JCPenney - which store(s) could close/relocate next?

Southpaw

With the relocation of the JCPenney store from Hickory Hollow Mall to Providence Marketplace in Mt. Juliet and new Stones River Mall location to be built, does anyone know if the CoolSprings or RiverGate locations would be next? Also, which department stores would make a good fit to replace them at each mall if JCP decided to move out?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well since there are fewer department store choices the answer is not easy. Nordstrom will put 1 store in the market so I would guess that would be in CSG although I would rather see in the gulch. Aside from Nordstrom.. all the other department stores that are left are themselves trying to get their act together after massive consolidation throughout the industry.

JCPenney doesn't need to leave CoolSprings or Rivergate malls. If the sales are good, there's nothing wrong with having a moderate-priced anchor like Penneys in those malls.

I agree. However, I've read somewhere that JCPenney was starting to open more free-standing locations instead of enclosed malls. So I was wondering if there was possibility that was going to happen with CSG or RM.

I agree. However, I've read somewhere that JCPenney was starting to open more free-standing locations instead of enclosed malls. So I was wondering if there was possibility that was going to happen with CSG or RM.
It's still on the table as a possibility, because Penney's stores in strip malls tend to have higher sales than their mall counterparts, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, especially at CoolSprings.

Archived