Announcer: "Michigan - refreshingly free of earthquakes"

etc. etc.

there were other ones, like a massive rainstorm in Seattle, flood in Nebraska, drought in AZ, hurricane in Florida.

the idea was ultimately nixed due to poor taste, esp. following Hurricane Katrina. :unsure:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I worked for the State there were some discussions about a possible advertising campaign that would highlight Michigan's relative lack of natural disasters.

1. Couple in Michigan, reminiscing about former life in San Francisco during earthquake.

"remember our old apartment in SF?"

-thinks of earthquake, things falling off the shelf-

-puts china up on shelf, satisfied in knowing that it won't be falling off.

Announcer: "Michigan - refreshingly free of earthquakes"

etc. etc.

there were other ones, like a massive rainstorm in Seattle, flood in Nebraska, drought in AZ, hurricane in Florida.

the idea was ultimately nixed due to poor taste, esp. following Hurricane Katrina. :unsure:

Huh. I remember one earthquake ever (summer 1987). In a shared house; the folks downstairs thought that someone upstairs had dropped something big and heavy, and vice-versa.

A friend has figured out where she wants to live based on natural disasters, having ruled out the usual suspects (California, deep south, et al).

Archived